XR600r First day of riding, a couple of questions

After tearing it down, cleaning, rejetting, touch-up painting, & electrical work, I finally got it back together around 5:00pm and rode around town for a couple of hours. This bike is a BEAST!, fast, fast, fast, I may never ride my KLR again! I did notice a couple of things though, first it seems before bike is completely warmed up, the clutch feels like it is slipping a little, once warm it doesn't seem to do it at all. It has the 628 kit in it and the manual shows a clutch so I have to assume that when the kit was done a clutch upgrade was done also. Is that accurate or dop I have a problem I should look into? Second I hear a vibration it sounds like the front of the engine, I first thought it was valves but it just doesn't have that same sound, anything anyone else has experienced?

When I pulled the carb apart there was a 158 main jet installed, and the power up manual calls for a 152, so I changed it out, I could'nt feel any real difference, except a little less hesitation at full throttle. The pilot jet was completely plugged, I don't know how it would even start before, it took me about 15 minutes if cleaning to get all the crap out. It now starts on the first kick and idles very nice, it is smooth and no fluxuation as before. I'm sure thouroughly cleaning the carb and setting back to spec made the difference. Is there any reason why I would run the 158 over the 152? Like I said it seemed more responsive with the 152 main.

Tomorrow I am going to take a ride into the foothills and get onto some Forestry roads and really see what this bike can do. Riding in the city it is an absolute monster, not very tame at all, I find myself leaning forward when taking off from stoplights to keep the front wheel on the ground. I'll bet most people wish they had that problem, now I know why all you XR guys always seemed so happy. I'm glad I found out what I was missing.

ur gunna luv the XR...:thumbsup:

i sold my KLR soon after i got the XR...i had hoped to do sum DS rides but ended up more of a weekend rider and enjoy get'n dirty way more than riding the slab...

the bike makes gud power with a few tweeks and is a great fit for a tall rider.

in comparison the XR will feel very light since u've lost over 100lbs, easy to toss around and pick up after a biff...the XR is also alot of fun for hooligan riding around the neighborhood...they r easy to work on and very reliable w/ minimal maintenence...get the bike dial-in and just add gas :moon: :moon:

:p

just wait until u get it REALLY dialed in... :ride: :ride:

:lol:

1.) Check that there is some free play in the clutch cable. If there is some free play and it still slips, then plan on replacing at least the friction discs and springs.

2.) Go by the spark plug color, not "recommended" jet sizes. I would have left the 158 main in it unless the plug showed an obvious rich condition. 152 is small no matter how you slice it. Actually, I would suggest putting the 158 back in.

What altitude are you at? It makes a big difference for the jetting. My more stock 600 likes a 158 jet if under 5000 feet or so. I ride a lot of different altitudes and I just live with it. Rich is better than lean.

just wait until u get it REALLY dialed in... :thumbsup::moon:

:moon:

Better performance still to come? I like it!

What altitude are you at? It makes a big difference for the jetting. My more stock 600 likes a 158 jet if under 5000 feet or so. I ride a lot of different altitudes and I just live with it. Rich is better than lean.

Im in Fresno, CA, Altitude Sea Level. I guess I'll put the 158 back in.

1.) Check that there is some free play in the clutch cable. If there is some free play and it still slips, then plan on replacing at least the friction discs and springs.

2.) Go by the spark plug color, not "recommended" jet sizes. I would have left the 158 main in it unless the plug showed an obvious rich condition. 152 is small no matter how you slice it. Actually, I would suggest putting the 158 back in.

Plug looked good, the only thing that did not need changing. Brand new clutch cable, I'll check the adjustment.

Thanks for all the good info everybody, I really appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Mark

What about you wanting to trade me???:thumbsup:

What about you wanting to trade me???:moon:

I forgot about that part!:thumbsup:

A 650R with exhaust uncorked is suppose to have a 175 or higher jetting even without any engine mods! If you have a power kit 158 main sounds VERY lean. I am running a 180 as suggested by FMF with a completely stock engine uncorked and free flowing.

Yeah, but a built 600 makes about the same power as an uncorked 650R.

Depending on what exhaust is on the bike, a simple 37cc increase isn't going to need a big change in jetting. Who knows, it might even benefit from a 160 or 162 main.

Believe it or not, when I got my 600 it had 65/158 jets in it. That's with a cam, ported head, and some big exhaust. Obviously it wasn't the right jetting, but it did run without missing. I was rejetting it almost immediately after I got the bike, so I don't know how long it would have gone at WOT before meltdown. Just think, I was trying to jet around a loose coil wire and ended up saving the engine by accident. :thumbsup: