forks for the DR

There are a lot of forks for sale on ebay...which ones would be a good swap for the forks on the DR 650??? specifically the KTM forks??? what years are models would work??? and what about trees??? Thanks for any information....

I don't know but it'd be good info to have.

hopefully somebody will come along who knows!

Ditto.

Hope I havn`t made a cock up but I`ve just bought a complete KTM LC4 front end for $200. Hope it fits without too much modification.

from what loose ends i've gather the lc4's should fit without problem... you'll have to let us know though. i tried getting as much info on this but it seems some of the info out there is a bit misleading. i've read about 43mm ktm forks fitting but the only 43mm ktm forks are from an 80 or slightly bigger cc ktm... way too small obviously...

specifically the KTM forks??? what years are models would work??? and what about trees??? Thanks for any information....

If you do a search for "KTM forks" you will find that I have answered that exact question a couple of times.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7518250

i tried getting as much info on this but it seems some of the info out there is a bit misleading. i've read about 43mm ktm forks fitting but the only 43mm ktm forks are from an 80 or slightly bigger cc ktm... way too small obviously...

What info is misleading? I posted that the 43mm forks will fit, and they do. Get your facts straight, all the big KTM thumpers had 43mm forks at some point including 520 EXC and 640 LC4. Heck, the 625 SXC still had them in 2007!

RM 125/250 99-2000 and drz400e 2002-2007 (the adj ones) i know these fit as i have fitted both on my 07, which is going up for sale soon.

If you do a search for "KTM forks" you will find that I have answered that exact question a couple of times.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7518250

What info is misleading? I posted that the 43mm forks will fit, and they do. Get your facts straight, all the big KTM thumpers had 43mm forks at some point including 520 EXC and 640 LC4. Heck, the 625 SXC still had them in 2007!

there's just alot of info out there that contradicts itself. i didn't say your info is. from what i've read though you haven't exactly come out and specifically said what forks off what year bike you used. fact is i've been trying to sort through all this and only ktm forks i have found so far are 48mm... so instead of telling me to get my facts straight(btw your link doesn't work) why not fill us in on what exactly you used and save us all the hassle? i mean you already posted here would it hurt to say... '94 ktm 640 lc4 or whatever you used? sorry but just seem a little condescending in your post.

Hi Guys, I have 2004 yz 450f forks on mine pretty straight forward,mounting speedo and light and ignition swich is the biggest prob but you will have that with any swap.

Cheers,Al.

Hi Guys, I have 2004 yz 450f forks on mine pretty straight forward,mounting speedo and light and ignition swich is the biggest prob but you will have that with any swap.

Cheers,Al.

Good one Al, hows the centrestand going ?

Hi all

I have just recently installed 2001 RM125 showa forks on mine with a pro taper top triple and fatty bars the conversion was effortless it was like it was made for it, the biggest thing to consider is the springs i got lucky and the bike was sprung for a 200lb rider so i redid the oil and its great, the ignition is no longer able to lock on the head but i never used it anyway if you order drz400sm headlight brackets than everyhting bolts on like i said as if it was all meant to be, and when you go for your first ride man oh man you will never go back to those conventionals ever, and to top it all of they look pretty frickin cool :moon:

the biggest cost is the tire because yours won't work on the rm forks, i have a vapor speedo and i scored a tire and rim with the package, the dr caliper bolts on perfectly though so don't waste money on a new caliper :thumbsup:

and you wil have to use the smaller rm/drz disc or get an oversized conversion for just under a million dollars, but all in all very easy very affordable and way better in the dirt

Hi all

I have just recently installed 2001 RM125 showa forks on mine with a pro taper top triple and fatty bars the conversion was effortless it was like it was made for it, the biggest thing to consider is the springs i got lucky and the bike was sprung for a 200lb rider so i redid the oil and its great, the ignition is no longer able to lock on the head but i never used it anyway if you order drz400sm headlight brackets than everyhting bolts on like i said as if it was all meant to be, and when you go for your first ride man oh man you will never go back to those conventionals ever, and to top it all of they look pretty frickin cool :moon:

the biggest cost is the tire because yours won't work on the rm forks, i have a vapor speedo and i scored a tire and rim with the package, the dr caliper bolts on perfectly though so don't waste money on a new caliper :thumbsup:

and you wil have to use the smaller rm/drz disc or get an oversized conversion for just under a million dollars, but all in all very easy very affordable and way better in the dirt

got any pics of it all?

Not yet but i will take some today or tommorrow i didn't even think to snap photos as i was doing it,:thumbsup: but i will get some of the finished product

I am not sure if these will show but here goes, i actually had to add an 1-1/2" to my kick stand because after i preloaded my rear shock and changed the front the free sag is almost normal and the stand was too short it felt like the bike was going to tip over when i leaned ot over

100_8661.jpg

100_8662.jpg

100_8664.jpg

100_8665.jpg

100_8668.jpg

100_8670.jpg

100_8669.jpg

damn, nice bro :thumbsup:

That's a really great write up..., Thanks for the info and the pics...just a couple of questions...bear with me....will the stock DR brake rotor not bolt up to the rim??? You said the caliper would, but I am puzzled abou the rotor??

Where did you source the forks anyway??? Fleabay??? and if you don't mind sharing what you paid for them??? I assume that since your using a vapor speedo, that the rim you are using doesn't come with a speedo drive??? What about a smaller rim?? I'm thinking of sumo'ing my DR and want to go with possibly a 17 or 19 inch rim... Thanks for your help...

Hi there, no the DR rotor has a different bolt pattern than the RM but the caliper is a perfect fit i think it is a suzuki mass production thing yes i sourced the forks, the triple, the caliper which i didn't need the rim the spacers and the axle all from ebay all from the same person except the rim and tire i had to buy from another ebayer i was working on a deal for the entire front end from the same guy but as we were discussing details back and forth via email his rim/tire sold so i got everthing else but the rim and tire and i paid 300 shipping included than another hudred and twenty for the tire and rim from the other guy, and yes the vapor speedo allowed me to stick with the RM rim which made it that much easier to convert the drawback is that the rm rotor is smaller in diameter but it still stops good if you wanted to supermoto and were using the rm front end i would bet you could source drz400sm rims and they would bolt right up i hope i answered everything if not just let me know i would be more than happy to help any way i can also if you were going to supermoto it and wanted an oversize rotor they make and sell them for the rm/drz as a kit with a bracket to extend your caliper out for the larger diameter but i thought the money was not worth the end result so i left it alone once you start sourcing it all out you will find that alot of the rm/drz400 parts are interchangable

Just bought front from KTM 525 SX (48mm). Hopefully I can make it fit 1993 DR650RSE...

Just bought front from KTM 525 SX (48mm). Hopefully I can make it fit 1993 DR650RSE...

Got forks home today:

img1606825.jpg

Installing seems quite easy. Original steering axle is a bit different, 1mm bigger from lower end and 5mm smaller from bigger end. Distance between upper and lower bearing is just about the same as original! So maybe it needs just new steering axle or if possible only new special size bearings. Will be seen what I can find out.

But the front brake is something that I am wondering. What brakes have you been using with new fronts? I had this KTM front brake with forks:

img1606828.jpg

That is KTM (Brembo) with two 28mm pistons. Originally that was for 260mm disc in about 120kg bike. DR had originally two 30mm pistons and 300mm disc.

Friend of mine has same looking Brembo caliber in BMW F650GS Dakar. There might be 30mm pistons but I'm not sure yet. Brake disc is 300mm in BMW.

So would that KTM caliber with 320mm disc be bad choise for DR?? Please share information if you have for example 260mm disc and some two piston caliber?? How is that working in DR??

EDIT: And FYI front wheel will probably be KTM wheel with 320mm supermoto disc. Hopefully I can find wider than 1,60x21 rim. I think originally DR has over 2" wide rim?!

Check with Hessler from Hessler Rallye Team, for a fee he modifies KTM triples to fit the earlier DR. Not needed for 96+ models.

I have tried most of the KTM brake options, but I need to know how are you going to use your bike. Off-road, on the street, with or without luggage, big tank etc.

Check with Hessler from Hessler Rallye Team, for a fee he modifies KTM triples to fit the earlier DR. Not needed for 96+ models.

I have tried most of the KTM brake options, but I need to know how are you going to use your bike. Off-road, on the street, with or without luggage, big tank etc.

OK, I'll try Stefan.

My riding will be allmost everything. On road (tarmac, gravel roads) and off road (gravel pit, muddy fields etc). There is one mx track with soft sand that maybe will be one of my favourites. I also will be using bike for commuting and perhaps I will some day go to racetrack for few laps fun. And also maybe some day there will be time for winter riding. Maybe I can say that serious supermoto is something that I wont be doing! :bonk:

And I will be allways driving alone, with small bags.

Did that help for brake selection?!