Right hand turns

i can dominate a good left hander because i can steer with the rear brake and use my left foot, but right handers i have a big issue getting any kinda speed because i have no brake to steer me and foot to balance me at the same time. I know this is just the nature of the beast but some tips to improve my right handers would be great

You can still use the rear brake-not quite as long if you have to put your foot down but you can get the bike pretty sideways before that point.

I had to work a while on this, but i keep my right leg tucked against the bike when i come in right handers it takes some time getting used to, but it made me faster.I like to think of it like surfing on the bike. Try to keep your feet up a couple times.If you dont like it dont do it. Just my .02

start using the throttle like your using your brake to throw the rear sideways when your going into a corner.

brakes just slow you down anyways

I have better success when I don't use the brake. I try to tilt my weight forward and to the right and then gun it- hit the throttle. You have to be careful that the bike doesn't slide out from under you (don't ask how I know). This works for turning in either direction.

D

It is a common occurance for riders to turn to the left better than right. Even if they don't use a brake slide technique. The same tips apply for both left and right. Weight the outside peg is one of the major that seems to apply always, body position varies between riders, for me sliding as far fwd on the seat as I can, shove the bike down into the turn while keeping my upper body more or less upright. I generally keep my feet up, unless it is to save the bike from washing out. I ride a 4 st and drive as deep into the turn as I can, get the braking done prior to enterring, and get back on the gas as soon as possible after the apex to drive out of the turn.

In long sweeping turns, it can be beneficial to use the inside foot out and fwd to counter-balance.

brakes just slow you down anyways

No they also steer and can be used to control the postion of the bike or your body in the air.

The rear brake is actually probably more effective at the things I mentioned than it is stopping power.. the rear doesnt have alot of that.

I'm the opposite. It doesn't matter what kind of turn, im faster on right handers. Maybe because im right-handed :thumbsup:

I'm faster on right handers but I think its because on my little track the tightest turn is a tight right hander coming off the longest straight. I practiced them so much I'm almost more comfortable turning right then left.

Oh yea I'm left handed so I don't think that makes a difference.

I'm the opposite. It doesn't matter what kind of turn, im faster on right handers. Maybe because im right-handed :thumbsup:

hmm thats weird, it could be possible that you are just better oriented with controlling that side of your body.

Normally they are more difficult for a variety of reasons (atleast what i think)

#1 cant put your foot down because ur braking

#2 cant put your body in the same position for same reason

#3 if you are the type to turn your bars when turning it jams the throttle hand

#4 the exhaust is on that side and gives it a different feel and is a tad bulkier on that side

All of those things combined seem to make it a lil trickier for me.. only suggestion I could have is brake harder before a right turn and then steer more with the throttle. helps to reduce some of the factors that i listed.

I don't know, my usual track has more left handers than rights, maybe im just more comfortable with right handers.

i know i can do left and right almost equally on my streetbike, because i have my knee out and i can feel what im doing while not worrying if the bike is gonna topple, on mud its a different story haha

All of your braking should be completed before starting the turn unless you are going to brake slide.

If you are going to brake slide, lock the rear tire and throttle on prior to completing the slide.

In either case, your right foot is free prior to needing the counter weight for steering purposes.

no matter what the turn, you shouln't need to put your leg out untill the turn's apex (the point you transition from braking to accalerating), a common mistake is to put your foot out to early in the turn, through the apex and then not bring it back onto the peg untill well past the turn, in reality you should be trying to have your foot off the peg for as little time as possible, the foot should be on right up until the apex (well past your braking point), then as soon as the bike start's to straiten out under accaleration on the exit the foot should be strait back onto the peg for better stability and control of the bike.

and when the foot does come out, it should be strait forward, poiting towards the front wheel and as close to the bike as possible, the idea to to get weight over the front tire to aid in traction prevent it from washing out, with proper technique you shoulnt'd have to touch the ground, when your foot hit's the ground, it's unbalencing the bike and making your life harder.

i'd suggest practicing your technique for both right and left hand turns a little more.

haha i used to own at left turns, but then i broke my left ankle, and i suck at them... some how in this i got the ability to own at right hand turns :bonk: figure that one out... so if you want to get good at right turns, break your left ankle

ive broken my right heel before (non bike related) maybe thats why i suck at right hand turns and own left handers haha

one thing that helped me on right hand turns is the obvious practice, i have some woods out at my house and i just made a little path through it and made sharp left and right handers, go through it, try different body positions, braking time and stiffness, lean more or less and get what you are comfortable with and go with it, not everyone is going to have the same turning methods but it doesnt hurt to ask for advice!

with proper technique you shoulnt'd have to touch the ground, when your foot hit's the ground, it's unbalencing the bike and making your life harder.

I'm glad someone said that. Good advice from a 17 year old. Gas to you!