Screws rattling around inside engine ??? Oh %$#^#

I was cleaning the carb bowl on my 1993 XR600R the other day and a carb bowl screw fell into the Case vent that is right under the carb :thumbsup: I had taken the hose off the fitting to make room for the screwdriver... Anyways, my question is, since the screw fell into that little metal tube sticking out of the top of the rear case, right under the carb, is it going to get into the engine and gears and tear itself apart ? Or is the screw to big to get past the air passages, and just sit there for eternity not hurting anything ? If one of you guys with knowlege of the inner workings of the engine could give me advice on what to do I would greatly appreciate it.

JetPilot

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that passage drops right down into the transmission and it is bad news to have a screw rattling around free in there.

You can retrieve the screw, as long as you don't move the bike at all from it's current position, or, if you feel like turning it upside down to keep the loose part high in the tranny. Was is a brass bolt? If so, the tranny will eat it. If it was a steel bolt, the tranny will get eaten.

Try this: a flexible neodymium magnet on flexible wire

http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/62

You might also want to try flushing it out with copious amounts of diesel/kerosene. Make sure to check your collection pan to make sure it's been flushed out before firing the bike up, or it could mean big $$ for an engine/tranny rebuild. :thumbsup:

I can relate to this ..Heres my story. I had just got my engine back from a major reco and had the bike sitting idling in the garage while I got the oil levels right. Next second their was an enormous bang like the big end had suddenly given way.Obviously I shut the bike down and upon inspection of the counter shaft sprocket I found that it would not go round. I rang the mechanic who had just done the reco and took the engine back for him to have a look at. He had to strip it down to the box and what did he find but a small piece of alloy from one of the casings had come away and fallen directly into the gears jamming them completely. Now brass is harder than the crap alloy these motors are made from and if it had been brass I would imagine the damage would have been substantial. Thankfully their was no damage to my bike but it cost the poor mechanic a lot of time to strip and rebuild the motor..If the screws in the bottom it should be fine..If not prepare for strip down.

If I recall right that breather goes into a couple of passages before it gets to any of the transmission gears. I highly doubt that bolt will go anywhere.

I have my XRR in pieces and I could take pictures to show you want I am talking about but it is not the exact same configuration.

If I recall right that breather goes into a couple of passages before it gets to any of the transmission gears. I highly doubt that bolt will go anywhere.

I have my XRR in pieces and I could take pictures to show you want I am talking about but it is not the exact same configuration.

Yeah, I thought there was a type of "baffle" in there that might keep the screw from dropping down into the case.

If you could post some pictures, it would help greatly !!! I would be great to either know it will never be a problem, or being able to see what it looks like would help me guide a strong magnet to fish it out which would even be better. Right now, I am fishing totally blind and will probably never find the screw. I would feel much better riding this bike cross country if I could see what this looked like inside and get the screw out.... I ride in some very remote areas in South America, no roads, where people have not passed for years... I really need this bike to be reliable as possible.

Thanks,

Mike

lets put it this way...if i'm unlucky enough to drop something in my motor i'm going fish'n or in after it :moon:

there's a shop manual in the sticky on top of this board and it looks like that vent enters buy the crank the it's a straght shot forward to the transmission :thumbsup:

might be worth spending an hour or so with a magnet... maybe not...

gud luck!

:moon:

Have ya considered draining all the oil, leaving the oil plug out of the case, duct tape the hose of a shop vack over the case vent so that it's air tight and turn er on (the shop vac)?

That's how I get things like wire nuts, rocks and other anoying errors out of conduit.

There is no manual for the XR600R there.. I downloaded the manuals for the 650L and 600R, but I cant tell where that screw would end up from the manuals... Anyone ever split the case on the 600R that would know the answer to this ?

Thanks,

Mike

here is a picture of what the breather cavity looks like. If you have good fishing skills and have not moved the bike around much you might get lucky. if the screw moves towards the front of the motor :thumbsup:

crankcasebreather001.jpg

Thanks so much for the picture Setpho, you rock :thumbsup: I think the screw went towards the front as I have done a fair amount of fishing so far and even turned the bike upside down and every which way trying to get the screw in reach :moon: Is that hole in the case towards the front the only possible exit from that air chamber ? If so, where would the screw go if it went into the hole and down ? It is very possible that the screw went into that passage towards the front, and that I might need to look for the screw further down the line now, but I dont want to split the cases apart for this if I dont have to.

Mike

I do believe that hole in the front is the only escape route right to the clutch area. The crankcase gasket seals off the area from the other half of the case.

On the plus side the clutch side of the motor is easy to remove and reinstall if needed.

there is also a hole opposite of that front hole about the same dimension on the other crankcase half. it would drop down in either the clutch cover side or i have an idea. If you take the cover off the stator side you can remove the starter idler gear and shaft, that is where the hole on the opposite side is located. if you remove that shaft you might be able to use a telescoping magnet from the shaft side and maybe get lucky. if not try the clutch cover side. good luck.

There is no manual for the XR600R there.. I downloaded the manuals for the 650L and 600R, but I cant tell where that screw would end up from the manuals... Anyone ever split the case on the 600R that would know the answer to this ?

Thanks,

Mike

Check the new manual I added to the FAQ.

Here's my take for what it is worth,the cavity that the screw dropped in is gussetted or baffled ? but for arguments sake I will call them gussetts and the screw is more than likely caught up in one of the gussetts,which would make fishing it out with a magnet all but impossible.

The cavity has two holes at the other end of the cavity to where the screw dropped in and it has to get past all those little gussetts before it will take a 90 degree turn and drop through the holes.one hole leads to the clutch side and the other to the fly wheel. If the screw has managed to make its way out off the holes ,which with all the gussetts in there I think is unlikely,if the motor hasn't been running .The screw would most likely be found either down near the kickstarter recoil spring behind the clutch or if it fell down the other side hole it would drop down near the fly wheel.If it has dropped down the fly wheel side it might pay to see if is stuck to one of the magnets inside the fly wheel. Hope that make sense,I have a stripped down engine in the shed and just went down and checked it out. You could try standing the bike vertically as in an extreme wheelstand position so the screw falls backwards under the vent pipe then do some fishing.

Cheers

Mick

Did anyone hear if he found the screw??

Hi Everyone,

My motorcycle is located in Peru, or I should say XR heaven :bonk: Anyways, I cant get back to Peru this week, to much work, but I have gotten my magnets packed already and will do my best to fish it out when I go back in a couple weeks. The Carb float screws are kind of long, so it may have a very hard time getting past gussetts, and 90 degree turns etc..., in which case I will just ride and hope they never escape thier oily tomb. I did run the bike in an attempt to get it out, but no sign of the screw anywhere. The pictures help immensely, now I know where to put my very strong magnets, if it is still in the top of the engine. I dont mind taking the side covers off the engine, I will look around the flywheel and kickstarter, but I draw the line at splitting the case looking for a screw that may never escape the small passage :bonk: . I will let you all know what I find.

JettPilot