Short ride at Mattawa 11-15-2008 (report w/pics)

The last ride I did was Sept 27,2008 at Taneum. I rode my DRZ400S from my house to Taneum and did a short ride in my street cloths and tennis shoes. I paid the price for that when my right foot was knocked off the foot peg when it hit a tree or rock. It hurt so bad that I couldn't open my eyes to see what had cause the excruciating pain. I took weeks to heal. After the ride I attended the Volunteer Banquet put on by the Cle Elum Ranger District.

I didn't do much riding this summer due to foot/ankle problems which riding seemed to aggravate. In fact everything seemed to aggravate them. Even weight lifting at the gym would cause a flair up so I eventually quit the gym and bought a bow flex. I had no idea that the bow flex would in any way help my feet but it did. The feet/ankles are getting stronger every week and I am one happy camper. I thank God daily.

I woke up late this morning planning on riding Saddle Mtn. alone and take a lot of pictures. By the time I got my 525 to start (been sitting since August) and loaded up it was late and I figured I would still get 2 or 3 hours of riding in before dark. So off to Mattawa I drove. As I pulled into the staging area there was a familiar old friend standing there watching me. Jay had been riding by himself and had loaded up to leave. We talked for a few minutes and he unloaded his bike to ride with me. I told him I needed to get to the out house cause I was in a bad way. I led the ride into one of the Eastern Ravines and then straight to the out house at the cabin. It was touch and go as to if I would get there on time. You see I have been recovering from bronchitis and was on an antibiotic that was giving me the runs.

Here is Jay at the cabin watching me try to get my gear off quick enough to prevent an accident. I am sure he thought it was quite funny (actually I took this picture after using the out-house but Jay was watching me try to get my gear off in that same spot):

417812653_q2BRb-L.jpg

And here I am posing after being relieved:

417813600_ZAyuS-L.jpg

Obviously I didn't stop to take any more pictures since we were losing day light. We rode cross country making our own trails all the way back to the trucks. It was a beautiful day and I wished I had prepared the night before so I could have enjoyed a longer ride. Still after 2 months with no off road riding it was very pleasurable. The soil is starting to dry out and the sand will become deep and loose in the next week if we do not get some more rain. No dust to speak of yet.

We arrived back at the trucks just as the sun was setting and loaded up our bikes.

417813100_ZaUvr-L.jpg

Jay and I stood around talking politics and what had recently happened both in the National and Washington state's elections. Of course it was like attending a conservative convention as we talked about what the future seems to hold.

While we were talking I snapped a couple pics of the sunset and we left shortly after the sun completely set.

417814312_UDuqS-L.jpg

417814543_a4qRW-L.jpg

I should be giving quite a few ride reports this winter. This one is short and the subject matter questionable as far as ride reports go. It's not often that an out house is the center piece of a ride report. Have fun this winter guys. I hope to be riding with many of you. :thumbsup::moon: :moon:

Nick...GREAT to see you back in the saddle!! wooo hooo!!! see you out there.

3 of us rode naches today and had a good ride also.

Joe

Hope to see you out at Saddle Mountain this winter Nick.:thumbsup:

Joe, how much snow was there in Naches?

Glad to see you out and about Nick..

TONY

Glad you had a good ride Nick. Katy and I had planned to go back to Mattawa yesterday ourselves. (we rode there the Saturday before) However, it had been really warm this past week and we felt (correctly by the way) that enough snow had melted that we could ride up the Walla Walla river trail.

Our ride report from yesterday is at: Walla Walla River Ride

In any case, plan to be back at Mattawa a few times before the end of the year. We have been riding our dual sports so much this summer and fall that we have not been on the orange bikes much. We are planning a Christmas to New Year Moab trip and need to get some time in on our orange bikes before then. Mattawa is a good place to prepare for Moab. In any case, other that Thanksgiving weekend when we are busy, any Saturday when the weather is okay, we will be at either Mattawa or Juniper. Hope to see you on one of our trips. :thumbsup:

If you know ahead of time that you are going and post it, it may help us decide between Juniper and Mattawa.

Glad you had a good ride Nick. Katy and I had planned to go back to Mattawa yesterday ourselves. (we rode there the Saturday before) However, it had been really warm this past week and we felt (correctly by the way) that enough snow had melted that we could ride up the Walla Walla river trail.

Our ride report from yesterday is at: Walla Walla River Ride

In any case, plan to be back at Mattawa a few times before the end of the year. We have been riding our dual sports so much this summer and fall that we have not been on the orange bikes much. We are planning a Christmas to New Year Moab trip and need to get some time in on our orange bikes before then. Mattawa is a good place to prepare for Moab. In any case, other that Thanksgiving weekend when we are busy, any Saturday when the weather is okay, we will be at either Mattawa or Juniper. Hope to see you on one of our trips. :moon:

If you know ahead of time that you are going and post it, it may help us decide between Juniper and Mattawa.

Alan and Katy, I will try to post every time I plan on going. Love riding with you folks. See ya this winter. I believe I will be at Mattawa this next Saturday. The only thing that may prevent me is some kind people in Woodinville who are replacing their kitchen cabinets have offered me their old one for free. I need new cabinets cause I plan on redoing my kitchen this winter. Great deal their house can't be more than 8 years old. :thumbsup:

BTW, that ride report and pictures were absolutely great. There were a few open face drop offs with no trees that would have concerned me if the trail was too narrow. You know I am just a big baby. Oh, did ya try those red berries out? They looked yummy. :moon:

Have you been in my neighborhood lately Nick? :thumbsup:

TONY

Have you been in my neighborhood lately Nick? :moon:

TONY

No Tony I haven't. I need to stop by and see how the construction is coming. They could have built your new house since the last time I stopped by. :thumbsup:

dj...only snow at naches/taneum was above about 5000 ft. we had to turn back though at the top ( almost) of clifty . otherwise awesome fall riding. we did run into maybe 7-8 downed trees along our 48 mile route but iron man Dion carried his 20" chainsaw so we cut 'em out....got a head start on net years trail clearing.

Joe

Might try to hit it once more this year,

:thumbsup:

Very funny report Nick. :thumbsup:

I sent you a PM.

later

danny