Noob Q: Fuel cans -- CARB legal a requirement?

(First, sorry for the embarrassingly newbie question. Second, I hope this sub-forum is appropriate for the question.)

Looking into starting dirt riding for the first time ever, and I'm noticing some fuel jugs sold as california models/C.A.R.B. legal, etc.

Will I run into any issues (at state parks) if I try to use a non CARB-legal "Utility" fuel jug, without the spill proof nozzle? The CARB ones don't seem to be reviewed well, and they're oddly pricey.

Thanks!

mike

No. People use non carb legal fuel cans at the parks all the time. Not high on the radar at all.

Thank you kindly!

I have heard horror stories about folks getting pricey tickets from the CHP for having a non-CARB container, but these were all way back when and I don't hear them anymore.

I would think that you could still use the older cans. You just can't buy one. The new ones are terrible. I don't see how spilling gas all over the bike can be better for the environment than pouring gas directly into the tank w/o spilling any.

I would think that you could still use the older cans. You just can't buy one. The new ones are terrible. I don't see how spilling gas all over the bike can be better for the environment than pouring gas directly into the tank w/o spilling any.

I think it is more a transportation issue. If it gets knocked over, it could spill all out if you don't have the cap on it. Where the CARB one is a automatic shut off. You can still get the old ones, they are just calle Utility Jugs, not gas cans.

I think it is more a transportation issue. If it gets knocked over, it could spill all out if you don't have the cap on it. Where the CARB one is a automatic shut off. You can still get the old ones, they are just calle Utility Jugs, not gas cans.

yup, and they come with a big sticker with "do not fill with gas" on the side.

The automatic shutoff doesn't always work as intended. In almost 5 yrs of riding I've probably spilled close to a gallon of gas trying to use my CARB approved gas can.

BTW I've never spilled any gas while using a utility jug

I've had friends get the CHP "transportation" tickets with the old gas cans with the fill hoses attached. As said earlier, I think because of the possibility of spillage if they were to be knocked over with the fill hose attached. I have since been transporting my old jugs w/ out the fill hose attached (just the screw-on cap) and have had encounters with the law and nothing has been said about them.