A Hawgish solution to a noisy Pig.

Not to long ago I posted a thread about my T-4 being too loud (it went WAY off track, and kind of my own fault). Well an HD buddy of mine suggested that I use a steel scrubbing pad instead of fiberglass. He said to get the kind with the heavier strands and not steel wool or anything with detergent in it.

He said that it won't break down and blow glass fiber all over my bike. But will quiet my pipes plenty. He normally rolls open pipe but uses that to square the occasional fix it ticket.

I may have to give that a go and see how it works.

Sounds possible. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the noise, I wish mine was a lot quieter. I now have a FMF header and R4 muffler. The power is amazing but the noise is way too much. It's too bad that we can't cut down on noise without taking away a good chunk of power. I am considering making or buying a reduction tip for the end of the muffler so I can change from loud to quiet in a matter of seconds. I have done this before and it works very well!

Another thing I could think of would be a LARGE muffler like from a streetbike. It would gradually reduce the sound waves without restricting the flow that much.

It's like choosing enduro tires. If you get a street or in between tire you will not be able to go in any mud or sand without dumping the bike, buy a knobbie and it will wear much faster and be a handful on the road. You have to choose one or the other.

I use a R-4 with their quit tip(with the small holes drilled a little larger) installed and a packing kit with the stainless screening that goes on first. It dosn't seem chock it at all and is fairly quit.

DSCN5149.jpg

If you start to worry just think about the harleys that fly around town and the cops look the other way. You are quieter then most of the loud piped harleys out there!! That's how I look at it when I worry about getting hassled. This is a bullet proof defense. Officer this is discrimination, you and I both know that if it were a harley instead of a dirtbike you would not of pulled me over. All of us have observed this at one time or another and though WOW how can they get away with those stupidly loud bikes!!? It should be breech of peace!!

Steel scrubber will last longer but they attenuate the sound as will as glass.

Tight packed glass will last longer, but won't attenuate as well as loose pack.

I went to ACE today. Couln't find any stanless scrubbies.

But did find a pack of heavy duty Steel wool. It's got some realy heavy strands and seems to be holding together pretty well.

Not too worried about rust as I have a stainless can. But will keep my eyes open for a stainless scrubbie and try that when I can.

Not too worried about rust as I have a stainless can. But will keep my eyes open for a stainless scrubbie and try that when I can.

The regular (ferrous) steel may be OK short term, or to use for sound tests, etc., but it will rust into oblivion, and blow out the end of the pipe as iron oxide particles.

As we know, the by product of a gasoline engine is (theoretically) just CO2 and H20. Since O2 and H20 will be present in abundance, rust should happen rapidly.

A stainless wool should last quite a long time (stainless will eventually become contaminated). I'd think a year or so would be probable. :thumbsup:

we used a fiberglass / stainless mesh two stage muffler on a S&S 126 motor and it did quiet it down signiffigantly we did however lose about 5 hp and 8 foot lbs. but the cops leave that bike alone. which do you want A hassle or just to back off the throttle and cruzzze by. you decide

I don't know if this will help at all, but we use a product for bat exclusion called "Stuff-It."

It's basically a 5"x50' roll of copper mesh that can be stuffed into gaps, crevices, etc.

I have no idea how it would react in an exhaust system, but it's cheap and readily available at Wildlife Control Supplies.com http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NWS001&Category_Code=NWS2300

and other places.

Dave

Hmmm...interesting...copper wool or brass wool may work just as well. :thumbsup:

If you start to worry just think about the harleys that fly around town and the cops look the other way. You are quieter then most of the loud piped harleys out there!! That's how I look at it when I worry about getting hassled. This is a bullet proof defense. Officer this is discrimination, you and I both know that if it were a harley instead of a dirtbike you would not of pulled me over. All of us have observed this at one time or another and though WOW how can they get away with those stupidly loud bikes!!? It should be breech of peace!!

Really? You think so? Good luck with that...

But did find a pack of heavy duty Steel wool. It's got some realy heavy strands and seems to be holding together pretty well.

i wud do a flamability test on that steel wool since its oiled and the finer stuff makes for an great fire starter for camping...:moon:

flames showering outta ur pig is more likely to get the LEO's attention than the sound level :moon:

:thumbsup:

haha flame throwing pig..5they would be to amazed at seeing flames come out to even hear the noise

i wud do a flamability test on that steel wool since its oiled and the finer stuff makes for an great fire starter for camping...:moon:

flames showering outta ur pig is more likely to get the LEO's attention than the sound level :ride:

:moon:

Bummer.... No flames :ride:

I rode arround a bit yesterday and no blowing of flames. But that would have been way cool to see! :thumbsup:

i wud do a flammability test on that steel wool since its oiled and the finer stuff makes for an great fire starter for camping...:ride:

flames showering Uta ur pig is more likely to get the LEO's attention than the sound level :ride:

Flammability test....only an engineer would say that! Lets set up a test lab, write some qualification by similarity reports...steel wool vs fiber packing...have a few meetings and of course wait for the tech to show up and do all the work!:thumbsup:

Even Denn 1 would rip into you over that!

Flammability test....only an engineer would say that! Lets set up a test lab, write some qualification by similarity reports...steel wool vs fiber packing...have a few meetings and of course wait for the tech to show up and do all the work!:moon:

Even Denn 1 would rip into you over that!

:ride:

u never heard of flammability testing...

we often refer to it as the "Norze Test"...:thumbsup::moon:

...flame on brother Norze :ride:

:p:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did a flammability test with a propane torch.

Pirate_with_torch.gif

The strands heated until they turned orange then sparked a bit and fell apart. but when I pulled the torch away they cooled and hardened with no flame. I'll open my can tomorrow and have a look. I doubt the exhaust is hot enough back by the can to even heat em to glow. But I will exercise due diligence.

Did a flammability test with a propane torch.

Pirate_with_torch.gif

The strands heated until they turned orange then sparked a bit and fell apart. but when I pulled the torch away they cooled and hardened with no flame. I'll open my can tomorrow and have a look. I doubt the exhaust is hot enough back by the can to even heat em to glow. But I will exercise due diligence.

wuts that saying...

...when ur azz is on fire it's easy to forget u were just trying to quite ur pipes!

hahahaaaa....or sumthing like that :moon:

:thumbsup:

P.S. Norze shud be able to relate to a flamming azz! :moon: