atf type F in tranny?????

i'm boke after buying two bikes. the guy that answers maintanace questions on the dirt rider web site says it's cool to run atf type F in your tranny of a 2 stroke. would be cheap and easy to get, but is this a dessaster waiting to happen?????????????????? have searched these forums and seen many view points, but just want to know if doing this will hurt my bike. thanks :moon: :moon: :thumbsup:

No it won't hurt your bike and it works great, I've been using for several years now.

I've also been doing this for several years. It works great! Especially in the colder seasons. It seems to cure a lot of the notchy shifting and dragging clutches (thinner fluid). I have yet to see any excess wear because of it.

Aparently Gas Gas now recomends using atf in their trials bikes, gives the clutch a more consistant feel and less drag on the plates.

But I fail to see how using atf will save you some money, atf is about the same price as oil.

+1 ATF, good feel!

Aparently Gas Gas now recomends using atf in their trials bikes, gives the clutch a more consistant feel and less drag on the plates.

But I fail to see how using atf will save you some money, atf is about the same price as oil.

Yes, it's about the same price as motor oil, but probably much cheaper than bel ray gear saver or whatever.

i run that in my wr and i run it in my 5 spd trans in my car & truck !

zero problems 1000's of miles later

sounds good to me! i've just been running crankcase oil in mine... would like to use something that will shift better :thumbsup:

ATF is the same price as oil because really it just is oil. It's only red to avoid confusion with motor oil.

i went ahead and put in some atf. funny how you could spend hours reading debates in this and other forums on wether to use it or not. but i don't race, or ride on a track so even on the gear wear subject i don't think it''ll effect me. thanks for the input guys.

my only worry would be about the clutch but i guess it work fine

Ive been running it for 4 years. I race H/S and Enduros so there's alot of clutch use and have never had a problem..

Ive been running it for 4 years. I race H/S and Enduros so there's alot of clutch use and have never had a problem..

what brand are you running.. valvoline, amsoil ect..

what brand are you running.. valvoline, amsoil ect..

Some cheap shat from WALMART I change it evory 2 rides:thumbsup:

haha! ^

buy it by the jug mattskn, eh?

haha! ^

buy it by the jug mattskn, eh?

I buy it every time im at walmart..A 3 hrs H/S is really hard on the clutch and the motor is a 275 so it ads that little bit more were...This is the year for a new clutch inner hub and basket, I got 2 full seasons out of it.:thumbsup:

I'm totally on-board with your method. The snickering was in agreement :thumbsup:

I think I will start buying the jugs of stuff because it's cheaper in bulk and it will encourage me to change it a lot.

The idea of changing the stuff frequently is one that I like because the clutch parts make the fluid dirty and the heat from the clutch beats on the fluid as well.

Btw- your sig is one of my favorite Lebowski quotes.

I like Walter's lines too:

"has the whole world gone crazy!? [waves gun] Am I the only one around here who gives a Sh** about the rules!? [cocks gun] mark it zero!"

mister Sobchak is quite a character :moon: