Most miles on a TE610?

A) Wondering who has the highest miles on one of the "previous generation" (1999-2007, I think?) TE-610?

:thumbsup: Any issues (outside of ordinary maintenance) that you've encountered? I know there's something about the countersprocket nut, and I've also heard some carb and electrical rumblings - anything to REALLY be concerned about?

FWIW, I'm a Honda guy that rides about 15-20K a year, trying to convince myself to be a Husky guy. Never been stranded by a bike aside from flat tires - wondering if this would continue w/ the 610 as my primary machine?

Thanks for all objective input!

'98-'99 First generation, designated TE610E, not imported to the US. There should be some high mileage bikes in Europe and OZ.

'00-'04 Second generation, same bodywork, some revisions, no kick start.

'06-'08 (a few were '05 models in some markets) Third generation, designated TE610. Complete revision of bike with updated frame, bodywork, suspension, carb, exhaust. '07, some markets get EFI, '08, US gets EFI.

I have an '03 I bought new in '04. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it, as I ride my enduro bike ('02 WR125) many more miles a year than the DS bike. I've had no issues and it still has the original battery. My dealer has sold many TE610E's and TE610 DS models. The '00 bikes he sold are still going strong, but I can't tell you if they are high mileage.

I think it was the nut on the counter balancer gear that was a problem on '06 bikes(CS sprocket) is held on by circlip, no nut). Cam chains have been a problem on some '06 and up bikes.

Yahoo TE610E bb has the oldest bikes on it and ADV Rider has a big '06 up group. Good luck, great bikes.

Norman

On ADVrider we have a few guys that have 30,000. miles on their 2006 TE610s. They are more maintenance than a XR650R but less than a KTM. We have to do valve adjustments every 5,000. miles and a new timing chain every 10,000. miles. The motor is solid and holds 2 quarts of oil so we expect to be able to get at least 30,000. plus miles before a full engine rebuild. The bike is awesome for true dual sporting and adventure riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406358

I started this thread over on ADVrider a week or so ago. Has some good info on the older model Husky dual sports. I started a similar thread here with some good stuff in it too.

FYI - I just bought a 00 TE610E and havent even picked it up yet. It only has 5kmi, so it will be at least a few weeks before I push the 30kmi mark....haha :thumbsup:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406358

I started this thread over on ADVrider a week or so ago. Has some good info on the older model Husky dual sports. I started a similar thread here with some good stuff in it too.

FYI - I just bought a 00 TE610E and havent even picked it up yet. It only has 5kmi, so it will be at least a few weeks before I push the 30kmi mark....haha :thumbsup:

welcome to thumpertalk ,

the 410 and 610 e never really caught on in the UK , so there is not a vast dealer knowledge , but they are good , tough bikes ,

parts on the earlier bikes are interchangeable with left -kick models.

where in the UK are you?? ,

Charlie

I'm the original owner of an old '95 610. Even without a proper oil pump the thing was the most reliable bike I've ever had. I rode the dog crap out of it for years, mostly off road, and all I had to do was adjust the valves and replace the typical wear items, chains, sprockets, clutches etc. I'm sure the much improved e-start models should last a long long time.

A while ago it started making a weird ticking noise. The cam chain seemed okay and I couldn't figure out what it was. Took it to the local mechanic and he tore it apart and couldn't figure it out either, so I just kept riding it. Then while ringing it's neck on the highway, it died and wouldn't fire. I kinda suspected the flywheel magnets, but before I tore into it I found a freshly rebuilt '95 610 engine on ebay with an Athens big bore kit and got it for a few hundred dollars.

I love that bike.:thumbsup:

welcome to thumpertalk ,

the 410 and 610 e never really caught on in the UK , so there is not a vast dealer knowledge , but they are good , tough bikes ,

parts on the earlier bikes are interchangeable with left -kick models.

where in the UK are you?? ,

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

I'm right in central London, Bayswater area. Where do you hang your hat? Thanks for the welcome. Are you riding the TE610 as well? It would be awesome to have a local with some hand on husky knowledge. Even if you're not, I just moved to London 4 days ago so it would be great to have a local show me some nice back roads and greenlanes to get my feet wet. I have to admit, embarking on a 125 mile maiden voyage this morning with no gps, no map on my 4th day driving on the left was a little intimidating. The rain sprinkles up in Norwich at the beginning didnt help either.

As for the bike, my 00 is really a 99 I believe. After some more research, it looks like all 98+ TE610E and SM610E huskies in the UK have the right kick, left chain, "dual sport" engine. Mine is a little strange, it is badged on all the paperwork (even the original reg doc/mot/whatever) as being a TE610E, but for the life of me it looks like the guy before converted it to the Supermoto front (which is nice actually) and newer TE or SM rear fender. The dealer threw some 18/21s back on with some nice Pirelli knobbies, so who really cares anyway? .Still has the same old 9 liter tank tho :thumbsup: . I'll be adding fuel capacity ASAP. I definitely need to beef up the forks and do some carb fiddling ASAP too.

Anywho, let me know if you are close to town and let's get em muddy.

Hi Muggins I have a lot of Husky stuff and do bike repairs if you need any help give me a call.Paul 01483850024 Guildford surrey