Sign in to follow this  

Purchase of 09 KLR650

As all of you know already,Ive been riding XRs since the dawn of modern man,Ive given this subject much thought Ive done all the homework,Ive read every comparison,and every test Ive been able to find,for the riding I am gonna do,My choice is a KLR 650,simple,it comes better equipped than the XRL,or the Yamaha,bottom line,its liquid cooled,it already has stock many of the add ons that I would normally add to a bike,with a little fine:ride: tuning,pipe,re-jet,air filter,maby open up the airbox,aluminum bars,tires,it would be a 2012 survival machine,that I feel could serve all purposes,Ive been in contact with guys,one was 83!that rode this bike,or a comparable example from places like Texas,and Memphis,to the Panama canal!Im a retired Army vet,living in Panama already,my idea is to ride it back to the states,to see my mother in louisiana,and then on to Florida to tend my 2 acre rental property,and see some friends,and go to the VA for a bottle of pills or 2.I see no reason why this cant be done,Ive already got the route from another biker,who GPSed the whole trip,he has the food,fuel,lodging all mapped out,Im gonna go for it,I just would like some feed back from some KLR owners,a cop is coming over to buy my XR 250 Ive been riding it dual sport since 2000,it has never let me down!It is fully street legal,oil is changed every 500 miles,like clock work,it still looks new,I just put a rear tire on it monday,I go through them like water.I did all the mods myself,I used my blown 96 xrl250 parts bike to make it street legal. KLR-650,and away we go!:moon: :thumbsup:also,its an 09,and its blue and black.I hope all my XR brothers dont get mad at me for the mutiney,but there not available here,and Kawasaki is,nothing personal,just business.:thumbsup:

Well,I see Kawasaki owners really are a different breed,Excuse me,theres tons of other sites,Ill go there for my info.Thanks for nothing!!!

Better late than never. Congrats on getting the KLR. :bonk:

I bought a used 07 a few months ago and really like it. I wanted something with extended range and higher cruising speeds than my XR400. The only thing I've added to mine so far are a GPS, tank bag, and Dirt Bagz saddle bags.

The weather is pretty cold here in PA right now so I'm looking at heated grips and jacket liner to extend the season.

Hope you enjoy your KLR. :bonk:

I bought a 2007 still on the showroom beside the 08's. I love it, i already own an ST1300 so i'm a honda fan too. I gre up riding dirt bikes, had some small XRs as a kid, i forgot how much i missed the feel that a dual sport has on the street, good luck with yours

Sorry XR RON

Just remembered to check the KLR section.

Dont sell your XR.

The KLR is good for its purposes but you will miss the XR.

I kept My XR and use it for its purposes.

The KLR is a great bike- I will keep it for a long time but does not have the off-road capabilities of an XR.

Check KLR650.net- great site- everything you will need to mod the bike correctly.

Well,I see Kawasaki owners really are a different breed,Excuse me,theres tons of other sites,Ill go there for my info.Thanks for nothing!!!

Were you asking for information? :bonk: It looked to me as though you were announcing that you were getting a KLR. I am in just the opposite boat as you, I have a KLR and just bought a 1992 XR600, for something just a little more dirt worthy. The KLR is a great bike and is my favorite for taking trips. It is easily outfitted and make a fantastic dual sport adventure bike. It is just a little heavy and underpowered for anything other than logging or fire roads, Not a great dirt bike. You will really like the KLR most who own them do, but if you really want serious off road capability, yout XR is much better suited.

Enjoy the KLR it's good at everything and great at nothing.:bonk:

Mark

Were you asking for information? :bonk: It looked to me as though you were announcing that you were getting a KLR. I am in just the opposite boat as you, I have a KLR and just bought a 1992 XR600, for something just a little more dirt worthy. The KLR is a great bike and is my favorite for taking trips. It is easily outfitted and make a fantastic dual sport adventure bike. It is just a little heavy and underpowered for anything other than logging or fire roads, Not a great dirt bike. You will really like the KLR most who own them do, but if you really want serious off road capability, yout XR is much better suited.

Enjoy the KLR it's good at everything and great at nothing.:bonk:

Mark

The XR250 may be better suited for off road but it would be murder riding it from Panama to WDC IMO.

Go over to klr650.net and you'll be overwhelmed with the info and support. And congrats on the new bike!

Thanks for the replies,all of you!,As of now,I still have the XR250,the cop that was gonna buy it couldnt get his money right,Im gonna ride the KLR from Panama to the USA and back,I cant wait to finally get on the road touring!

Thanks again!!

Congrats Ron, If your going to be doing a road trip like that you may want to go to a 16 tooth front sprocket. It cuts back on the rpms a little on the hi-way. Just a thought, Enjoy!!

Congrats on the KLR man! They are great bikes. I have owned two and am honestly thinking about spinning the need for another one to the wife but with a DR650, a DL 100o and a 250 KTM in the garage it migh be a tough sell.....

Any way, sign up for ADVrider and post your the report of your trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

They love that sort of thing! Most of us want to few of us get to.

Congrats on the new bike. Don't know what year but I would upgrade the doohicky before a trip like that. Other upgrades to suit youself. They are good bikes. Have a safe trip.

I posted on here while I was in the process of getting my KLR. It took a day or two to get any responses and I finally went over to KLR650.net and found out why hardly any one replied on TT.

I love my KLR - Its the perfect 20/80 DS dirt cadillac while my tagged XR400 is the 80/20 DS I grab when I want to do some serious off roading.

Why didn't you just keep the XR250 and have the best of both worlds?

XRRon,

If your XR250 is in decent shape, keep it! The KLR may be your daily ride or your long hauler, but you're gonna itch for that XR250 and wish you'd kept it!

:busted: