Carb Question. on 2001 drz 400s

I have been told that the Mikuni carb isn't equipped with an overflow. so with the manual petcock the only way of keeping gas out of the crankcase is turning the petcock off. if I forget to do this onece my oil is immeadiatly contaminated. what other options should I look into?

Your Petcock, does it have On Pri Res on it??

If so its a Vacuum operated petcock and will only flow when the motor is running.

Either a different tank/petcock combo, or a different carb. That is, if you think you'll have trouble remembering to turn the fuel off.

If so its a Vacuum operated petcock and will only flow when the motor is running.

nope ON,OFF,RES. its an aceribis 4 gal tank w/ two manual petcocks. what should I replace them with? because this seems like the simplest and cheapest route?

I have been told that the Mikuni carb isn't equipped with an overflow---Yes, correct for US bikes with the Mikuni.

So with the manual petcock the only way of keeping gas out of the crankcase is turning the petcock off.--- No. Well yes, well maybe. The carb float valve is not reliable long term to hold back fuel. But it all depends on the particular carb. Many, maybe most, would not be a problem for an hr. But overnight for sure turn it off. With a manual petcock you just have to learn to turn it off every time you park. Some times you will get lucky and forgetting will not be a problem, other times it will.

If I forget to do this once my oil is immediately contaminated.---No. See above and it depends on how fast the leak is and how long it sets with the gas on. And if the intake valves are open or closed. If the valves are closed it will flood the air box first

What other options should I look into?----Buy an EU float bowl. EU bikes had a carb drain and manual petcocks. Or at least the older ones did.

Provided the damn thing is actually working as intended.