Bloody Unbelievable!

Well fellas,

Not long ago I took the plunge and grabbed a second bike - 07 YZ250. Always wanted a jap 2T crosser, so bought it with the intent of running it as a second 'experimental' bike for enduro only applications.

Hmmm, after today I reckon I might be putting the 08 KTM 300 EXC on the market! This thing is unreal.

I rode a mix of hardpack flat track and hardpack MX track before switching to tight woods singletrack.

Now I know what its like to turn corners again.

The previous owner has had the suspenders tweaked for enduro application. After five minutes on the bike I was blown away by the bikes stability at speed and under heavy brakes - without sacrificing sharp turn in. My KTM kicks on rough terrain and the front loves to push in corners.

Getting right up on the tank and cranking the YZ over sees this thing rail corners, even long sweeping off camber turns. Moving too far forward on the KTM has the bike knifing in a heartbeat.

Its gets better too - this engine hauls. Its mighty ballsy and has awesome over rev. I thought it might take some adjusting, but I after a few laps I was already feeling at home. Gotta love that 2T hit!

The next test will be to see how the YZ handles the tighter more technical / hilly terrain. Muddy conditions will be interesting too. I like to use a lot of clutch on the trails and I reckon my hand will fatigue pretty quickly. The hydraulic clutch on the KTM feels a lot better - gotta adjust to the cable setup.

Anyway, this is just a quick blurb to let you all know how I got on and to thank those that have answered my questions in the lead up to the purchase.

Can't wait to hit the trails again on this thing! I'm still pumped from today's ride, and just had to share it with a bunch of guys who I know appreciate what its like to wear a 2T grin :moon:

So umm, anyone interested in buying a second hand KTM :thumbsup:

Bergermeister

Put a FWW on it for the tight/nasty stuff and you'll like it even more :thumbsup:

Im looking to pick up an 06+ yz250 for some woods type riding really soon and I love hearing reviews like this one. Congrats on the purchase.

it sure is an amazing bike thats for sure

Congratulations on the new relationship! I'm glad someone is out riding right now :thumbsup:

I enjoyed reading your report! It was more informative than the ones that just say "i love this thing- it's so strong! bye" Ha ha.

You should put that post in the KTM 2stroke forum:lol: :thumbsup: . I have a good friend who has been riding a yz250 for years, and just bought a KTM 300xc-w. Brand spanking new. Said he wouldn't buy it again, and would buy another YZ next time.

Hey I too have converted to a YZ 250. I have a 08 KTM 450 EXCR and 05 Honda CRF 250X with a 280 Athena kit. I hadn't been on a 2t since 1972. Just out of curiosity I bought a new leftover 06 YZ and like you I have found it to be an exceptional bike. I have a 11oz flywheel weight, power valve spacer and FMF Gnarly pipe. I ride all trails. The suspension with no real work ( just some clicker adjustments) is phenomenal. Cornering is unbelievable and the power so much fun I laugh out loud in my helmet. I have been riding it double the amount of my other two bikes and am now contemplating selling them. I just ordered a hydraulic clutch for it and I'll be anxious to hear your report on how it climbs etc.

Thats all I use my yz for is the tight nasty trails and lots of hill climbs. I just love it. Ive ridden the 09' ktm 300xc for quite some time on the same trails and it didnt compair in my mind. it was just to tame, felt wide, and couldnt throw it around as much. good choice on the yz:thumbsup:

My friend has the 300KTM 2 stroke. I have an 05 YZ250. Can I assume that I'm faster (acceleration wise); just in case I need to go toe to toe with him? He said my bike has a pretty hard hit after it dumped him on his a$$ (to my dismay). We don't live near each other any more. I just want to make sure that if I brag I'm on the right side of this should it become "proven".

Peter

I think that in a straight line, the yz will win until it tops out because of its close ratio gears. That one is probably going to come down to the rider more than anything. The 300 motor is mellower, but if you really whack the throttle, it will get up and go in a hurry.

I believe what sold me on the yz 250 was the light weight. KTM had that as well until he electric starter was added. A cool feature, but I dont need or want that.

I've never understood why people like the e-start so much. It just adds weight to a nice bike imo. It's one thing to have it on a bigpig xr or something.

My yz is the lightest I've ridden... for the amount of power that is. My friend's crf50 was lighter but only had like 10" wheels :thumbsup:

Thread starter: any more ride reporting you want to share? :moon:

Rode my 02 in the tight woods for hours yesterday. Darn thing beat me to death. Now I'm talking about tight root invested rough technical stuff. Steep climbs with rocks, roots and stumps hanging out all over the place.

My bro on a KTM 520 just cruised. Even though I've had both ends of my suspension mellowed way out and proper spring rates I still felt like I was taking a beating. Another friend on a KTM 200 just cruises over the rough stuff. I can't figure it out. Soft valving and set up for my weight. Some times I just want to give up on the thing. Oh well, back to the 13 oz fww from the 11, the 50 or maybe a 51 in the back (49 now) and another talk with my suspension guy.

Oh, YZ's have loads of torque with a Gnarly. And, jetted perfectly on a cool day at 3500 ft and the YZ is a wheelie machine. It doesn't lack on power. Turning is also great. I'm just getting so beat that my upper body feels like I just got done with a boxing match when I'm finished.

I personally wish I had an e start on my YZ. If you get stuck on the way up a nasty wet slick climb in the woods e start is the difference between exhaustion and fun.

The hit makes a bike feel fast but you have to be more scientific. A steady hard pull can be faster. I found that out while playing with different cams on my YZ 426.

My friend has the 300KTM 2 stroke. I have an 05 YZ250. Can I assume that I'm faster (acceleration wise); just in case I need to go toe to toe with him? He said my bike has a pretty hard hit after it dumped him on his a$$ (to my dismay). We don't live near each other any more. I just want to make sure that if I brag I'm on the right side of this should it become "proven".

Peter

Peter, dont be scared. Go kick the pumpkins *SS. The YZ accelerates quicker, and handles better. The YZ will out turn the KTM every time.

I use a 13 OZ FWW for the tight technical stuff along with the Gnarly and it is a formidable woods weapon. :thumbsup:

I've never understood why people like the e-start so much. :thumbsup:

Ever stall a bike and can't touch the ground with either foot by about a foot or so ?

I personally wish I had an e start on my YZ. If you get stuck on the way up a nasty wet slick climb in the woods e start is the difference between exhaustion and fun.
Ever stall a bike and can't touch the ground with either foot by about a foot or so ?

Auto Clutch - impossible to stall.:thumbsup:

I'm just getting so beat that my upper body feels like I just got done with a boxing match when I'm finished.

Maybe some modded '06 forks then? I hope you find the cure for getting beat up in the woods. You should ride their bikes for a whole day on the same course to be sure.

yup... with my husky 610... on a muddy hill with ice underneath the mud. I fell over and slid half-pinned under the b ike underneath an electric fence. Kicking the bike on its side didn't work too well so I decided to get out from under the fence and give 'er a kick. fifty kicks later and my previously upside-down flooded engine was roaring again. That wasn't the only time that I had an accident on a hill though:thumbsup:

kicking a little 250 is like standing up from a chair- easy...

just my opinion.