USED FCRMX Install - no start

Finally getting around to finishing up the FCRMX install on my 02 DRZ400S. Been waiting for jets, extd fuel screw, O rings, etc.

Installed and now the bike won't start.

So far I've relocated the mounting bracket, installed manifold nipple and run it to the fuel petcock, installed extd fuel screw (2 turns out), completed O ring mod, installed correct jetting (155 main, 45 pilot) and changed needle (EMS) per the chart.

bike turns over, but won't fire.

I pulled plug and I'm getting spark. I am able to drain gas from the carb drain so I believe I'm getting fuel.

The carb has two plugs (red and black) on my MX carb. I believe the red one is for choke, but what is the black one for?

It's been a while since I started this project so I'm trying to remember if I disconnected anything. There's a triangular black plug at the top of the airbox. I don't remember it going to anything, can anyone confirm? It's a male plug that fits the TPS plus off the FCRMX Carb, which I've just zip tied under the seat.

Problems: mainly the bike won't start. choke (red plug) hits fuel petcock, need new cables as mine are hitting the engine. (my bike came with Edlebrock carb and different cables). I couldn't get them to fit the FCRMX carb, not long enough and the cables that came with the carb hit the engine. I was told this combo came from another 400S.

anyone care to take a guess?

Black is choke, red is hot start. Perhaps they are installed wrong. The plug went to the TPS on the old carb, not to worry.

Was the carb new? Are you sure it is a FCR-MX and not a regular FCR or a slant FCR?

Did you have the slide out?

Was the plug wet when you pulled it after the no start?

what about the vacum hose to the petcock ?

installed manifold nipple and run it to the fuel petcock
I am able to drain gas from the carb drain

Still waiting to hear if the plug was wet.

actually the plug was bone dry, so I'm not getting fuel.

carb was bought used. fairly sure it's a FCR MX carb.

I don't have a pics of the carb, but it looks like this one ebay, but cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Keihin-FCR-MX-CARBURETOR-CARB-DRZ-400-KLX-YZ-WR-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120331518115QQitemZ120331518115QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

5NL1000K14 is marked on it's side.

installed vacuum hose from fuel petcock & manifold, is that correct?

actually the plug was bone dry, so I'm not getting fuel.

carb was bought used. fairly sure it's a FCR MX carb.

I don't have a pics of the carb, but it looks like this one ebay, but cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Keihin-FCR-MX-CARBURETOR-CARB-DRZ-400-KLX-YZ-WR-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120331518115QQitemZ120331518115QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

5NL1000K14 is marked on it's side.

installed vacuum hose from fuel petcock & manifold, is that correct?

There are two holes in the manifold.....Should be a plug in the upper...and the vaccum line to the petcock should be in the lower. Looks like a old fcr...Couldn`t say if is a fcr-mx.

Erling

You said it was a while since you started this. Have you tried fresh gas? Tried the petcock in the prime position?

I have the right plug for the vacuum line.

I started the bike 2 weeks ago with the gas in there and it started with the old carb, but did add a gallon of fresh gas. I did try the petcock on prime as well. It seems I'm not getting enough fuel in the bowl, will need to pull the bowl and check the float.

That would be my next thought. Used carb. May have been sitting for a while. I'd pull it apart and give it a good cleaning.