Love my WR250R ... but Yamaha's are supposed to be Yellow

In keeping with a few other posts I made here. This thread is dedicated to WR250R owners who also used to ride Yamaha's when they were Yellow.

I finally found my old scrap books from when I raced. 1973 thru 1977. Scrambles, motocross, short track and enduros. Here are some shots from way back then that I scanned in.

Enjoy and let's see some of your Yellow days!

This one is from 1976. 125cc Yamaha YZ. Racing in the 125cc expert class at the Berkshire Motocross MC event held in Claverack, NY.

I am just about to land off a jump (take off area not in picture) into one big mud puddle. :-)

yamaha76-2.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18/21 wheels? Or 17/21?

I want to Photoshop-compare with the WR250R/X.

Not sure but guessing the rear was a 17.

Just from the picture, that rear looks small.

I know it had a cheng shing, knock off of a super digger tire on rear, I think the pipe was a DG, check those plastic levers and my bell moto 3 helmet.?

But did you have one of these bumper stickers? Just needed a yamahauler to put it on.

CIMG0206.jpg

Just noticed that my pipe is on the right side and yours routes from the left.

Pretty sure it was a 76 though.

Hmmmmm ... I thought it was a 76. But not 100% sure right now. Need to look around and see if I can find some more info from back then.

I know the pipe was stock. I did put on a Preston Petty front fender, Magura clutch/brake levers, ?????? bars and Oury grips.

Custom painted Bell helmet and Torsten Hallman leathers ... that's right, real leather racing pants. LOL

Q&D visual comparo below based off getting the front rims the same width. Plenty of differences to eyeball.

The rear wheel is 16".

What stands out to me is how much further back the YZ grips are - probably 4" further back from the fork, and on a 3-5" shorter wheelbase! The pegs are also further back on the antique:), in proportion to the wheelbase, but not as much as the grips.

Compared to the good old days, Yamaha wants us to move forward and rotate our upper bodies even further forward.

(Miami, tell me if you don't want your pic here, and I'll delete it.)

09wr250r76yz125.jpg

Q&D visual comparo below based off getting the front rims the same width. Plenty of differences to eyeball.

The rear wheel is 16".

What stands out to me is how much further back the YZ grips are - probably 4" further back from the fork, and on a 3-5" shorter wheelbase! The pegs are also further back on the antique:), in proportion to the wheelbase, but not as much as the grips.

Compared to the good old days, Yamaha wants us to move forward and rotate our upper bodies even further forward.

(Miami, tell me if you don't want your pic here, and I'll delete it.)

09wr250r76yz125.jpg

No problem at all with the pic, cool comparison.