blown shock seals?

Ok my dad just got a 2004 kx250f. This is his first mx bike and we are just tearind it down right now. When you press the shock down it leaves some oil on the rod. My dad is wondering is the seal blown? Also can you put oil in the shock because there is a little hole. Any input is taken.

thanks

eric

blown fork seals. Ijust had to pay $150 to get my front shocks serviced because it was leaking oil.

Ok my dad just got a 2004 kx250f. This is his first mx bike and we are just tearind it down right now. When you press the shock down it leaves some oil on the rod. My dad is wondering is the seal blown? Also can you put oil in the shock because there is a little hole. Any input is taken.

thanks

eric

Seal is probably gone..... no you can't add oil to the shock. Have it serviced or do it yourselves. Better have the forks done to. I bought a used bike that had a bad fork seal and I rode it with no oil in the fork leg. I know:bonk: . Better to get it all straightened out before riding it.

thanks

eric

If the bike hasn´t been ridden for some time, it could leave a very little amount of oil on the shaft. It will go away when you start riding the bike with a little luck, I´ve seen it happen.

But, Im guessing in your case, as it sounds, that the seal is blown. It´s time to service the shock. Let a shop do it if you are not completely sure of what you are doing.

Keep in mind that the shock contains nitrogen gas compressed to more than 10 Bars of pressure. It can explode if tempered with in the wrong way.

With those warnings said, if you and Dad are good mechanics, then you can always download a manual and service the shock yourselves. I´ve done it and it turned out great.

well the guy hasn't rode it for a while because he and his wife got divorced and he sold his sons bike. so maybe thats the case who knows?

different things are discussed here. Shock and Forks. The rear/shock has a seal head which consists of lip seals and o-rings. Different than a fork seal but sort of similar. If that one is leaking its pretty much time for a rebuild. i've seen fork seals come alive after leaking but not the shock. I've also seen oil on a shock shaft that was not from the shock so make sure you are leaking from the shock.

A really good time to get the suspension done for your weight ability. get both the forks and shock redone for you. The best bang for the buck mod you can do.

You can add oil, but if your asking you probably don't know how to do it. Not bagging on you! it involves depressurizing the shock and then you need Nitrogen to refill it. Not for the faint of heart plus some special tooling needed.

yeah were not the best mechanics haha but will just maybe have the dealer check it out or something thanks anyways:thumbsup: and anyway kind've on a tight budget until we sell our old dirtbikes

different things are discussed here. Shock and Forks. The rear/shock has a seal head which consists of lip seals and o-rings. Different than a fork seal but sort of similar. If that one is leaking its pretty much time for a rebuild. i've seen fork seals come alive after leaking but not the shock. I've also seen oil on a shock shaft that was not from the shock so make sure you are leaking from the shock.

A really good time to get the suspension done for your weight ability. get both the forks and shock redone for you. The best bang for the buck mod you can do.

You can add oil, but if your asking you probably don't know how to do it. Not bagging on you! it involves depressurizing the shock and then you need Nitrogen to refill it. Not for the faint of heart plus some special tooling needed.

not saying all shops are like this but in my experience you are better off removing your suspension and finding a suspension shop to do the work.

Not only will you save some pennies doing some of your own work but you will typically get better work done. I owned a shop in phoenix and I subbed out suspension work. More cost effective than maintaining a suspension guy on the payroll as we usually worked on motors. Many of the big dealerships locally used the same guy I used. I'd expect whatever dealer you have in your area subs it out. If not then the guy they have probably splits duties. Either way someone that does suspensions all the time exclusivley will tend to do a better job IMO.