i've come to appreciate the 2-stroke

I rode a CRF150 for about 6 months and then moved up to a WR250F and rode that for about 1.5 years and just recently bought a CR250. At first I didn't like the CR and was fouling plugs daily but today took it out for a ride after a lot of rain and wind this weekend to do a trail clean up. And it just clicked for me. This bike just feels so much more nimble and is wayyy lighter then the WR. The handling is night and day. I also have gotten used to the power delivery and love how I have instant power by just popping the clutch. I always thought 4-strokes were the way to go in the woods because of their low-end but now I realize I was dead wrong. And the 2-stroke doesn't get as hot as the WR. All I can say is I will never go back to a 4-stroke:ride:

Long Live The 2 Strokes!!!!!

Yeh my next bike is going to be a KTM 250sx for MX. It's gonna rip in the lites class.

Glad to hear you're liking the bike now!!

At 16 years old and saying you'll never go to a 4 stoke,,,,,,,,there is only a couple of manufactures left making a 2 stroke.

Not sure how many more years the 2 stroke has left. The free style riders will miss them the most I'd think.

Glad your liking the bike, the best any of us has ever rode is limited to the bikes we have rode.

I'd personally like to ride a KTM 300.

I ride with several guys that have a YZF, CRF and a CR all 250's and one 450 CRF, the cr is a nice bike. A rekluse clutch makes it a great bike, look into one of those if you want the bike to really come alive when needed.

I rode a CRF150 for about 6 months and then moved up to a WR250F and rode that for about 1.5 years and just recently bought a CR250. At first I didn't like the CR and was fouling plugs daily but today took it out for a ride after a lot of rain and wind this weekend to do a trail clean up. And it just clicked for me. This bike just feels so much more nimble and is wayyy lighter then the WR. The handling is night and day. I also have gotten used to the power delivery and love how I have instant power by just popping the clutch. I always thought 4-strokes were the way to go in the woods because of their low-end but now I realize I was dead wrong. And the 2-stroke doesn't get as hot as the WR. All I can say is I will never go back to a 4-stroke:ride:

Congrats on finding a bike that you like. You are right that your CR250 is a night

and day difference than that old, out dated WR of yours. You really need to

compare apples to apples and ride a more modern YZ450F because those

250 four strokes aren't known for their low-end power or handling for that matter.

I'm contemplating making a switch to a smoker too, though. Seems like a

change might be fun, but I have no idea how I would do without the real low-

end torque that I have come to love out of my 450.

At 16 years old and saying you'll never go to a 4 stoke,,,,,,,,there is only a couple of manufactures left making a 2 stroke.

Not sure how many more years the 2 stroke has left. The free style riders will miss them the most I'd think.

Glad your liking the bike, the best any of us has ever rode is limited to the bikes we have rode.

I'd personally like to ride a KTM 300.

I ride with several guys that have a YZF, CRF and a CR all 250's and one 450 CRF, the cr is a nice bike. A rekluse clutch makes it a great bike, look into one of those if you want the bike to really come alive when needed.

Those bikes are very nice i had a chance to take a spin on 1 a few weeks back, it almost makes me want 1 over my YZ250, ALMOST

Those bikes are very nice i had a chance to take a spin on 1 a few weeks back, it almost makes me want 1 over my YZ250, ALMOST

Why do you like the yamaha better?

you are comparing a 250mx bike vs. a 250 4-stroke offroad bike. A more fair comparison with be vs a 250f mx bike, or even a 450f mx bike for that matter.

The offroad bikes have extra weight, tamer power, and different gearing. I would take a 250 2-stroke over a wr250f myself but never over a 450

EDIT: Just seen NORCAL already discussed the comparison issue. I would also like to add this: Have you ever ridden a modern 4-stroke MX bike? If you love instant power you cant beat a 450. I am not trying to influence you in any way, but for someone to write-off fourstrokes without riding one would be a mistake you might never get to regret making.

Never say never, they each have their advantages.

I have ridden an 06' YZ250F, and 08' WR250F, and also a 05' KX250F and like the CR much better then those bikes.

The 2-stroke is also much cheaper to maintain which is good since I am 16 and pay for everything myself. Also everybody says 450's suck in the woods which is all I ride.

I really dont think the 2 stroke will ever die out. Even if there was only one manufacturer making them, everybody would have to buy from them, thus creating a market for them. But then again, who knows what the future will hold for the 2 strokes!! Lets just pray that they never, EVER dye out!!

The 2-stroke is also much cheaper to maintain which is good since I am 16 and pay for everything myself. Also everybody says 450's suck in the woods which is all I ride.

Everyone says 450's suck in the woods?? No thats not correct... two stroke guys say 450s suck in the woods and 4 stroke lovers say 250s suck in the woods. Its just how it is.

450s are beasts in the woods.

Everyone says 450's suck in the woods?? No thats not correct... two stroke guys say 450s suck in the woods and 4 stroke lovers say 250s suck in the woods. Its just how it is.

450s are beasts in the woods.

All I know is that every 250 4-stroke I rode in the woods felt a lot heavier then my CR so I don't even want to think about how heavy a 450 is.

yeah thats something you have to contend with that I was going to mention. I dont know what your size is but if you are less than 180 lbs and 6 foot tall I am sure you would probably notice the extra weight of the 450s.

The feeling of the 2-stroke being lighter isn't due to a lighter weight.

IF you check the dry weights of an 01' cr250 its 213 lbs. The dry weight of an 07kx250f is 204 lbs. Lighter by nearly 10 lbs!

The dry weight of an '07 kx 450 is 220 They 2-strokes are just percieved as lighter because of their engine characteristics.

When you start getting into those off-road 4-strokes with the skid plates, and lights, and electric starters and crap.. thats when they get heavy and cumbersome

All I know is that every 250 4-stroke I rode in the woods felt a lot heavier then my CR so I don't even want to think about how heavy a 450 is.

I hate to say it, but the twin-spare frame on the first and second generation

CRs are so stiff they were better off used as a boat anchor.

i'd suggest a fly wheel weight if you haven't have one yet. i love them on 250 2-strokes.

i'd suggest a fly wheel weight if you haven't have one yet. i love them on 250 2-strokes.

I was considering a FWW but love the hit of the bike and I have only stalled a couple times so don't think I need one.

Why do you like the yamaha better?

For me the fun factor is still greater on the YZ, if i had a chance to ride the 300 for a while it might be a different story, i did favor the ergos on the KTM much easier to get ahold of with my legs. But the instant snap and rev of the YZ still makes me smile, plus it feels like a mountain bike compared to most other offroad bikes, very nimble and easy to toss around. With the jetting dialed it will tractor with the best of them. The KTM had a metered kind of power it was still very responsive but is much more of a planted feel, if i had the money i'd probably have 1 of each but the nod would still be in the direction of the YZ

Hope that helped

Think of the FWW like this...The weight of the fww adds more traction because it allows the 2 stroke to dig into the ground more like a 250 4t or 450 4t type of power delivery. It will also help to prevent stalling. Yes if you get a much heavier fww it will dull down the hit. If you get the proper gearing and a fww (not the heaviest they make) then you will still have quick spinup of power but the greater ability to use that power instead of spinning the tire. Steahly makes fww for all kind of makes/models and you will notice that the weight levels are different for different models. They got it figured out. Perhaps give them a call to discuss what to expect from the different weights on your model of bikes.

For example I have a 7oz on my 04 rm 250 for woods riding. That is the lowest fww they make for that model. I can still pop the clutch and rev her up and go but I can also lug and dig much better in loose conditions such as mud. Comparatively riding my friends 06 yz250 with a stock fww I can lug but can quickly spool up to quick and spin the tire instead of turning that into forward momentum. I do have plans to go to a heavier fww but thats because I can still use the clutch to get the power delivery I want and get a weight better suited to the Eastern TN woods terrain I normally ride.

Try and ride someones bike that has a fww that is very heavy and one midrange so you can compare if that is possible.