i've come to appreciate the 2-stroke

Think of the FWW like this...The weight of the fww adds more traction because it allows the 2 stroke to dig into the ground more like a 250 4t or 450 4t type of power delivery. It will also help to prevent stalling. Yes if you get a much heavier fww it will dull down the hit. If you get the proper gearing and a fww (not the heaviest they make) then you will still have quick spinup of power but the greater ability to use that power instead of spinning the tire. Steahly makes fww for all kind of makes/models and you will notice that the weight levels are different for different models. They got it figured out. Perhaps give them a call to discuss what to expect from the different weights on your model of bikes.

For example I have a 7oz on my 04 rm 250 for woods riding. That is the lowest fww they make for that model. I can still pop the clutch and rev her up and go but I can also lug and dig much better in loose conditions such as mud. Comparatively riding my friends 06 yz250 with a stock fww I can lug but can quickly spool up to quick and spin the tire instead of turning that into forward momentum. I do have plans to go to a heavier fww but thats because I can still use the clutch to get the power delivery I want and get a weight better suited to the Eastern TN woods terrain I normally ride.

Try and ride someones bike that has a fww that is very heavy and one midrange so you can compare if that is possible.

Now that was a helpful post! You get gas:thumbsup:

I grew up with 2-strokes and fairly recently got my first 4-stroke, a KX450F. Although I love the bike:ride: , I have to agree, I appreciate 2-strokes even more now. My KX500 is bullet proof compared to my KX450F. The 4-stroke has to be "just right" or there is the constant fear its going to detonate!:moon: I'm still debating selling the 4-stroke.?

I grew up with 2-strokes and fairly recently got my first 4-stroke, a KX450F. Although I love the bike:ride: , I have to agree, I appreciate 2-strokes even more now. My KX500 is bullet proof compared to my KX450F. The 4-stroke has to be "just right" or there is the constant fear its going to detonate!:moon: I'm still debating selling the 4-stroke.?

Man all I gotta do is fuel up my kx450f with 93 octane and ride, never a jetting problem, no pre-ignition problems, regardless of the weather/climate, and always runs strong no bog/hesitation.

Weird some peoples jetting seems finicky some dont. The problem is the jetting from the factory is different?? I have had bikes where I needed to change jetting (kx250f) but I dont even feel like i need a fuel screw for this bike.

keep saving up and get yourself a CR500AF have more power than a 450F and still super easy to work on and you can lug it just like a 4t in the woods and it will be just as agile as your 250 is now but with almost double the power

keep saving up and get yourself a CR500AF have more power than a 450F and still super easy to work on and you can lug it just like a 4t in the woods and it will be just as agile as your 250 is now but with almost double the power

Haha i'm still getting used to the power of the CR. Maybe one day I will buy a 500:thumbsup:

All different bikes are great and have their good and bad points. I like my bike because it has awesome low end , handles well, has great power all over really and when and if it grenades it wont cost me an arm and leg like a 4 stroke will. :bonk: You can tell from the last 10 yrs or so that all major brands of bikes are awesome. They all handle well. They are all reliable and have great power. It is all about preference. It is all about the rider .

All different bikes are great and have their good and bad points. I like my bike because it has awesome low end , handles well, has great power all over really and when and if it grenades it wont cost me an arm and leg like a 4 stroke will. :bonk: You can tell from the last 10 yrs or so that all major brands of bikes are awesome. They all handle well. They are all reliable and have great power. It is all about preference. It is all about the rider .

I agree. I don't think there is a bike out there that I couldn't have fun on. :bonk:

But, I just replaced my top end and cleaned the carb on my KX250 in less then 2 hours and for less then $160. That, and the big grin it puts on my face is what keeps me riding a two stroke. If I was serious about racing I would look at a four stroke, but my wallet and body aren't capable of riding at that level anymore. :bonk:

Anybody know where I can still get a new '07 CR250R? I want to keep it in a box and when I finally wear out my current '07 CR, I'll unbox the "spare!"

It's ALL about fun for me and what's more fun than hopping from jump to jump and tossing the thing around like a bike. (Regardless of what the scales say - nothing seems lighter than a 2-stroke!)

I've recently made the switch to an 07 YZ250. I also own an 08 KTM 300 XC-W. Before this I've owned late model large and small enduro bikes.

I was going to keep both, however, after riding the YZ I think I'll be selling the KTM. The YZ handles beautifully for woods riding (suspension has been revalved for woods). The KTM on the other hand just pounds the crap out of me.

The KTM engine is wonderfull though. Torquey, smooth and very punchy if you want it to be. The PV is easily tuned for varying terrain.

The YZ is more aggressive, less torquey down low and packs one hell of a punch up top. A FWW will smooth things out.

If you have good throttle and clutch control, the snappy nature of the YZ is ideal for woods riding as you dart from corner to corner, steering with your throttle.

In deep sand, the 300 shines. It doesn't have to work as hard as the 250, that's not to say the 250 doesn't have the power - though once you jump out of band, its not as forgiving as the 300 which will still keep pulling.

The light weight of the YZ is a big bonus. Less fuel capacity is the only issue I'm having (easily fixed with a bigger tank).

The handling of the YZ simply blew me away after riding the KTM for over a year. The KTM pushes through turns - the YZ just turns like its meant to. Keep your weight well forward and the YZ instills confidence, even on off-camber sweeping bends.

With the correct valving, the YZ soaks up all the trail trash perfectly. This is where the KTM failed. Sharp edges (errosion mounds, roots, rocks) are a killer on the KTM, which wants to kick.

On the open stuff, the KTM feels quite stable (sandy whoops / desert style riding). I've never had headshake on the Kato.

The engine and gearbox compliments this style of riding, though a sixth gear would be nice (are you listening KTM).

The YZ feels very stable at speed too, which is surprising for a bike that corners with such precision.

If your into desert riding I'd say go the 300. It'll still perform well in the tight stuff (especially compared to a 4T). If your planning on doing a mix of woods and some open stuff, I'd go the 250.

I'd love to shoehorn the 300 engine into the YZ... come to think of it though, I'm really getting to like the hit of the 250 - its so much fun!

One thing is for sure, I won't be going back to a 4T. When I bought the KTM I was amazed how much better this thing was over my WR250 - especially when the trails get tighter. Riding the YZ has only strengthened my resolve to stick to 2T's.

Bergermeister

• 3 weeks later...

+1!!! I have thought that for years and the manufacturers have never been called out!

I roll my nice shiny bikes onto two bathroom scales the minute I get them home, add the total together and the gravity always seems to be stronger at my house than at the factories.

• 1 month later...
I rode a CRF150 for about 6 months and then moved up to a WR250F and rode that for about 1.5 years and just recently bought a CR250. At first I didn't like the CR and was fouling plugs daily but today took it out for a ride after a lot of rain and wind this weekend to do a trail clean up. And it just clicked for me. This bike just feels so much more nimble and is wayyy lighter then the WR. The handling is night and day. I also have gotten used to the power delivery and love how I have instant power by just popping the clutch. I always thought 4-strokes were the way to go in the woods because of their low-end but now I realize I was dead wrong. And the 2-stroke doesn't get as hot as the WR. All I can say is I will never go back to a 4-stroke:ride:

the 01, imo, had the best motor. the top end on that thing flat out rips. u may want to try a flywheel to help in the tight sections.

I've ridden both the KTM 300 and the YZ 250. Now to be fair I've had the KTM sprung for my weight and I'm a jetting fool. That KTM has been tuned till every ounce of HP has been wrung out of it.

Out of the box the YZ does handle well.

But

Motor: My KTM will blow the doors off the YZ throughout the ENTIRE RPM range. It will pull hills just above idle and scream up top that will make your head spin. I can throw it around in the woods all day & still be fresh. The YZ will kick my ass after 1 hour. It has that MX hit.

Handling: My KTM has been professionally sprung. Enough said.

Decide what you want to do and buy the right tool for the job. Different strokes for different folks. Sling your leg over both of them and decide what's right for you.