thinking of steping down to a 250? opinions?

i was checking out bikes today and it dawned on me when i layed eyes on the 2009 kx250f and 2009 rmz250 that my current rmz450 is a hog compared to these bikes. since i am only 15 years old and have only been riding 2 years i came to the conclusion a 250 would treat me better with a lighter weight and more controllable power. i checked out some reviews of both bikes but i am wondering if anyone has any opinions on which bike i should go with and if stepping down to a 250 is a good idea? also i already posted this in what bike should i buy accidentally and thought no one would read it because of the fact i didn't even know that sub section existed until today

thank you.

-john

250 Two Stroke

yes, id step down to a 250 smoker personally.but stepping down to a 250f would be very wise too.

2 smoke??? I belive the two bikes he was talking about are 4 storke....

and ...YES... in my opinion the 250F would do you good and I also belive I get the one I could get the better deal on.... My son races a RMZ in a open (A) class and does fairly good against the 450's....

No matter the bike size you can not go any faster than you can go....

No dude.. step down to 250F from a 450F..

You don't need all that much power from the 450.. the 250F has that much power you need.

I'm gonna get a 250F for my next bike when I sell my 450F.. the "power" is just right and you save money! :thumbsup:

2 smoke??? I belive the two bikes he was talking about are 4 storke....

and ...YES... in my opinion the 250F would do you good and I also belive I get the one I could get the better deal on.... My son races a RMZ in a open (A) class and does fairly good against the 450's....

No matter the bike size you can not go any faster than you can go....

Very true!! You don't need the 450 bro.. get the 250F and use the spare money in case your 250F breaks.. :thumbsup:

2 Years don't sound like much, and the 450 is a lot to handle even for experienced riders... In motocross bigger is not always better. I have this friend who used to ride a 450YZF. He has been riding for maybe 6 or 7 years, and just about 6 months ago he switched to a 250 yzf... Now he's always got a smile on his face when he rides and he can't stop talking about how easy it is to control and how much more enjoyable his riding has become. It's also easy to see that he is actually going MUCH faster, feeling more comfortable and even jumping some jumps that he couldn't do before. He is racing in the nationals and doing not to bad so his level is really high, and he still feels better on the 250 as opposed to the 450. I think if he was to race himself on the 450 bike he used to ride, he would definitely win...

A 250 two stroke is almost like a 450 four stroke, and actually it would be harder to ride because all two strokes are, or so people say... They don't have the power in the lower RPM range and then theres just a big rush of it when you get the engine singing... I think when you hit the powerband it would go as good if not better than your 450 (maybe for just a sec. but still). On the other hand, smokers are FUN!.

It's your choice in the end, but I would step down to the 250s if I were you.

definately consider it... 250fs are WAY easier to ride.. and Villipoto and others have proven they can go plenty fast... depending on the person you may find yourself going much faster on a bike that doesn't spin the tire every time you turn the throttle

I 'stepped down' as you put it 2 years ago from a CRF450 to a KX250f, rode it for a year, sold it when we recieved a good offer. We shouldn't have. I loved the 250f, it made me a far better rider having ridden one. Since your somewhat a new rider I believe it would be a great move.

Go for the RMZ250f, the ergo's are very close to your 450 so you will not waste a lot of time in getting comfortable. Plus, you will be able to directly compare your speed between the 250f and the 450.

Just wondering though, how tall are you?, how much do you weigh? and what class are you running?

imo either 250f or 125 smoker..a 250 smoker is to much bike for 99.5% of 15 year olds

Go for the RMZ250f, the ergo's are very close to your 450 so you will not waste a lot of time in getting comfortable. Plus, you will be able to directly compare your speed between the 250f and the 450.

Just wondering though, how tall are you?, how much do you weigh? and what class are you running?

i am about 6'1 or 6'2 and weigh about 178 pounds

would this require special suspension setup because of my weight?

and im not sure what class i will be running i didnt even get to race this year because of a mangled foot