check the plug

i'm not very good at the whole 2 stroke scene... but running a bike lean is VERY bad...

ya i know, it makes the bike run hotter, i know. but its mostly trail riding, i got engine ice, i stop a lot for breaks. bike never takes more than 2 kicks to start.

im just curious about the plug.

and its not lean, its just on the lean side. once it actually stays at 70 degrees here i got my next set of jets to swap out, but its still mid 80's.

I'd be more concerned as to why the plug looks rusty or is it just the pic

how old is the plug?

ya i know, it makes the bike run hotter, i know. but its mostly trail riding, i got engine ice, i stop a lot for breaks. bike never takes more than 2 kicks to start.

im just curious about the plug.

and its not lean, its just on the lean side. once it actually stays at 70 degrees here i got my next set of jets to swap out, but its still mid 80's.

Plug looks nice and dry, the oil residue looks like the mix oil used previously was dyed red. How long has the plug been in the bike? If its been in since ya bought it you are doing great. I usually have to change mine every 3rd or 4th trip to the woods. Any other issues? Replace the plug agter properly gapping and run it a while and see what it looks like. Plugs tell a story over time and when something is amiss.

As per above the plug looks OK if a little on the old side, the heavy deposits are a result of using a non-additive mineral oil & generally if that's the case you shouldn't then switch to a low ash (synth/additive) type unless you've just rebuilt the motor & cleaned out the residue as the low ash oil dissolves said residue & can make the engine wear faster, according to MZ's technical people at least...

To be honest, having said that I'd not worry too much about what oil you use as I think it's more a long, long term thing but I'd certainly change that plug or at least keep a spare & plug spanner handy as it's definitely seen it's share of the action already.

I've switch from Klotz Super techniplate to klotz R50, due to the carbon that was left from klotz super tech. My plugs were the same as pictured. The engine was jetted perfect for the oil and never had a spooge problem. The super tech left a lot of carbon in the exhaust pipe as well. I know it was from the 20% castor that's in the klotz super tech. Also the power valves had lots of carbon build up after 50 hrs.

So far, the switch to klotz R50 has been good. No spooge while trail riding. Only time wil tell on the next rebuild.

wow. thanks for all the help guys.

im not sure how old the plug in the bike is, its the same one its had since i bought it. im also not sure what kind of oil he used, and if he changed the plug when he re-did the top end.

the klotz supertech is red, which would make the plug red. it is dryer than a bone here in arizona, so i doubt very much it is rust. the bike also runs great @ all rpms, no stalling or anything. what symptoms are common when a plug is fouled and needs to be replaced or cleaned?

i think i'll just buy a new one and put that one in, see if this same kinda deposits and coloring occurs.

i should be going to the dunes this thanksgiving (yes, i will make sure to re-jet) and i wanted to make sure im not running on a bad plug or doing something wrong i should fix before the trip. thanks again guys.

wow. thanks for all the help guys.

im not sure how old the plug in the bike is, its the same one its had since i bought it. im also not sure what kind of oil he used, and if he changed the plug when he re-did the top end.

the klotz supertech is red, which would make the plug red. it is dryer than a bone here in arizona, so i doubt very much it is rust. the bike also runs great @ all rpms, no stalling or anything. what symptoms are common when a plug is fouled and needs to be replaced or cleaned?

i think i'll just buy a new one and put that one in, see if this same kinda deposits and coloring occurs.

i should be going to the dunes this thanksgiving (yes, i will make sure to re-jet) and i wanted to make sure im not running on a bad plug or doing something wrong i should fix before the trip. thanks again guys.

when you go to get on the gas the bike will bog if your plug is fouling then all of a sudden it will bog out and then you wont be able to start it due to the plug being fouled or caked in oil then you need to dry it / replace it with a new plug:thumbsup: