Tomahawk/Mountaineer MX Parks

What is the consensus of the forum on these two spots. I just bought a home in VA, and these two tracks are less than 1.5 hours from me. I rode mountaineer two times, and liked it a lot, even though neither time was groomed- thou there site said it would be groomed on the weekends. A small negative, as I've been on much rougher practice tracks... But still disappointing.

I went to tomahawk two weeks ago, and was expecting a wet track, but insead got three laps in clay muck mixed with wood chips. I'm sure it's good when it's good, but just before the rain started my brakes, chain, guides and skids were so loaded down it was unreal! It took me hours to clean the bike, due to pushing/pounding wood chips out of everything. Over 3 hours of driving, 3 laps, and having to flush gas and clean bike for $40 or 15min didn't make me happy. Oh yea, no refund or ride pass reissued, but I was offered a free session if I bring 3 new paying riders with me! Niccccccce. I'm impressed. This place looks like it could be great, and might be a favorite place, but I'm on the fence.

My 2 cent...

Mountaineer- thumbs up- can't wait till I ride it groomed

Tomahawk- jury is out. Looks awesome, but need to really ride it one time

Other opinions?? Any other local tracks to Northern Va?

All the best

Nch209

Man to be honest tomahawk is a much better track. And so i have this wright you went there on a weekend you rode then it started raining and your mad you didnt get a refund . What ever the story tomahawk is a great place and if you go again iam sure you will love it.

I love tomahawk its a very fast track the way mx should be.

No, I am not mad that I did not get a refund. I was just hoping track owners could relate to my frustrations (me being on an bike unprepared for mud, and going lean with the cold weather, blah blah blah, wine wine wine!!!- all my fault) and was looking for a hook up. It looks way fun, and I can't wait to give it a good shot. I'm getting back into Mx, and it's nice to have 2 different types of tracks within two hours. Any other tracks close?

try rocket raceway should be to far it in three springs,pa

I love Tomahawk, always been a fun track with true MX style to it. Chad usually always does a really good job with prepping the track. I never really cared for Mountaineer in my opinion. Never prepped well except for race days, and I think is a little dangerous with the way the jumps are built there.

I liked Mountaineer, and I think it would be great groomed. I am excited about Tomahawk, but aching for warm weather! Its been fridget as of late!!!!

Is Tomahawk still open?

It was still open about three weeks ago.

Tomahawk rocks and Chad is a great guy! He has held up to having a great place for a long time. I will not go back to Mountaineer the owners left tons of riders with memberships and really poor place to ride for more than a year. Toooo many times we would get there and it wasnt worth pulling the bike off the truck and with the cost of fuel it will take good owners to get me or my friends there.

I am looking forward to riding at both next year. I am new to both places, and am willing to give them both some more laps. I REALLY want to ride Tomahawk when its in its prime. I was there in nasty mud, and my bike was HOT and like 100pounds heavier!!! It sure will be great when it dries out- as the rain currently pounds down!!!!!

Tomahawk is a kick ass track.

Don't make your judgement based on one visit. You just got it on a bad day. some days are better than others. Mountaineer is just plain old farm dirt, carved out of a farm valley and hills. As long as you remember that and don't expect it to be something else, you will understand better. When my son was on his yz85, he hated both of them. Now he's on a yz125 and likes them. Track prep is the key and again, some preped days are better than others. They both do a good job on race weekends. Try again, but maybe during some better weather conditions.

Chad rocks and the track is great! Jamie Jordan told me he's planning to buy Mountaineer as well when that closes....although Jamie likes to run his mouth! We'll see....Chad would be good for that place and a lot better operator than that ass they had working there about 2-3 years ago who liked to yell at everyone!

If that is true abought chad that is awesome. And i am close friends with jamie jordan and he never said any thing to me abought that.And it also seems that you have some thing against him which suprises me espically if you race because he has great ideas and has fought for alot around here. So if that is the case just talk to him and you will see how much he cares

No axe to grind v. jamie and nothing I haven't said to him personally in a joking, honest, loving manner.

Thats cool ican side with you on one thing he does run his mouth some times. And i spoke to him this morning and he said he cant afford moutainneer and never had any plans on buying it he saidhis wife would kill him. But keep on keeping on

What is the consensus of the forum on these two spots. I just bought a home in VA, and these two tracks are less than 1.5 hours from me. I rode mountaineer two times, and liked it a lot, even though neither time was groomed- thou there site said it would be groomed on the weekends. A small negative, as I've been on much rougher practice tracks... But still disappointing.

I went to tomahawk two weeks ago, and was expecting a wet track, but insead got three laps in clay muck mixed with wood chips. I'm sure it's good when it's good, but just before the rain started my brakes, chain, guides and skids were so loaded down it was unreal! It took me hours to clean the bike, due to pushing/pounding wood chips out of everything. Over 3 hours of driving, 3 laps, and having to flush gas and clean bike for $40 or 15min didn't make me happy. Oh yea, no refund or ride pass reissued, but I was offered a free session if I bring 3 new paying riders with me! Niccccccce. I'm impressed. This place looks like it could be great, and might be a favorite place, but I'm on the fence.

My 2 cent...

Mountaineer- thumbs up- can't wait till I ride it groomed

Tomahawk- jury is out. Looks awesome, but need to really ride it one time

Other opinions?? Any other local tracks to Northern Va?

All the best

Nch209

Don't have both choices any longer, Mountaineer was bought by the bank and is no more. Tomahawk is also in trouble and needs everyones help. See the Tomahawk website for details.