Who has their kids wearing a neck brace?

Do you, or what kind of neck protection do you have your kids wear? I currently don't use anything but I'm trying to decide between an EVS neck brace and the new Leatte Adventure. The Adventure isn't available yet but Vitalmx.com got one and reviewed it. Leatt told them there would be a "substantial quanity" of them here after Thanksgiving. I'd like to see one in person before buying one. I looked at a EVS brace last week and was really impressed. A lot of people here have badmouthed the brace but I was impressed with it. It looks like it will give more collar bone protection than the Leatt. What are your kids wearing?

Both my son (9 yr old) and my other half wear Leatts. And both have been crash tested very well.

We have had to replace the side clasp on the smaller model twice now. But that just goes to show the weakest link is what breaks, no neck or collarbone injuries just the clasp.

How is everyones chest protectors working with the braces? I see some people are removing the front and rear panels and attaching them directly to the neck brace. This looks like it would be a good option with the EVS neck brace.

Good question. Can anyone post up some pics of their, and/or

their kids neck brace and chest protector fitment.

This thread might come in really helpful for those of us that

are seriously looking into this.

Thanks.

The RXR appears to work great with the Leatt. I'd like to see more pics of your chest protector/neck brace combo. I remember seeing a review of the EVS where it was mentioned that it came with straps to attach a chest protector. I'm thinking of buying the EVS and maybe modifying my son's Shift chest protector to work with it.

I notice that Andrew Short has attached the front and rear panels of his Fly chest protector to his Leatt using zip ties. I know they are pretty strong, but I think there may be a better way.

The pic of your son illustrates one of the reasons I'm wanting a neck brace. My son is moving up to an adult size helmet also and I think that the larger helmet shell would exert more leverage on the neck and collar bones in a crash (even though it's light). I've never seen any research or anything on this but it just looks like the combo of a little kid and large helmet could cause problems.

EVS RC EVOLUTION - he loves it, non restrictive, looks to protect you properly - he won't get on his bike without it.

I did a writeup in he pee wee forum - look for it.

102_0082.jpg

So this EVS brace stays in place alright? I notice from doing a

search that it doesnt have the same back and frontal extensions

to hold it. From what I can tell it just rests on the shoulders.

Thats why Im curious about movement.

Thanks for the post.?

I notice more and more chest protectors being designed to work with Leatt braces. Fly also has one and I belive 661 is working on one.

Matt4x4, thanks for the pics with the EVS. I really like the EVS since seeing one in person. It seems to have more shoulder protection than the Leatt. Plus, I can get it now and no one seems sure when the Leatt Adventure will be here. I contacted Rocky Mountain MC/ATV today and they advised they were told they should have a shipment in Jan. How easy do you think it would be to just remove the front and rear plates from a chest protector and mount them onto the EVS brace? I've seen several people do this with Leatt braces.

To answer several questions - the EVS has the spinal extension. However, does NOT have the front (collar bone) extensions the Leatt has because it transfers the load to the shoulders through other methods:

1. Force straight down (hit directly on top of helmet) transfers through the neck pad down onto the shoulders.

2. Force off center on helmet (tilting head sideways or backwards) is stopped by the saucer shape that wraps shoulder to shoulder around the rear, limiting head/neck extension, transferring load to spinal extension or shoulder cups.

If helmet is forced forward, the pad once again transfers the load to the shoulders and somewhat onto the collar bone - but through the padding - helping reduce collar bone injury.

On to answering fitment questions:

my son wears his EVOLUTION UNDER his THOR Quadrant chest protector in the pic, it really just rests on his shoulders and is kept in place by the chest protector and helmet - he does not use the strapping system supplied.

If you want to you can take the 2 plates off the chest protector and mount them directly to the EVO (clips supplied), EVS makes a chest protector (I believe it is the FLUX) that works perfectly without drilling holes, but you can hang just about any chest protector off it if you drill your own mounting holes.

Alternatively - we also have the EVS REVO4 which is a small, tight fitting roost protector that does not have shoulder protection and can be worn under or over a jersey, with this unit, my son can wear the Evolution under or over the protector - usually over so it sits on top of the REVO4 padding that straddles the shoulders, he can wear the jersey under or over - normally he wears it under everything for ease of taking it off. since the helmet also keeps the Evolution on your shoulders, he does not use the strapping system and it all seems to come together well, sitting solid without movement.

The EVOLUTION sits very well and solid once you put on your helmet without further fastening required.