Opening Weekend, how'd you do?

It's gun season in MI, as you probably know. How'd you guys do?

My dad got a Nice 7 point down at Yankee Springs, and i filled out my doe permit by cadillac

bow hunters, how'd you guys do too?

Not good...I had to spend the entire day so far with the wife and boy. With the gun slingers out in the woods I cant go riding so I am forced to spend time with my family...."yzman gets shivers down his spine..."

Here's dad's deer

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

145lbs dressed. Was an 8 point, but one tine's broken off

Gun season starts next weekend here and I will be out for sure.

Did you see the possible world record buck that got stuck with an arrow in Wisconsin? It was shot in Buffalo county(south of me about 20 miles) That thing is HUGEMONGO!

I took a friend's 15yr old out with me Saturday. He's been tagging along with me for the last 4 years. THis was the first year that we didn't hear or see anything. At noon, we did a circle, checking scrapes and trails to find that the scrapes were not even hit this year and the trails that were usually used heavily had light tracks and old at that.

I've been hunting this piece of state land for the last 8-9 years and only two other people were out there. THis year, we had 5 new vehicles in the lot when we came out. One person even set up a popup about 75 yrds in from the lot and 20yrds from the foot trail.:thumbsup: Too many new people for me. For those last 8 years, the guys that were there all knew where each other was and we made sure we didn't crowd each other. So next summer it's time to start looking for a new area. It's been a good run and at least I got to hunt that place for all those years. My last spot only lasted 3 years before it got overcrowded. That's state land for ya.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

No rifle hunting for me this year. I'm hoping to get out for some muzzle loader hunting though.

Not good...I had to spend the entire day so far with the wife and boy. With the gun slingers out in the woods I cant go riding so I am forced to spend time with my family...."yzman gets shivers down his spine..."

It sucks to be kicked out of the woods but I'll stay away with all the Dirt Harrys in the woods. No real complaints--its only fair....even though it sucks.

Must have been good, I saw soo many deers being hauled / skinned all over the state on our way back north yesterday eve.

You should have came to Morelands in Stanton with us yesterday. My daughter and I went there for most of the day.

Would have been a lot more fun is it wasn't so muddy, my daughter wouldn't even ride on the tracks so we rode around the grounds / woods for a while. She's only been on a bike for a few months.

No luck here

So far, I've put two does in the freezer-first one was opening day (Nov 8th) and the second one was that following Monday. But, my "hunting" consists of going for a look out the window every half hour or so, and keeping a loaded rifle nearby while I'm outside working.:moon:

Shot both animals here at home on the farm, one was munching on the remains of my garden! Didn't have to drag either one-both dropped right at the edge of the hayfield right on my field road.:thumbsup:

Between the two of them, I got 100 lbs of meat, all de-boned and in the freezer.

We're allowed 5 per person in my zone, of which only one can be a buck.

Haven't seen any during daylight hours since I shot the second one, but every night I count over 20 does in the hayfield. Gotta figure out where they're bedding down, cannot manage to kick anything out of the brush around here.

So far, I've put two does in the freezer-first one was opening day (Nov 8th) and the second one was that following Monday. But, my "hunting" consists of going for a look out the window every half hour or so, and keeping a loaded rifle nearby while I'm outside working.:moon:

Shot both animals here at home on the farm, one was munching on the remains of my garden! Didn't have to drag either one-both dropped right at the edge of the hayfield right on my field road.:thumbsup:

Between the two of them, I got 100 lbs of meat, all de-boned and in the freezer.

We're allowed 5 per person in my zone, of which only one can be a buck.

Haven't seen any during daylight hours since I shot the second one, but every night I count over 20 does in the hayfield. Gotta figure out where they're bedding down, cannot manage to kick anything out of the brush around here.

The full moon we've been having lately doesn't help on the daytime sightings. They will travel much more at night with the extra light the moon is giving them.

The full moon we've been having lately doesn't help on the daytime sightings. They will travel much more at night with the extra light the moon is giving them.

That, and I'm surrounded by a lot of public land, and the daytime pressure has been pretty high on them right now.

I think once rifle season is over and the woods are more quiet, they'll settle back down so I can go after them with muzzleloader.

kinda good i guess, i got a 11 point but it was not that wide...a 5X6, MY 3rd ONE!! ya ***....i put my freinds tag on it so i can still hunt :thumbsup: ....my other freinds keep shooting them and leaving them cause they were not big enoughf...he never takes into account groundshrinkage...the wasted meat dosent bother me the part that bother me is that they would be tropheys the next year....ow well, he dont hunt where i do...

kinda good i guess, i got a 11 point but it was not that wide...a 5X6, MY 3rd ONE!! ya ***....i put my freinds tag on it so i can still hunt :moon: ....my other freinds keep shooting them and leaving them cause they were not big enoughf...he never takes into account groundshrinkage...the wasted meat dosent bother me the part that bother me is that they would be tropheys the next year....ow well, he dont hunt where i do...

I wouldn't even associate with someone that does crap like that, much less call them a "friend".:thumbsup:

If you shoot it, eat it. I could care less if you tag it or not, but leaving it to waste is not only a criminal matter, but says something about them as a person.

ya he doest really think, they way i look at it is that it will never go to waste, some coyote will come along and they will be like "OMG FOOD"...but ya, non the less he should not have shot it. we drug it to my coyote hunting location to hopfully increase my sucess with that kind of hunting...

there is a massive 7 X (something) by my about 8 miles from my house...he is not afraid of cars at all, i have heard 2 stories where people we trying to dirve and he would not get out of their way....i want him :thumbsup:

kinda good i guess, i got a 11 point but it was not that wide...a 5X6, MY 3rd ONE!! ya ***....i put my freinds tag on it so i can still hunt :moon: ....my other freinds keep shooting them and leaving them cause they were not big enoughf...he never takes into account groundshrinkage...the wasted meat dosent bother me the part that bother me is that they would be tropheys the next year....ow well, he dont hunt where i do...

:thumbsup: Your freinds are NOT hunters, they're just joy killers and give real hunters a bad name. Those deer should at the very least be field dressed and donated to a group like Sportsman against hunger.

you think thats bad,

a group of about 5 peoples around here shot about 30 deer out of season and left them (they probally dident even go to look at them), i am guessing this was probally in a 3 week span....not to worrey, the cops and game warden got all high tech on their asses,... they took the bullets out of the deer, then they took them to X and examinded the rifleing on the bullet, then then matched the rifleing on the bullet to the gun, then they went all the way back in the books and found out who bought which gun, which led them too all the people that shot the deer, one person got caught, then when that person got cought he stated ratting other people out so they were all caught :worthey: ........ each one got their truck taken away and a 6,000 dollar fine, and no more hunting right forever.

this was about 2 years ago, so glad they were caught or elese there would no more deer for me to shoot and actually eat

probally gonna give my 5x6 away, i have 2 doe tags and dont wana piss with 3 deer, i really only wanna make jerkey anway.....anyone got any good recepies(sp) :moon:

i would love to be out right now but no way to get to my other house where all my gear is. :thumbsup: ...its snowing right now and about 25 perfect in my mind

Here's my jerky recipe, I can't seem to keep it around for very long.....damn vulture wife and kids are hovering around the dehydrator while the stuff is till dripping. :thumbsup:

1 bottle Wright's liquid smoke http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_wrights.asp

1 bottle La Choy soy sauce http://www.lachoy.com/products/sauces.jsp

add brown sugar as desired for sweetness

Slice meat so that it's less than a 1/4" thick.

Marinade 15 mins or so and dry in Ronco dehydrator for 18-24 hours.

Oh, and be sure to remove any fat or gristle on the meat, it gets nasty if you leave it on.

Here's my jerky recipe, I can't seem to keep it around for very long.....damn vulture wife and kids are hovering around the dehydrator while the stuff is till dripping. :thumbsup:

1 bottle Wright's liquid smoke http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_wrights.asp

1 bottle La Choy soy sauce http://www.lachoy.com/products/sauces.jsp

add brown sugar as desired for sweetness

Slice meat so that it's less than a 1/4" thick.

Marinade 15 mins or so and dry in Ronco dehydrator for 18-24 hours.

Oh, and be sure to remove any fat or gristle on the meat, it gets nasty if you leave it on.

:moon: you only marinate for 15 minutes!!!....i was thinking like for a day or 2...i marinade pheasant jerky for like 10 hours and that not even enoughf. are you sure that is long enoughf? there are so many recipies out there i just dont know which one:banghead: i may try yours

:moon: you only marinate for 15 minutes!!!....i was thinking like for a day or 2...i marinade pheasant jerky for like 10 hours and that not even enoughf. are you sure that is long enoughf? there are so many recipies out there i just dont know which one:banghead: i may try yours

I've been making it this way for 18 years and no complaints yet....other than everyone eats it.:thumbsup:

Just take it soaking dripping wet from the bowl and slap it in the dehydrator.

haha just got news some guy shot a monster 5x5, just saw a pic, tines are like 15 inches long and its freaking huge, its wide too......shot illegaly in headlights......................not much leagal stuff goes down here in SD as you all learning from me :thumbsup: