bicycle computers

Has anyone tried a bike computer on their dirt bike? I checked the circumference of my bicycle with 26" tire vs. my front 21" tire and the measurment was only 2" difference not perfect but you can pick these things up now for about $15 with speed, distance, time and avg speed.

BajaDesigns says that the bicycle hardware is different from the motorcycle version, but I believe it could work. Just don't buy the wireless kind because it will interfere with the electronics.

BTW the electronic computers let you type in the wheel diameter, so you don't have to worry about different size tires. :)

I use one. You need to lengthen the connecting cable because our forks are longer than cycle forks, other than that, no problem. Attach the magnet to the front disc, either bolt on or use epoxy, and zip-tie the pickup to the fork. The wire is best taped to the brake hose. I use a Sigma BC800 which allows 2 different wheel sizes to be programmed in, is good for changing between normal and SM wheels.

Iain

I've used one. Get a water resistive model. Your can break the epoxy cover off the back of the base and solder on bigger wire, then reapply epoxy. The existing wire is so small and hard to solder. It works well and is easily programmed for a bike. You can also use a door sensor from a burglar alarm and its magnet if you need to replace the sending unit. Just make sure its a "normally open" switch.

im using the bicycle panoram.works good and havent had any problems.its also adjustable for any wheel size.i really dont have any use for a odo,but there was a big todoo a while back about the differences in the panorams(moto vs bicycle).they were $29.95 at walmart so i gave it shot.

here are some pics of my mount.i lengthened the wires and ran them thru small swamp cooler line.i also just epoxied the magnet to the rotor.worked slick!

sensor mount pic

wire inside tubing pic

with ktm fork guard pic

sorry bout the pic quality!those were before good cam! :)

If getting one designed for bikes, get one designed for a rear wheel pickup. That will make the cable long enough to use on a motorcycle. I had the above on a bike I sold. I'm currently using the Panorama. More robust cable and pickup than those designed for bikes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Markl5557
      Anyone’s air box smell like gas ? Is this normal ? Air filter is bone dry but it reeks in there .... I’m assuming cause of the carb being semi filled with gas ??
    • By Markl5557
      So I’m reading these horror stories of the stock vacume operated petcocks failing and letting gas into the oil .... how many of you guys switched over and is it worth it to switch to manual ?
    • By Markl5557
      Hey guys . I feel like I post here way to much lol 

anyway after having my bike kn it’s side overnight to fix a cracked stator cover .... I come to find out that I also accidentally left the pet cock in the prime position .... constant gas flow to carb ... now my oil smells strongly of gas ... my question is ... was it the bike being on its side that made the gas get into the oil or the prime position on petcock that made this happen ? Or both ? I didn’t ride it much at all after discovering... I assume. I should drain the oil obviously but any other suggestions ? Always appreciated -mark 
    • By Praneeth143
      Hello guys , I have a suzuki drz400sm which is a 2009 model recently I purchased a rear sprocket which was a JT 41T , but I found that it did not fit to the rear sprocket hub of the bike and my drz has got the EXCEL TAKASAGO rims in it . How can I find one that fits and what sprocket brands and where can I buy it . I have attached pics of the current setup , please help me

• By Surfman1
      Hello all, first time poster. Just bought this bike a few days ago it’s an 08 drz 400sm and am starting to notice it has a strange backfire at idle. I understand a little bit at decel might be normal, but at idle too?  It appears to have been jetted already, judging by the fact it has a jd jetting sticker on the bike itself. I know that it’s not an exact indicator it has but it could be. Has an FMF exhaust, it looks like a full system rather then a slip on but not entirely sure. A buddy recommended I mess with the air and fuel screw, haven’t done that yet. Just wanted to see if there was any other tips I should try.