bicycle computers

Has anyone tried a bike computer on their dirt bike? I checked the circumference of my bicycle with 26" tire vs. my front 21" tire and the measurment was only 2" difference not perfect but you can pick these things up now for about $15 with speed, distance, time and avg speed.

BajaDesigns says that the bicycle hardware is different from the motorcycle version, but I believe it could work. Just don't buy the wireless kind because it will interfere with the electronics.

BTW the electronic computers let you type in the wheel diameter, so you don't have to worry about different size tires. :)

I use one. You need to lengthen the connecting cable because our forks are longer than cycle forks, other than that, no problem. Attach the magnet to the front disc, either bolt on or use epoxy, and zip-tie the pickup to the fork. The wire is best taped to the brake hose. I use a Sigma BC800 which allows 2 different wheel sizes to be programmed in, is good for changing between normal and SM wheels.

Iain

I've used one. Get a water resistive model. Your can break the epoxy cover off the back of the base and solder on bigger wire, then reapply epoxy. The existing wire is so small and hard to solder. It works well and is easily programmed for a bike. You can also use a door sensor from a burglar alarm and its magnet if you need to replace the sending unit. Just make sure its a "normally open" switch.

im using the bicycle panoram.works good and havent had any problems.its also adjustable for any wheel size.i really dont have any use for a odo,but there was a big todoo a while back about the differences in the panorams(moto vs bicycle).they were $29.95 at walmart so i gave it shot.

here are some pics of my mount.i lengthened the wires and ran them thru small swamp cooler line.i also just epoxied the magnet to the rotor.worked slick!

sensor mount pic

wire inside tubing pic

with ktm fork guard pic

sorry bout the pic quality!those were before good cam! :)

If getting one designed for bikes, get one designed for a rear wheel pickup. That will make the cable long enough to use on a motorcycle. I had the above on a bike I sold. I'm currently using the Panorama. More robust cable and pickup than those designed for bikes.