Air Filter break down

I have been using notoil cleaner and filter oil on both my crf250x and drz400s air filters. After a few months of using this product the filters seem to deteriorate. The seams come apart and the foam starts to crumble. I have used stock filters and UNI filters and the same goes for both. Should I be trying a different product? I use the product per the instructions. Should I be doing something different? I know they don’t last forever but, no need to be buying new ones if I don’t have to.

Thanks

Maybe it's residual cleaner? do you rinse it good after cleaning, or just dry and oil. I doubt the snot oil would be doing it.

This ones along shot. Do you store your bike near any ozone producing device, like a electric motor, well pump, furnace motor, etc?

I rinse the filters under the faucet for a long time. I cant imagine there being any residual cleaner. I think the ozone idea is a long shot... but stranger things have happened.

I have now changed to just UNI filters. I threw the stock filters out. I am going to try just using UNI filter oil and see if it helps. Maybe the Notoil is to harsh.

Thanks

I quit using Notoil for the same reason. The oil eats away the glue on some filters, UNI for sure.

It also dries out on the filter,after about a month, leading to small amounts fo dust passing.

I switched back to Maxima FFT.

you cant use no toil on anything but no toil filters or it deteriorates them. pretty much anything else is fine though.

Have found the stock Honda filters last 2 months or so with No Toil - have tried NoToil filters - lasted OK but wasnt happy with the way they sealed against the airbox - and using the Rim Grease was a PITA but necessary - so a toss up between a bit more mess and a few dollars

So with No Toil its a new OEM filter every 2 months and all is good - like the NoToil cleaning and reoiling - no mees no fuss - just eats filters

But is it the No Toil or just a built in obsolecence for the OEM filters - talked to 3 Honda dealers - all agreed they were a maintenance items - limited life

I have had zero problems after two years. I use either the stock filter, a twin air, or a no toil filter. All three are still in perfect condition.

I also quit the notoil because my OEM Suzuki filter only lasted two cleanings. The foam was falling off in little pieces, and cracking in places. Back to gas and regular filter oil for me.

I also quit the notoil because my OEM Suzuki filter only lasted two cleanings. The foam was falling off in little pieces, and cracking in places. Back to gas and regular filter oil for me.

I guess I really don't understand what the difference between your filter and all three of mine are....all are still 100% intact and I have used no toil from day 1.

This is a mystery.

I have been using notoil cleaner and filter oil on both my crf250x and drz400s air filters. After a few months of using this product the filters seem to deteriorate. The seams come apart and the foam starts to crumble. I have used stock filters and UNI filters and the same goes for both. Should I be trying a different product? I use the product per the instructions. Should I be doing something different? I know they don’t last forever but, no need to be buying new ones if I don’t have to.

I have never used No-Toil, and I never would. Vegetable oil belongs on salads, not in an engine. It is NOT easier to service than dino filter oil, and is NOT as effective.

Just as a single example, I bought a spare OEM filter when I got my new '98 XR400. I am STILL using the same two filters after 10 years. I've primarily used Honda Blue filter oil (can't get it anymore - I think BelRay filter oil is equivalent), or PJ1 airesol oil (its red).

I have to keep 10 bikes/atvs running, so I clean a lot of filters. Cleaning filter with REAL oil in them is easy and super fast. The trick is that I keep a 5-gallon bucket with 2 gallons of Mineral Spirits in it - and mineral spirits dissolves filter oil almost instantly. When filter cleaning time comes around, I take the lid off of the 5-gallon bucket, and sit a small bucket filled with soapy water next to it. Cleaning procedure goes like this:

Remove dirty filter(s) and toss into Mineral Spirits. Toss the filter cages in there too.

Reach into 'Spirit bucket and give filter(s) a couple of squeezes.

Lift out filter(s) and let drain for a few seconds then toss in soapy water.

Reach into soapy water bucket and give filter(s) a couple of squeezes.

Rinse out filters with clean water and let dry.

Full cleaning procedure takes about 30 seconds, less drying time.

Take out the cages, dunk in soapy water, then rinse. Clean in 10 seconds.

Leave the 'spirit bucket and soapy water bucket in position for filter re-oiling and installation.

Re-oil filters with dino oil, squishing the stuff through the filter, then wrapping with paper towels and squeezing out excess - all the while not worrying about getting oil all over your hands. Put filter back on cage and install in bike - again not caring about making a mess out of yourself. Dunk hands in 'spirit bucket then dunk hands in soapy water bucket. Rinse and you're clean.

The whole procedure (less drying time) takes no more than 5 minutes. I think it's WAY easier and faster than stupid No-Toil. I can't believe that the No-Toil product has been so sucessful, and I think it tragic that the best filter oil on the market (good 'ole blue Honda filter oil) was replaced by No-Toil, which is complete junk IMHO.

JayC

JayC

Your procedure sounds much better than what I've done when I've used Bel-Ray oil. I've used solvent (e.g. TwinAir filter cleaner) and it doesn't come out of the filter easily, smells forever and I hate rinsing it down the street.

That said, don't you worry that some of the dirt floating in the spirits bucket gets inside the filter, only to be sucked into the bike because the wash didn't get it out? Your wash seems pretty superficial, but I've not tried it. Are you just using dish soap? How about rim grease??

How many filters do you think you can get done per 2 gallons of spirits?

BTW...NoToil is alcohol based, not vegetable oil.

That "safe" foaming engine degreaser works pretty good on filters, spray it on the filter and let it soak for 10-15min.

Your procedure sounds much better than what I've done when I've used Bel-Ray oil. I've used solvent (e.g. TwinAir filter cleaner) and it doesn't come out of the filter easily, smells forever and I hate rinsing it down the street.

That said, don't you worry that some of the dirt floating in the spirits bucket gets inside the filter, only to be sucked into the bike because the wash didn't get it out? Your wash seems pretty superficial, but I've not tried it. Are you just using dish soap? How about rim grease??

How many filters do you think you can get done per 2 gallons of spirits?

Making it easy is all about having your two buckets at the ready.

The mineral spirits only function is to cut the filter oil. It dissolves it instantly. I can probably do 40-50 filters before having to change out the mineral spirits. The dirt and water that ends up in the mineral spirits sinks to the bottom of the bucket, so I can periodically drain off the spirits then dump out the dirty stuff.

The soapy water removes the remaining dirt and residual mineral spirits. Soapy water strips off mineral spirits (from filters or hands) instantly. It doesn't take much to strip out the dirt once it is released by the mineral spirits.

The 30-second cleaning is FAR from superficial. The filters are completely clean - and you can easily see anything you might've missed. If it doesn't look clean enough on initial inspection, you just give it another shot in the soapy water bucket. It's really not that critical anyway - any dirt that might still be in there gets locked up by the next application of oil, provided the filter is oiled correctly.

I don't use rim grease. I believe that use of grease is an artifact from the old days when filters had a vinyl rim. While there is no harm to using grease, modern foam-rimmed filters don't benefit from using grease, IMHO. I do make sure that the foam rim is well saturated with filter oil though. Once it is squished onto the air box by the filter cage, it is no more susceptable to blow-by than the rest of the filter.

BTW...NoToil is alcohol based, not vegetable oil.

In that case, forget the salad comment. OK...Alcohol belongs in my belly, not on an air filter. That's better.

JayC

That "safe" foaming engine degreaser works pretty good on filters, spray it on the filter and let it soak for 10-15min.

I use that stuff too. The $8 air filter cleaner smells the same and has the same ingredients for the most part.

Thanks for all the help

I use uni filters on 20 dirt bikes.I put the filter in gas for 2 sec.Then warm water in bucket with dish soap.Rinse with water air dry.Then uni filter oil,they last a long time.

I have 6 bikes so some sit a while. I bought some No Toil and did a few of them. The filters fell a part when I touched them. One was like it was glued to the air box. The filters were OE Honda and Uni. I have the No Toil kits I will give to a good home.

The filters fell a part when I touched them. One was like it was glued to the air box. The filters were OE Honda and Uni.

How old were the filters and how long had they sat?

I ask because I cleaned and No-toiled some brand new filters about a month ago and they'll be sitting in the bikes unused until May. I'm actually sorta anxious to try out JayC's method with Belray because I believe the filter oil is more effective, but I've hated the solvent cleaning aspect. Maybe I oughta change em over to Bel-Ray unless your's sat for like years of something.

We have been using No-Toil for about two years now with Twin Air filters and Stock Honda Filters. No issues and i love No-Toil. BTW we clean and re-oil after every race. My filters fall apart after about twenty changes. What else would you expect?