Tach on the WR250R

So as the title states, I have installed a tach on my bike...along with other goodies, but this is specifically for the tach, seeing the bike does not come stock with one. It's nice to see at a glance what this thing is doing at any given moment, even if one such as myself can figure out where the thing is actually revving. So here I have the installed tach, and just how nice it is to have it set up. If anyone wants to know what else I have done to the 2009 WR250R, just let me know.

IMG_0822.jpg

Basically the bike without the tach. There is a strip of velcro you can see right above the steering stem on the tip triple clamp, right below the digital readout cluster.

IMG_0823.jpg

The tach I'm using. Great little unit that can be removed at any given time so when I leave the bike, it can't get ripped off. This thing is remote, so it can be used on anything with a spark plug. It's also sealed.

IMG_0824.jpg

Mounted on the bike. It's tucked out of the way, is easily seen from where the rider sits, and doesn't interfere with any cables wires, or the ignition key.

IMG_0825.jpg

With the ignition on and the bike running, it measures pretty nicely where the bike idles. Very accurate little gizmo which was well worth the price, and also small enough to place out of the way and not look like an ugly blackhead like the one Yamaha puts out, which is also a real pain in the ass to install.

So there you have it, for those of you who would like to have a tach and not just go by ear. It can be done with a little bit of ingenuity.:thumbsup:

cool looks pretty nifty

Have you seen at what rpm the bike hits the rev limiter?

Shewolf:

What is the rate of refresh on the tach? Can you post some information on the installation?

Thanks!

The tach reads instantaneously. You crack on it, it runs through the numbers and holds wherever you hold the throttle at. Looks like the rev limiter hits at around 10,500 (the point where it starts to burble). I damn near died when I saw that. No wonder it loves to rev high.

As for installation, it was REAL easy. Just remember that because this thing has an ignition coil cap right over the top of the spark plug, the feed wire has to be UNDER that cap, otherwise the tach will not give you a readout. I wrapped the wire under the ignition coil cap, then fed the wire thru the harness and up into the digital cluster behind the headlight.

WRRHRmeter.jpg

Once the unit was stuck to the triple clamp, I simply ran the feed wire into the small holder on the side of the tach. That was it. No connectors, no alligator clips, no shrink tubing. The whole thing took me about 10 minutes to install, because you have to move the tank aside to get at the dumb plug. Oh, it also helps if you remove the ignition coil plug BEFORE you wrap the wire around. There is already very limited space in there so any of you guys with sausage fingers like Randy Bachman will have a real fun time with this mod.:thumbsup:

just called my local Stihl dealer. this little number is $80. i fig someone was going to ask :thumbsup:

Stihl = Chainsaw maker

SheWolf = Girl

Hmmm........A suspender clad girl swinging a chainsaw kind of conjures up an interesting mental picture.........

Stihl = Chainsaw maker

SheWolf = Girl

Hmmm........A suspender clad girl swinging a chainsaw kind of conjures up an interesting mental picture.........

I'm sure it's not just a regular chainsaw, but one with a TACH!

Makes that picture even more interesting doesn't it?

I'm sure it's not just a regular chainsaw, but one with a TACH!

Makes that picture even more interesting doesn't it?

Oh man!

Now you're cooking with gas.

If anyone wants to know what else I have done to the 2009 WR250R, just let me know.

So what else have you done to the bike?

BTW, if that tach is reading idle RPM in neutral (as it appears to be doing in the last photo), I would say your tach is not reading correctly. Idle RPM on this bike is slightly higher than your 1080 unless you have fiddled with the idle screw. My WRX idles about 1350-1400 once it's warmed up. I might suggest if you have not messed with the stock idle setting that you might want to wrap the signal wire around your coil a few more times. Experiment with the number of wraps to get the tach to read closer to spec idle RPM. If your RPM is off a few hundred at idle it will be way off at higher speeds. Probably why you are hitting the rev limiter at an indicated 10,500. The rev limiter on this bike is at 11,600. I've seen just over 11K on my tach and no sign of any rev limiter.

Oh man!

Now you're cooking with gas.

No offense SheWolf...

besides, he started it! :thumbsup:

Oh, now that's being a stand-up guy.

*chuckles* Well I DO own a couple of saws; one's a mid range, the other hot saw, although they're Huskies. I'd post up a pic I do have but it's a little...*coughs* Yeah. Maybe if I wore a shirt under the suspenders...

As for what else I have done. Well, besides the typical lowering for my short ass, added the Yamalink, threw on D606's, HID headlight system, got rid of the stock turn signal/plate hangar assembly and put on a fender eliminator and Barkbusters with integrated signals, the tach, polished aluminum skid plate, dual horns (sounds like a cadillac) 12T sprocket for bush riding. I've also got custom decals coming for it, and a Graves Motorsport can plug to get rid of that hideous stock baffle the thing comes with. I'm still scheming with other goodies for this that won't affect the warranty. Once that is gone...well...:thumbsup::moon:

Be still my heart. :thumbsup:

*chuckles*[...] I'd post up a pic I do have but it's a little...*coughs* Yeah. Maybe if I wore a shirt under the suspenders...

:thumbsup: Great post! Nah, just line up the suspenders carefully, it'll be fine.:moon:

Canadian girls :thumbsup:

Actually, the tach is kinda interesting too. It kinda got lost in the excitement :moon:

mwakey seemed to have some insight on actually engine speeds and I *think* the 11,600 for the rev limiter is correct. SheWolf, any thoughts on these discrepancies? mwakey, how are you measuring the engine speed?

Edit: Man with watch, knows what time it is. Man with two watches, never sure... :moon:

Edit2: Or Women :ride:

Thumbs up with that. I gave it a couple more wraps and whaddaya know...BOOYEAH!

TreeKiller.jpg

*chuckles and waits to see who's tach blows a fuse* :moon:

*coughs* Ok, well...no more of those. Next?:thumbsup:

mwakey seemed to have some insight on actually engine speeds and I *think* the 11,600 for the rev limiter is correct. SheWolf, any thoughts on these discrepancies? mwakey, how are you measuring the engine speed?

The rev limit info is direct from the service manual. I'm not saying my tach is more accurate, but it must be closer if I can go over 11K and don't hit the limiter. I have never ran it high enough to hit the limiter, but I am tempted just to see how accurate my tach is.

I like the quote about the two watches. Very fitting.

My tach...

http://keysdog.com/YamahaWR/Motoscope%20Mini/Motoscope%20Mini%20-%20WR250X.html

That's correct!

16972966.jpg

So what else have you done to the bike?

BTW, if that tach is reading idle RPM in neutral (as it appears to be doing in the last photo), I would say your tach is not reading correctly. Idle RPM on this bike is slightly higher than your 1080 unless you have fiddled with the idle screw. My WRX idles about 1350-1400 once it's warmed up. I might suggest if you have not messed with the stock idle setting that you might want to wrap the signal wire around your coil a few more times. Experiment with the number of wraps to get the tach to read closer to spec idle RPM. If your RPM is off a few hundred at idle it will be way off at higher speeds. Probably why you are hitting the rev limiter at an indicated 10,500. The rev limiter on this bike is at 11,600. I've seen just over 11K on my tach and no sign of any rev limiter.

That's correct!

16972966.jpg

What did you do, wring it out in neutral to get that number?