Compression spec's on 230?

I recently had daughters (my) bike rebored from 230 to 250. I warmed it up numerous times in the garage and turned it off according to instructions. Took it out for an hour today and I kid you not, it felt slow and sluggish just like the 230. I could not feel ANY difference and the bike was making a strange noise from the piston or the valves.

My question, I have a compression tester that you hook to the where the spark plug goes and the reading was around 110 psi give or take 5. I cannot find anywhere what the reading is supposed to be for either a stock 230 or 230 with 249cc kit. Is it common to have either the piston ring (s) go out or the valves making noise after about 2 hours of ride time.

I swear it had more torque than it does now and I cannot even get it to pop a wheelie in 1st gear. I have all the other mods, pipe, jetting,airbox, bbr rev box, 420 chain etc....... I have spared no expense and frankly should have just bought a 250, LOL:bonk:

Opinions?

p1010471or8.jpg

w640.png

p1010475aazx3.jpg

w640.png

The service manual spec is 188psi for a stock 230, my 230 with the BBR 240kit after three years is 210psi. I would drain the oil to see if there is any metallic look to it since you say it doesn't sound right, then check the cam timing and valve clearance.

Great advice from NW56. :thumbsup: Good chance the timing is off.

Great looking bike BTW!

I did drain the oil after the ride today so I have about 2 hours total ride time. I did not notice any metal shavings as one would think with a new piston,cam,sleeve and whatever else was put on. I thought maybe I had overfilled the oil initially which I did but not much which is why I drained the oil and put some new synthetic in.

I am going to take it back to the shop but wanted to get some base readings.

110-115 psi is obviously way off from 180 with stock and no where near 210. Maybe I have some faulty rings. I was so disappointed to put so much money into this thing and have it feel worse than it was before.

Thanks for the posts.

J

perhaps the shop failed to properly stagger the rings?

It sounds as though the engine may have been assembled incorrectly. The cam timing may be off a tooth. Your piston may be hitting the valve/s. You didn't mention if there were any other hi performance parts installed.

If you simply installed a big bore and nothing else, you won't notice much difference in power, even after you figure out what is currently wrong. To fully appreciate the added displacement you will need other performance enhancing items to allow the engine to run to its potential.

Good luck and ride safely.

That is a nice looking bike. By the way, what exhaust are you running on that? Let us know how this turns out will ya? :thumbsup:

It sounds as though the engine may have been assembled incorrectly. The cam timing may be off a tooth. Your piston may be hitting the valve/s. You didn't mention if there were any other hi performance parts installed.

If you simply installed a big bore and nothing else, you won't notice much difference in power, even after you figure out what is currently wrong. To fully appreciate the added displacement you will need other performance enhancing items to allow the engine to run to its potential.

Good luck and ride safely.

What other upgrades/performance enhancing items are you referring to? It has a stage 2 cam, open airbox, rev box, powerup needle etc. Is there something else I should put to take advantage of the larger displacement?

James