Not budging

Hello everyone. I am one month away from the dreaded "40th" birthday. So far I have lost approx. 120 lbs. over the last year and a half. I've done it with a strict diet (Tosca Reno) and excercise. Last month, my boyfriend and I went on vacation for a week, and I gained 6 lbs, now of which no matter what I do, I cannot get it back off. Since vacation, I've gone right back to my strict diet, and recently, we re-joined a gym, and I'm working out 3 times a week....sometimes 4 if my time permits it. (I work full time, and have 2 children). Since we re-joined, (about 3 weeks ago) I've noticed that my body feels firmer from doing weight machines, and I feel as if I look better ( I burn an average of 400 calories per workout from doing the eliptical, treadmill & bike) but for the life of me I CANNOT get my weight to drop down!!! It's seriously stressing me out, and I can't figure out what the heck to do!! I'm starting back on my protein shakes starting tomorrow in hopes that will make the difference. I know it did when I had done that before. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I want to drop 30 lbs over the course of the winter, and I'm bound and determined to do it. I just don't want to resort to starvation. I had done that before and got very sick. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

It's all in the diet. If you're taking in say 2200 cals/day and weight is staying the same then drop it to 2000 or do some extra cardio if you don't want to restrict any more calories. Also might be a good time to get your BF% and keep up with that since sometimes the scale can be misleading.

do something aerobic everyday burning 400 cals. 3x/week ain't gonna get it! eat a lg salad and a can of salmon everyday for dinner. no sugar, no bread! get 8hrs of sleep. drink a mug of water every 2 hrs. no juice, no diet soda

I think 400cals 3x a week is pretty good. You just have to decide if you want to do more cardio or eat less cals or do a little of both. Write down everything you eat. You can get a food scale at Wal-mart for $20 and that'll help you keep count of calories.

with the cardio, have you tried HIIT? it's supposed to be more effective at burning fat(as well as being a better upper to your cardio/vo2 capacity), and it has sure worked that way for me--although I haven't lost much actual weight, I'm def burning off fat and it's just "transferring" over to muscle and bone, and I'm happy with that. I keep track of my measurements, not my weight. How long are your cardio workouts? If you are burning 400 cals in 60 mins, you're not working very hard(unless you're a little stick thing:D).

I wouldn't obsess over 6 pounds, just focus on being strong in the short haul and the long haul, healthy, and injury free, it will all come together.

Hello everyone. I am one month away from the dreaded "40th" birthday. So far I have lost approx. 120 lbs. over the last year and a half. I've done it with a strict diet (Tosca Reno) and excercise. Last month, my boyfriend and I went on vacation for a week, and I gained 6 lbs, now of which no matter what I do, I cannot get it back off. Since vacation, I've gone right back to my strict diet, and recently, we re-joined a gym, and I'm working out 3 times a week....sometimes 4 if my time permits it. (I work full time, and have 2 children). Since we re-joined, (about 3 weeks ago) I've noticed that my body feels firmer from doing weight machines, and I feel as if I look better ( I burn an average of 400 calories per workout from doing the eliptical, treadmill & bike) but for the life of me I CANNOT get my weight to drop down!!! It's seriously stressing me out, and I can't figure out what the heck to do!! I'm starting back on my protein shakes starting tomorrow in hopes that will make the difference. I know it did when I had done that before. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I want to drop 30 lbs over the course of the winter, and I'm bound and determined to do it. I just don't want to resort to starvation. I had done that before and got very sick. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

It almost sounds like you are in the transition period of gaining back muscle before starting to lose the fat. I personally will gain a few pounds when getting back into the workout groove and then start seeing the weight start to drop off a month or so.

Just remember...All that muscle mass will get the metabolism reved up and will be burning that fat even at rest...keep on keeping on and you'll get back on track:thumbsup:

Right now I'm kind of on the flip side of this. I'm off work and sitting with an injury. My weight has actually stayed close to the same, yet I can feel the old waistband starting to tighten up and the arms are looking a little spindly....starting to lose the heavier muscle from the summer and gain back the fat from being less active...:moon:

Time for me to get back on the treadmill and back in the gym...

I'm sorry I can't give you any suggestions, I just wanted to say that loosing 120 lbs is awesome. :thumbsup:

Just remember...All that muscle mass will get the metabolism reved up and will be burning that fat even at rest...keep on keeping on and you'll get back on track:thumbsup:

+1 on this. Since you were off for nearly a month, it will take a while for your body to get back into the swing of things. When I ran a lot I found it took about the same amount of time as the break was to feel good again. So a 2 week break took about 2 weeks of training again to feel llike I was back to where I was before the break. Give it a month of solid training and I bet you are right where you want to be.

And I would also like to say congrats on losing 120lbs, that is an awesome change!

Mark

Thanks to all of you for your advice! Last nite when I worked out, I did the eliptical for 35 minutes and burned almost 400 cal. with just that one thing. My average workout time is an hour. Last nite I moved up a level on the eliptical, which burned more calories. Normally I do the eliptical for 30 min, the treadmill for 20 min, and the bike for 10 or 15 min for an average of an hour each workout, not including doing my weight machines. I am really hoping I will start to drop weight in another month. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by May or more if possible. Tonite I will go to the gym and do light cardio and my weights, since I didn't lift weights last nite. I was told to lift weights every other night. I've now decided to work out everyday and alternate my cardio workout with doing weights. Then I'm at least in the gym every day. Wish me luck! And thanks again everyone! Give any more suggestions that may come to mind.