Erratic idle + jetting

Ok, so I was having a issue with the idle on this bike, where it would idle high for a few seconds and then drop to a normal idle condition. I was told that it could be a fuel screw issue and that I needed to adjust it. I went out and bought long fuel screw and I've found that whether I adjust all the way in or out it does little. The high idle condition still exists as well regardless of the position of the fuel screw.

This leads me to believe that the pilot jet is to lean and I need a larger jet. Here is what I have;

178 MJ

42 PJ

I ride at 3000' elevation at this time of year and temps will drop here shortly to around 30* F. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do here as I'm not that great at the jetting thing.... please help!

def sounds a little lean.try the 45 pilot and see what that does.does it pop or backfire on decel?

No it does not, well a little maybe but just a little.

Thanks for that link, you know I had been wondering if that could have been the issue.
You're welcome. Let us know if that is the issue.

To be honest with you I think that you are a little too lean on the Pilot jet anyways. What are you running for exhaust? I ride at 3000-5000 all year round and I have found the 48 pilot to be pretty good. Just a thought as the temp starts to drop. This may very well be your problem as well...

To be honest with you I think that you are a little too lean on the Pilot jet anyways. What are you running for exhaust? I ride at 3000-5000 all year round and I have found the 48 pilot to be pretty good. Just a thought as the temp starts to drop. This may very well be your problem as well...

That's pretty much where I ride at too, I was also considering getting a 45 pilot.

With the right jetting the bike sure delivers a lot of power... I'm running the 55 leak jet, 178 main, 48 pilot and the needle in the 4th position... that is with the FMF power bomb and the White brothers slip-on... It was very different with the stock system... Where in Idaho do you ride?

With the right jetting the bike sure delivers a lot of power... I'm running the 55 leak jet, 178 main, 48 pilot and the needle in the 4th position... that is with the FMF power bomb and the White brothers slip-on... It was very different with the stock system... Where in Idaho do you ride?

I live in the Boise area, so I ride Owyhee desert during the winter and everywhere else during the rest of the year....

That's funny... I live south of Nampa. We ride on the same trails! It's a small world.

We should get together some time for a ride !!