Green River/Price Ut???

Hey all. I go out to Utah a lot this time of year, but always seem to end up in Moab and the surrounding areas. I have heard about the riding up in the Swell and would like to go and check it out. Anyone have some extra beta (already checked on the where2ride forum)? Or, better yet, want to meet up and go riding? I love riding single track, techical stuff, smooth stuff whatever, or roads if they are technical like Moab stuff. I have seen videos of 5MOH, and it looks really fun, but what else is around there? Is the Chimney Rock area outside of Price pretty sweet? It sounds it. Anyway, if I can't find anyone to go, I will probably be riding solo...again...I am planning on heading out on Sat pm, and riding Sun, Mon, and poss Tue. I would love to hook up with someone who knows their way around. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search for GRMA in here and buy him dinner after your ride.

Nice..will do! THanks:worthy: :thumbsup:

If I could go I'd be happy to ride Chimney Rock with you. It's pretty much the most fun riding I've ever had. It's a location that has a little bit of every type of terrain.

Contact Price office of BLM and see if they've got any of the Motorized Route Designation maps of the Swell left. It may be revised at some point in light of the new RMP, but the trails on the referenced map will be unchanged. The map does not cover Chimney Rock.

If you go out there solo, I strongly suggest a GPS and that you carry extra water and that you be very careful. The place is nearly 2,000,000 acres and is very remote. On my first trip out there about 7 years ago, in 2 days we saw one other car. Aron Ralston's epic in a slot canyon was just east of the Swell in similarly remote terrain.

Nathaniel- any tips on how to find Chimney Rock? Or which way to get started once in there. I am pretty excited to check that place out.

Daveindenver- thanks for the safety tips. I am pretty sure that if I got stuck in a slot canyon, I would still be there. I still can't believe he had the balls to cut off his own arm. That story still amazes me. Interested in taking a trip?

Speaking of GPS, I am going to get another one in the next few days. Anyone have any suggestions on which they like. I had a Garmin Etrex, and it worked ok. I didn't like how you coulnt just breadcrumb the trail. I was an old version though, and think the new ones do that.

Also, anyone interested in taking a trip to UT? Or meeting up if you already live over there?

Man id love to go. But I just got back from their last weekend. We hit White Wash 1st day. Got 11 miles of riding in. Then we were messing around in the dunes and my riding partner broke his collar bone. A long drive for an 11 mile ride. Anyway get the Garmin 60csx. Heres a good gps thread. If you want some tracks of the area pm me with your e-mail address.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574108&highlight=garmin+60csx

Daveindenver- thanks for the safety tips. I am pretty sure that if I got stuck in a slot canyon, I would still be there. I still can't believe he had the balls to cut off his own arm. That story still amazes me. Interested in taking a trip?

Speaking of GPS, I am going to get another one in the next few days. Anyone have any suggestions on which they like. I had a Garmin Etrex, and it worked ok. I didn't like how you coulnt just breadcrumb the trail. I was an old version though, and think the new ones do that.

RE: Aron Ralston - I too would likely still be there! How about the raven? Every day it flies over until the last. Did they trade lives or what???

I've got a 2 year old Etrex and it does the breadcrumbs. I think this is it. Its ok but I didn't find its programming to be too intuitive.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=etrex+legend+cx&cid=6565773686059306544#ps-sellers

I suggested GPS because the roads in the Swell can become confusing. Problem I've found though is that not all trails are on GPS.

I'd love to go, but am laid up till spring due to surgery. Maybe once I get going again we could hook up. If you go, send me some pics!!! Love to see em!

Sorry to hear about surgery, hope all is well. Drop a pm when you get better and we'll go for aride.

I had an older version of the etrex, and it had the trackback, which was the best feature, I couldn't load any map info, and it would only lay down a continuous track, and not breadcrumb. It was one of the first ones out. I really only used it to get back home if I started getting lost.

BUT I left it on my bike one day at the Berthoud track and it fell off somewhere, and I didn't realize until I got home.

I just need something basic. The 60series looks awesome, but not in the budget right now.

Do you find that your etrex is pretty good too. I might just go with something along those lines again, and I know the newer ones are much better, and have a longer battery life.

The turn off to where I have staged at Chimney rock is about halfway between Price and I-70. There's a specific mile marker to turn off at, but sadly I don't know it because I'm always just riding with someone else who knows how to get there.

It's south of the old abandoned gas station that's out there though, maybe one or two miles.

Sorry that probably doesn't help, but it's about all I know. I can find it if I was driving but I stink at giving directions.

I'll tell you how to get there if you donate 20 bucks to USA-ALL. :thumbsup:

I'd maybe be available to meet you there on Sunday, not sure yet.

Do you find that your etrex is pretty good too. I might just go with something along those lines again, and I know the newer ones are much better, and have a longer battery life.

I've only owned the one etrex, but its worked ok for me. I agree on battery life issues if you leave it on all day to create a track. I tried that once at a ski resort and it died mid-day. The batteries weren't new though. I don't usually use it to create a track but just turn it on when needed. That said, I started using lithium batteries so it is more reliable. Plus, I take spares.

I asked a guy I know who leaves his gps on for entire rides for advice on what model he uses and batteries, etc., but unfortunately, no response yet. I'll renew my request.

Ok...well...no wonder the guy I mentioned hadn't responded to my PM. I never sent him one!! Mighta gotten distracted by that 'will strip for a bike' thread in the thumpette forum. :thumbsup: Anyway, he said he's got an older etrex and just uses fresh alkalines. I know he keeps it on all ride because he calculates average speed, total ride time with it. He mounts it on his bars. I keep mine in a small pouch that fastens to my camelback strap.

Back to going to Swell solo...be aware that there is NO cell coverage in there.

Hope you have FUN!

Did you make it out alive Marc?....

Had a blast on Sun.....still waiting for you to replace my fork seals......:bonk: