Flooding Crankcase With Mikuni Carb

Its hard for me to remember to turn my manual petcock off everytime I stop the bike, and when I leave it on the crankcase floods ruining my oil. If I leave it on for 30 seconds with my Mikuni carb am I in danger of flooding the crankcase? I could get into the routine, but am likely to leave it on by accident for 30 seconds. Is the FCR the only other option I have?

your wored about 30 seconds

most of of the wornings about leaving the pitcock open is for those 30 minets to over nighters

the S and SM come with a petcock that turns it self off whin the motor is not runing ---- maybe you need to buy one of those petcocks ???

maybe your of the guys that really needs fuel injecton !!!!

Carb style does not matter, they all weep fuel if the tap is left on or the float needle (or gasket) are aged.

Some bikes, the carb is below the valves and the intake is angled in such a way that fuel weepage comes out the bellmouth. Not the case anymore.

Tap off, key out is a habit to develop. My DRZ has the vacuum petcock, my other bikes do not. I have had to develop different habits for different bikes.

FWIW, my SM is 3.5 years old with a non-vacum tap and I NEVER switch my tap off unless transporting the bike to/from the track in the van. I've never had any problems whatsoever.... although others such as yourself have... odd ?

And some day it will bite you in the butt. I have never had my crankcase polluted with fuel and I have never woken up to the garage flooded with fuel with my tank shut off. And I must say that I am always suspicious of my vacuum petcock.

I think the bottom line here is that if your flooding the crankcase with fuel you need to replace the needle and seat. I switched mine over to a manual fueltap just because I switched my old DR over years ago and it drove me nuts that I had the habit of turning it off and couldn't. I still forget sometimes though.

Pauli

$2000 for a 2001 s with 2800 miles on it and acribis 4 gal tank. neglected, not abused.

Sounds like a pretty good deal ya got!! Looks like it might not be a bad idea to replace the needle. or at least inspect it. I use the same type of petcock, but dont have any problems. BTW Dont worry about iowaBClivewire. He just likes to hear his head rattle. ?:moon:

thanks. Ill check it out fist the bike has 3000 miles on it so I can imagine it has been exposed to that much crap. then again the last owner neglected it, the petcock screens were a mess so I presume the carb is as gunked up too. I got away with running it in the warm now that it is below freezing my bike wont start.