06 TE610 won't idle

Well after a long winter fighting cancer I got back on my TE. It wouldn't idle and backfired on decel. It was time to adjust valves so off came the tank, swing radiators out of the way and went ahead and removed the carb. The rubber parts between the carb and airbox and the carb and cylinder were cracked. I thought that the cracks might have lead to a lean setup and cause backfiring. I coated the carb with NAPA #16B Black RTV silicone. Seems to have sealed the parts. I took the jets and needle out and looked for crud/dirt that might have accumulated due to the long winter without draining the tank. Carb was clean. I was running stock can, JD 42, 172, red on the 4th clip and 1.5 turns at 4700feet (Socorro NM). I left all the same except I now have 2 turns out. Put everything back together. And guess what?.........still the same. No idle and backfire on decel.

Got anyclues,

Clueless in Socorro.:thumbsup:

Did you hold the pilot jet up to the light? I bet its blurry! Try soaking it in lacquer thinner/acetone/finge rnail polish remover overnight

Did you hold the pilot jet up to the light? I bet its blurry! Try soaking it in lacquer thinner/acetone/finge rnail polish remover overnight

Dave,

I took the jets out and they "looked" fine. I soaked them in lacquer thinner and reassembled. Idles fine! I will take it to work tomorrow and checkout the backfire problem.

Again Thanks for the timely advice,

Steve

make sure to clean and re-oil your air filter really good or else this will happen again