Zumo 450 GPS on WR250R

After lots of hit and miss internet research, I decided to get a Zumo 450 GPS for my WR. Costco had it for $349 with a bracket, street map and cable, so I went for it.

The Zumo 450 is aimed at street riders, but from what I can tell will be able to do the relatively simple off-road stuff I need with the correct additional map installed. It lacks some functionality that the serious off-road units offer, but I think I will prefer the larger screen on the Zumo. And I'll be using it mainly on the street anyway.

It seems like people are super loyal to the GPS units they choose, so as a newbie to GPS, I don't claim to be an expert.

The Zumo comes with a universal mount that swivels every which way, but I wanted something cleaner that would put it more out of the way of damage for off roading.

So I made a little aluminum plate that bolts to the top of my ProTaper bar clamps. The Zumo mount is screwed to the plate. The zumo mount has a quick release so you can take the GPS with you when you park.

The set up came out pretty well, and so far I'm really happy with the GPS unit. :thumbsup:

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Sounds like you got a great deal.

Nice install too.

Nifty mount system. I put a Zumo 550 on my WRX using the handlebar mount.

So far, I love it.

zumowrx3.jpg

zumowrx4.jpg

Sweet opening page on your Zumo! I'll have to put a custom image on mine too, just to keep up!

Damnit, now I have to go by costco today with a friend and her card.

I already have a few GPS units but at this price.....

Damnit, now I have to go by costco today with a friend and her card.

I already have a few GPS units but at this price.....

I got mine at Costco online. I'm not sure that they have them in the stores. It only took a couple of days to arrive....but the waiting was hell!

Hey Thumpthing, that's a nice set up for your bars as well. What kind of clamp do you have on there?

I got mine at Costco online. I'm not sure that they have them in the stores. It only took a couple of days to arrive....but the waiting was hell!

That could be a good thing.

I don't really NEED it but at that price if it is in the store...

It is even good enough a price to joing for $50 and still come away cheaper than buying elsewhere. But I resisted joining online and ordering it.

Hey Thumpthing, that's a nice set up for your bars as well. What kind of clamp do you have on there?

I got the fat ProTaper bars right after I got the bike. To mount them, I used some protaper clamps that are made to adapt the bars to normal 7/8" mounts. The clamps raise the bars by about 3/4", which works fine with the Reed/Henry bend. That bend seems really close to the stock bend.

They didn't have the Zumo in store, they had some other units but no Zumo.

If it were meant to be, they would have had it there, I'll hold off and use what I have for now.

Think maybe the FMF programmer will be my next mod....

Was either of your Zumo's hardwired to the bike's ignition or battery directly?

thanks

I wired mine directly to the battery. I wanted to be able to run the GPS off the bikes battery when the bike was turned off. Worked great.

Mine is wired directly to the battery also. I couldn't find a switched accessory terminal to wire to. I just have to always remember to turn the GPS off when I park.

The Zumo is nice!

I went with the 60CSx and a Touratech mount.

gps4.jpg

gps5.jpg

Just got a nice fused wiring kit to feed it off the battery.

Amazing how handy these damn things are!:)

The Touratech mount is a sweet setup. It cradles and locks the GPS down

and has a rubber dampening system to absorb shocks while riding offroad.

That rubber isolation is sweet!

Nifty mount system. I put a Zumo 550 on my WRX using the handlebar mount.

So far, I love it.

zumowrx3.jpg

Looks good, where did you find this graphic to use as your splash screen?