661 pressure suit and AXO TMKP knee guards review

Well the trip to ten mile was a good chance to try some new safety gear. I bought the 661 pressure suit and a set of AXO TMKP knee guards. The dunes are very forgiving for an average rider and about the only time I have got hurt was from my body contacting my bike (usually my knees) on a get off.

I started off with under armour under the 661 and regular MX socks under the knee guards. Temps were in the 50s and 60s. I quickly had to shuck the under armour and after that point I never gave any thought to the 661 pressure suit. It was comfy and moved with me well. My only complaint is that it will be a furnace in the summer, but for fall riding it was perfect. I never had a serious wreck so I'm glad to report I don't know how well it would have protected me. But I did feel protected, and more bold with it on. I feel it was well worth the money and am satisfied with the 661 pressure suit.

The AXO knee guards were another thing all together. Hip length socks would be needed for extended riding. I didn't have any so there were some Chafing issues. I could never get them to settle in and found myself adjusting them everytime I stopped or started. (no fun to be on approach to a large jumnp and have one hand tugging gear into place) I did wear them all day (about 7 hours). They fit under my riding pants but looked and felt very bulky. It took some getting used to the feeling of lateral support and it also took some getting used to how far away from the bike they held my knees. Both those feelings went away as the day went on. Again I never had a serious wreck so I don't even know if all the trouble is worth it. However untill I can afford new knee guards I will continue to wear these for protection.

My brother bought 10$ knee guards from Rocky Mountain and loved them and had a pretty serious wreck and his knees were un harmed (his wrist less fortunate). But by going a little more expensive ( I think list on the AXO guards was 60$) I got less satisfaction. Here is a pic of me in the gear, I was working on the bike and it shows some of the bulk of both sets of gear. Hope this info will help someone make protective gear choices.

10mileNov08034.jpg

Hmmm guess no-one cared. :moon: :moon: :thumbsup:

I was looking at the AXO knee guards and the 661 pressure suit. The knee guards are around AUS$99 and the 661 suit was around AUS$180 for the 661HD. Other variations go to AUS$300.

After looking at whats available, and considering I rode motocross without any of this gear (not even knee pads which is why I walk funny- and the scars.....god have I got some good scars) I was wondering if any of my ice hockey gear would work. It'd be all right in winter. I've got some very old but new condition knee/shin guards that'd stop an anti tank round. Rhino brand.

I will eventually spring the cash for the 661 pressure suit, but I think I'll look at something else for knee guards.

Thanks for the review.

I have a 661 pressure suit and it has served me well, even in a number of get-offs in rocky terain. It does act as a steamer in the warmer months, but i'd rather sweat than bleed :thumbsup:

Knee guards are a pain in the ass. I wear the basic sock type (pull up) with 4-5 armour pads in each knee. These are 661 also. I hate them, but wear them religiously.

I love mine Koreta!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By doniton2
      anybody running the gut buster 24 this weekend? It looks to be a good ol mud race.  http://www.thegutbuster24.com
    • By Bryan Bosch

Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Star battles Through All-New Format Hell’s Gate to Finish Second
      February 11, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Graham Jarvis has earned a strong second place at the 2018 Hell’s Gate extreme enduro. With an all-new format for this year, concluding in a 20-minute sprint race, the event posed a fresh challenge for the five-time winner.
      For the first time ever, the event kicked off with a Prologue race on the Friday night. Designed to set the starting order for Saturday’s race, the Prologue was an endurocross style event held close to the hosting Il Ciocco Hotel. Although it provided a great spectacle for the fans, the race results were eventually scrapped due to issues with the course.
      Saturday’s heat race went well for Jarvis. An expert at managing his pace, the Brit did exactly what he had to do over the five-laps, finishing fourth aboard his Husqvarna FE 250 in the cold conditions of the Tuscan hills. The position gave him a good start for the night race, which saw riders set off at 3.30pm for a tough three-hour multi-lap event.
      At the conclusion of the night race, the top-10 riders were given a 15-minute break before contesting the new 20-minute endurocross in the arena area of the venue. In freezing conditions, the riders fought bar-to-bar in front of the record-crowd of spectators to decide the overall winner. With the final results calculated on the sum of the previous legs, Jarvis was announced as runner-up, just a few minutes behind eventual winner Mario Roman.
      Graham Jarvis: “I really enjoyed the racing today, I always do here at Hell’s Gate. It’s been a tough couple of days and I’m still getting used to riding the 4-stroke, but the bike has been absolutely faultless over the entire weekend. It has been pretty close between the top-four all day and it’s all come down to the final 20-minute race off. It would have been nice to take my sixth win at the event, but I’m happy with second.”
      Results – Hells Gate 2018
      1. Mario Roman (Sherco) 3:06:03
      2. Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna) 3:08:57
      3. Travis Teasdale (Beta) 3:12:45
      4. Diego Nicoletti (Husqvarna) 3:32:14
      5. Sonny Goggia (KTM) 3:39:26
      6. Michele Bosi (Beta) 3:46:15

Husqvarna Motorcycles North America, Inc.
      Husqvarna has continued to expand its professional race team to compete in AMA Supercross, AMA Pro Motocross, AMA National Enduro, GNCC, AMA EnduroCross, and AMA National Hare & Hound championships. Husqvarna team riders are competing aboard Husqvarna FC 450, FC 350, FC 250, FE 350, TC 250 and TE 300 models.
      Rockstar Energy Drink
      Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
      Source: Husqvarna Motorcycles GmbH

• By deanmellor
      My top end went on m 98 cr 125, the needle bearing clip came out and broke apart and shrapnel got everywhere and blew it up. I cleaned out the top end and washed out the crank with the bike upside down. the bike starts up great and seems to run fine but im getting a weird di-di-di-di-di-di-di noise coming from the motor. i tried adjust the power valve and tightening everything but the noise is still there. Here is a link to a video where you can hear the sound. It gets louder as rpm's get higher and at really low rpm barely idling it goes away. I am pretty new to bikes and 2 strokes so any help would be appreciated.
      https://youtu.be/msfU8WCXg8E
    • By RidingWithStyle
      In need of Cycra Handguards (probends) for my bike. Need 1 1/8 clamp size for renthal twinwalls. Message me if you have any for sale at a good price! 
    • By Baja Designs
      Hello CRF450R Owners,
      Bailey here with Baja Designs.  We recognize ThumperTalk as one of the go-to sources for information on the CRF450R and we receive emails daily regarding the best inexpensive light setup or purchasing the B1K setup ran by Ox Motorsports.  We would like this thread to be a General Discussion area for members and guests to discuss Dual Sport Kits (DSK), Lights, and Lighting Acessories based upon stock and modified charging systems.  Please Post up if you have any questions or comments CRF450R related! 
      www.bajadesigns.com