what's wrong with my bike?

i think i have two problems with my bike. I suspect that i have a busted oil seal, or some kind of internal oil leak problem, and also i think my edlebrock carb is malfunctioning

bike: 2002 xr650r. w/ edlebrock carb

problem 1 - no matter what the jetting setting is on my carb, every time i pull the plug, it is black and wet. i suspect the wetness is from oil?

in addtition, i cannot get a reading on the dipstick. i check it when the bike is hot and has been running. i changed the oil this summer and put 2 qts in it. i rechecked it the other week and it was below the stick, so i topped it off. then it went below the stick again after my next ride. i ended up putting a whole quart in and still no reading. i guess my bike is eating oil somehow?

problem 2 - no matter what i set the pumpshot setting to on my edlebrock, the bike keeps stumbling and dieing. ive taken the carb apart and shot air thru the jets and played with the AC setting and there is no improvement. could this stumbling be related to the oil problem?

thanks

What does your exhaust look like? Is it clean or does it look like a 2 stroke? What does your plug look like? Is it clean or does it have a crusty or tar like build up? Any damp spots under the bike? Oil in the air filter? Check you coolent for oil and your oil for coolent.

I know little about the R. But this info will help thse who do tell ya how to fix er. :thumbsup:

How long do you run it before you check it? It takes about 5 min to get a good reading.

I have a sight tube on mine.

i checked the oil after an hour ride.

the exhaust has some white smoke. it decreases a little as the engine warms up

i just need to know if the internal oil issues are related to the motor stumbling when i open the throttle, or if that is a seperate prob?

Well, If ya have a blowby issue you would could have ok idle. But lose compression and power on higher RPM. You would also burn oil like crazy. But your exhaust would be blue tinged. Not white. You may also find oil in the air filter as case pressure would be higher.

White smoke would suggest that your sending coolent through your Combustion chamber.

A cracked block or blown head could be dumping both oil and coolent in the chamber. And would produce white smoke that could cover the blue tinge by volume. It could also, idle fine but compression could go crap in higher RPM. You could have oil and coolent cominglling.

The engine could "stumble" in either case There's nothing that you could do to the carb in either case to fix the problem.

It could also be worn valve guides or stems, but the engine would be less likely to stumble. But may have blueish smoke.

Of course the burning oil, white smke, and engine stumble coud be unrelated and their own individual problems.:thumbsup:

ok ill drain the oil tomorrow and see what it looks like.

btw, the engine only stumbles when i open the throttle fast. if i roll it on, it revs fine. (in neutral)

I'd do a leak down test of the cylinder.

1st, i'd say u need to get that Eddy dialed in.

2nd, u need to change ur oil, add the reccomended amount and start checking it regularly... IF i don't check my oil after a ride i check it the next day before i ride again...

...my bike doesn't set two or three days and then i jump on it and ride without checking the oil level :moon:

:thumbsup:

Substitute Denn here, time to rebuild your water pumper engine. Better yet, trade it in on a shiny XR650L.

another possible clue - when i first crank the bike, the throttle response is great and doesnt stumble when it is cold. but once the bike warms up, it starts to stumble.

another possible clue - when i first crank the bike, the throttle response is great and doesnt stumble when it is cold. but once the bike warms up, it starts to stumble.

This may a bit basic for you, but only three things are needed for good combustion.

1: Ignition

2: Compression

3: Fuel

If you have all three in the correct quantity, you have a good running issue.

Check the easy first, do a compression test. Wet and dry.

This may a bit basic for you, but only three things are needed for good combustion.

1: Ignition

2: Compression

3: Fuel

If you have all three in the correct quantity, you have a good running issue.

Check the easy first, do a compression test. Wet and dry.

Substitute Denn says Thanks Mr Obvious! When is Denn 1 coming back? I'm tired of covering for him and I hate his avatar.

Substitute Denn says Thanks Mr Obvious! When is Denn 1 coming back? I'm tired of covering for him and I hate his avatar.

Doesn't matter. It's just enough to keep up with you OT posting Neil Young fans.

Doesn't matter. It's just enough to keep up with you OT posting Neil Young fans.

naaaaw...Neil Young sux w/o the rest of the boyeez... :moon:

...kinda like Cheech w/o Chong... :moon:

...Norze w/o :ride:

well u get my drift... :ride:

:p:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UPDATE

i drained the oil and i had overfilled it.

i guess the oil was pushing past the rings since it was overfilled. even after all of the oil i had burned, i still drained 2 qts out. (service manual says that the motor holds 2quarts at disassembly, but only 1.6 quarts at draining)

i refilled it with 1.5 quarts and it still has the same prob. the bike bogs every time i rev it from idle. and the plug comes out sooty black

what did i most likely damage from overfilling the oil?

i checked the compression, and on the 6th kick of the test, it read 165psi, which is good.

stumped

How long has it been since the air filter was serviced?

i cleaned it a couple of hours ago. i guess ill try it again, but i dont think that it would have that dramatic of an effect from one ride.

something comes to mind, i did some semi-deep water crossings. the water was up to maybe the pegs or a tad more. is it possible that i sucked water in thru the crankcase breather hose? i didnt see any water in my oil though

if my engine is eating oil, and it has good compression, where might the defect be?

this winter im replacing the cam, vavles, cam chain and sprocket and cylinder and top end anyway for performance reasons, so that might take care of whatever is damaged, unless it's the vavle guides, which i really hope it is not since i dont have the equipment to replace those

Do you have a stock carburetor you can through on that thing for comparison purposes? Sounds like you have a very rich condition going on if it runs good when cold and starts running badly when hot.

Also, replace your spark plug. Make sure it's gapped correctly. You could have fouled it with the continued rich running/possible oil burning from overfilling.

Do you have a stock carburetor you can through on that thing for comparison purposes? Sounds like you have a very rich condition going on if it runs good when cold and starts running badly when hot.

Also, replace your spark plug. Make sure it's gapped correctly. You could have fouled it with the continued rich running/possible oil burning from overfilling.

X2:thumbsup:

If I am having issues that I think are carb related, I throw my stock carb back on (in replacement of my FCR). It is an easy swap and is a quick way to eliminate that part of the air/fuel/spark triangle. While I have the tank off to swap the carb out, I can also have a quick look at the valves (a 5 minute job) and the spark plug.

Follow the above advice and you will be fine.:thumbsup: