97 CR250 Fork Damper Issues! Help!

Hello all, Im in a situation of a problem that doesnt seem to end and Im stressing my head over it! So heres the story so far:

A few weeks ago I decided to do a full oil change in the forks. The left fork was too easy, not one problem. But the right fork gave me grief. After bleeding the damper, fittting the fork cap then compressing the damper rod, it would push the majority of oil into the outer chamber then suck in air when I pulled the rod back out (rod doesnt bounce back like it should.)

So I took it to a shop and the mechanic had a look at it and told me it was fine. I shook my head and took it to another shop that I know the owner of and he said that theres a seal in the center of the fork cap assembly that possibly needs replacing. He then sends it to a person whos been dealing with suspension for a long time and he called back and said he cant find a fault but THERES A SHIM STACK MISSING. ***. So heres where Im stuck. It appears someone has taken the fork cap off it before, BUT, everything looked the same as the other fork which still had factory glue on the threads, so nothing could have gone missing. Did the 97 model even have shims being the first model with dual chamber forks?

The suspension guy wants me to take everything else I have of the fork to him just to show I dont have the shim stack. Thats just stupid. Im not an idiot. What the hell do I do now? I dont know what to say to them. I feel im getting f*cked around and have nowhere else to turn to. And Im quite p!ssed off about the whole situation because its now been 3 weeks at the shop! Just because of a leak! Argh!

Thanks in advance.

Btw, heres a pic of the fork cap assembly before I took it to the shop. Does it look like anythings missing?

fork_capSmall.jpg

. I shook my head and took it to another shop that I know the owner of and he said that theres a seal in the center of the fork cap assembly that possibly needs replacing.

That guy is close to right. The ICS piston (with the O-ring on it) has a seal in it which is bad and needs replaced.

doc

That guy is close to right. The ICS piston (with the O-ring on it) has a seal in it which is bad and needs replaced.

doc

The bit with larger O-ring right? Just making sure. And does ICS stand for anything? Might pay him a visit tonight.

I still dont know what to say about the "missing shim stack". how could it just dissapear? lol Cant think of a reason someone would remove it.

The bit with larger O-ring right? Just making sure. And does ICS stand for anything? Might pay him a visit tonight.

I still dont know what to say about the "missing shim stack". how could it just dissapear? lol Cant think of a reason someone would remove it.

Yes your right. ICS= Inner Chamber Spring. By looking at your pic I don't think there is a "missing shim stack". He's probably talking about the BCV stack and your bike didn't come with it. JUst tell him to install a new ICS piston seal and you'll be good to go.

doc

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it back last weekend. He replaced ALL the seals in it (came as a seal kit) and all is good. No more leaks. :bonk:

...Set me back $150 AU though lol wasnt expecting it to be that much.

Cheers for the help!