Anything else for rear sprocket swap?

Gonna go w/a 14/47 setup on my S model. When I bought the front sprocket I realized I also needed a lock washer I had to order separately. Is there anything else I should replace when I replace the rear sprocket? The bike only has 2k miles on it, so I plan on keeping the stock chain.

The stock chain does not have a master link, so you should buy a chain cutter and whatever necessary linkage you need before you start working on it.

The lock washer can generally be used several times. No there is nothing else that needs to be replaced with the sprockets.

The stock chain does not have a master link, so you should buy a chain cutter and whatever necessary linkage you need before you start working on it.

Can't change the sprockets without breaking the chain?

If you change the gearing dont ya think you will need to shorten or lenghten the chain?

If you change the gearing dont ya think you will need to shorten or lenghten the chain?

I thought you could use the stock S chain with 14/47.

You can change both front and rear without removing chain. Stock chain will work with many gear combos. I run a variety of gear combos with the stock chain length. Use some red lock-tite on your cs splines before putting on the front sprocket.

I have no idea. i dont have a drz, i dont know the stock gearing either. Usually when you mess with gearing a couple links might need to be taken out or put in.

I have no idea. i dont have a drz, i dont know the stock gearing either. Usually when you mess with gearing a couple links might need to be taken out or put in.

Yeah, one of the reasons I picked 14/47 was so I (hopefully) wouldn't have to mess with it.

Shouldn't there be some adjustment at the rear axle instead of having to add/remove links?

You can use the stock chain length with almost all gear options available for the DRZ. I run 14t/47t with stock chain now. Snail adjuster is one notch higher than 2. I don't know if you can put on a 50 tooth rear (14t front) with stock chain. That is what I will be throwing on next for tight woods riding.

You can use the stock chain length with almost all gear options available for the DRZ. I run 14t/47t with stock chain now. Snail adjuster is one notch higher than 2. I don't know if you can put on a 50 tooth rear (14t front) with stock chain. That is what I will be throwing on next for tight woods riding.

Sweet.

Hi folks, any tips on loosening up the bolts for the rear sprocket? I tried applying some WD40 front and back to loosen them up, but when I tried to remove one I broke my 6mm hex socket. Thank goodness for Craftsmen tools! But now I am leery of trying again without some way of breaking the bolts. Any good tips?

Thanks

OB

You hold the bolt with the hex key and turn the nut on the backside with an open end wrench. Trying to turn the bolt out of the nut will result in damage as you have incurred.

You hold the bolt with the hex key and turn the nut on the backside with an open end wrench. Trying to turn the bolt out of the nut will result in damage as you have incurred.

AHA! Man I'm so glad this forum exists. You guys ROCK.

Thanks, OB

Yep, the E with 14/47 uses a 112 link chain. The S with 15/44 uses the same 112 link chain.

The only reason for using a chain breaker is if you're replacing the chain as well... the "breaker" might as well be an angle grinder or a cold chisel.

If the stock chain has a few miles on it, I'd suggest replacing it to avoid mismatched wear. DID VM or RK GXW if you don't mind using rivet links.

when i bought my drz it had a 16t/47t with an aftermarket chain...i changed the front sprocket to a 15t and the chain still fit but the adjusters were close to maxed out