sleepy hands!!!

really rode my "new to me" xr4 today for the first time... first let me say wow! this bike is an animal but yet nimble!

anyway, rode a little better then 50 mi, not consectuively, but pretty minimal amount of breaks, and my hands are killing me! i know for sure the grips that are on it suck and they will be gone before my next ride, but is there any that are recommended?

also and handle bar recommendations? i just want to be able to ride longer without having to stop and get the feeling back in my hands. today i worked on not gripping the bars so hard, and that helped a little, but i was still trying to keep my hands awake!

ryan

ride more often...you're body will get used to it. i have the Pro Taper EVO "Henry/Reed" bars on my 400 and love em. a bit higher than stock and swept back a little too. i also have a Scott's steering stabilzer that help out a ton.

if you are newer to riding your body is using muscles it hasn't ever used that way. just like anything else the more you do it the more tolerant your body becomes.

If it still has the stock waffle grips on it, yeah, I hate those. Good for nothing but tearing your hands up.

I run Pro Tapers CR Hi bend with Tusk adapters and the Pro Grip 714 grips. Very good combo.

Like was said, you just have to learn to relax and not hold the bars with a death grip. Give yourself a little time.

if you've got carpal tunnel syndrom (work with your hands?) it isn't going to get better.

You can try "bar snake" or fill the handlebars with lead shot or bbs to reduce vibration. Or go all the way (like me) and get the special handlebars that have urethane bump stops and actually flex to absorb vibration. (name escapes me at the moment, but they are expensive).

Good gloves (padding in the palm like weight lifting gloves) help.

As far as grips I like the oury waffle. They are soft but still last a good amount of time. And for bars I am running pro taper fat bars that are quad bend(had them laying around so i tried them and actualy liked them on the xr400). They are higher than stock plus you get about 3/4" from the adptrs. The bars are also wider so I cut 1/2" of each end.

thanks. i will look into some new bars and some new grips. i think that a may have carpal tunnel... my hands have been bothering me lately when i sleep.

but when i get new bars dont i need new mounts for them as well?

Only if you get 1 1/8" bars(regular Pro Tapers). The Tusk adapters will work fine and they're relatively cheap.

but when i get new bars dont i need new mounts for them as well?

so i was looking at the pro tapers that you guys were recommending... but what do all the numbers mean to me and how do i know what will work for me? to many choices!!!

It sounds like your body might have less-than-average circulation. As you get into better shape from riding a lot, the sleepy-hand sensation may decrease a bit... but unless you do a lot of cario on the side to get into great shape it'll still probably be an issue to some degree.

Pro Taper makes both the 1 1/8" fat bar(recommended) and the SE series(seven eighths/ 7/8"). The stock bar is 7/8".

How tall are you?

I am 5'11" and run the 1 1/8" CR Hi bend bars with the Tusk adapters. The adapters will give you 3/4" rise themselves, so this combo works well for me.

Alot of the other numbers you may be seeing relate to a bars pull back, rise, width from grip end to end and bar center width(clamping area).

If you are currently having trouble relaxing your grip, trust me, you DO NOT want waffle grips, especially with waffle in the palm area. The Pro Grip 714 are a very comfortable gel grip. Something like those and a Pro Taper fat bar do well at dampening vibes.

And the fat bars are dang near indestructible.

really rode my "new to me" xr4 today for the first time... first let me say wow! this bike is an animal but yet nimble!

anyway, rode a little better then 50 mi, not consectuively, but pretty minimal amount of breaks, and my hands are killing me! i know for sure the grips that are on it suck and they will be gone before my next ride, but is there any that are recommended?

also and handle bar recommendations? i just want to be able to ride longer without having to stop and get the feeling back in my hands. today i worked on not gripping the bars so hard, and that helped a little, but i was still trying to keep my hands awake!

ryan

Dude. I have the same problem. You need to ride more often. If you wear elbow guards, make sure they loose fitting so it does not cut off any blood flow to your hands. your hands are working hard and need un interupted flow. The right gloves are always a plus. they have to fit perfect on your hands. What has helped me out alot is pillowtop grips see this forum

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680821

These grips have helped me out alot. I notice my hands are like jello for my first hour of riding. then they are ok after that. I am always shaking them out on my ride during that time. It really comes down to everything i mentioned and more riding time. As far as your handle bars, it is really what you are comfy with. loosen the tree and sit on the bike. Then put the bars where that are most comfy for you. thghted the tree and give it a ride. Good luck

thanks a lot guys, i will look into that combo.

trailryder, i am 5'9" i think that i would like a thicker bar personally. and some softer grips. i think that i am in pretty good shape but like i said recently my hands have been uncomfortable. typing right now my middle finger on my left hand is numb, so i know that i have something going on, i just want my bike to be as easy on my arms and hand as possible.

sounds like CT. Riding is going to be a b*tch for you too. Best thing you can do is buy the glove type thing that keeps your wrist straight. You wear them at night. Numb at night is when you are bending your wrist, reducing the blood flow (which is already reduced if you have CT).

The glove has a steel rod that extends up into your palm and keeps you from bending your wrist too far. They help a LOT.

Good point to make. I don't like alot of the gloves offered these days. Alot of them are quite tight in the fingers, even tho they're the correct size for your hand. They're like wearing spandex for the hands. They can compress the blood right out of your fingers.

I prefer the older box finger style gloves.

The right gloves are always a plus.
Good point to make. I don't like alot of the gloves offered these days. Alot of them are quite tight in the fingers, even tho they're the correct size for your hand. They're like wearing spandex for the hands. They can compress the blood right out of your fingers.

I prefer the older box finger style gloves.

Right on mark bro. If you go the next size up from a good fitting glove then you will get bunching in the palm and get blisters quick.

After going through a few gloves my fox dirtpaw gloves fit perfectly.