Scraping sound from a 250F engine, timing chain?

2007 250XCF. --40 hours--.

I may be getting paranoid, but I start hearing a scraping sound coming from the engine. More noticeable on the right side( cam chain side). The noie amplifies with rpm increase.

Any issues with the cam chain tensioner on these bikes?

thanks

Skid plates make some weird sounds. Did you try taking it off?

It does have a skid plate, but this is scraping sound not vibration related.

Engine hot (normal operation temp), clutch out. Engine oil lever half way on the side glass, engine starts fine and runs great.

Almost sounds like a car alternator bearing gone bad.

More noticeable just above idle speed.

What can it be?

Help me OBi-1-Kenobi :thumbsup:

If it's anything like what my EXC400 does, I'm told it's "normal"...

Pretty disconcerting, still, but "normal"...

I am not sure if it is normal.

I only had this bike for a month or so I did not notice it at first.

I was expecting some noise from the timing chain.. going around , but it is over powering the exhaust noise at idle.

At first I rode without ear plugs, but the son-of-a-BEE-OUCH is so loud, I (for the first time ) started using earplugs on the trails. Toward the end of the ride I noticed this noise getting louder (earplugs- in).

I will pull the valve cover to see if anything obvious showing around the timing chain area. If it is a tensioner issue, I would think it would run different than normal, wouldn't it?

I am not sure if it is normal.

That's almost "word-for-word" what I said... :moon:

I only had this bike for a month or so I did not notice it at first.

I was expecting some noise from the timing chain.. going around , but it is over powering the exhaust noise at idle.

Only at idle though, correct? It gets smoother when you rev it up a little?

At first I rode without ear plugs, but the son-of-BEE-OUCH is so loud, I (for the first time ) started using earplugs on the trails. Toward the end of the ride I noticed this noise getting louder (earplugs- in).

I will pull the valve cover to see if anything obvious showing around the timing chain area. If it is a tensioner issue, I would think it would run different than normal, wouldn't it?

I did the same thing, to no avail...

I'll "check to the power" when it comes to the 250F because I've never worked on that model. All I can say is that my EXC makes a horrendous noise while idling, which I am told is "normal"... :thumbsup:

This engine does not have the "normal" sounds like hunos 400 does.

I would be removing the top cover and checking the cam chain, if its not tight do not ride it until it is fixed!!!

what Dave said, and check/adjust your valves.