Possible 2009 CRF Flame Out Stall - Mid Air

According to the website where this came from, the guy's bike stalled mid-air and caused this get off. Those riding 09's need to be aware of flame out issues, mostly at low throttle or just putting around. I think this is one where he tapped the rear brake, which can also contribute to flame outs. I know a lot a guys that have experienced flame-outs with the 09, even after you it figured out, it can still come back if you aren't careful.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyACivDnBs

man that sucks, does ayone know what the cause of this is??

If you listen to the vid, the bike did not flame out or stall (although you could hear the chain slap when he brake tapped). The bike was still running after he hit the dirt.

they are too rich at idle....... STILL.

I think he would have panic revved if it didn't die....ALL racers know this, and to do that jump he is clearly a decent rider.

Panic rev would not have stoped that foreward momentum.His clutch lever could have been out of adjustment from clutch fade and when he tapped the rear brake it caused the motor to stall.I have noticed that the new 4 spring clutch fades quicker than the old 6 spring style.

If you listen to the vid, the bike did not flame out or stall (although you could hear the chain slap when he brake tapped). The bike was still running after he hit the dirt.

There is definatley a noise that sounds like it locked up, but when i watched it again, the bike was running before it hit the ground, did anyone catch that.

Looks like rider error to me. I think he stalled because he didn't pull the clutch in enough. It didn't even look like he needed to brake tap to correct his attitude.

Looks like rider error to me. I think he stalled because he didn't pull the clutch in enough. It didn't even look like he needed to brake tap to correct his attitude.

The front end doesn't just fall out of the sky like that. Something was going on. This rider is no amateur from what I've heard.

P.S. I agree with the poster regarding holding it pinned open. That's your instinct when you are in this situation.

an it helps BIG time....

Just the other day I hit a nasty little kicker on the tracks biggest jump....and i actually upshifted twice to get more wheel speed...it completely stopped my twist forward, just like when you hit the rear brake...it's not as effective as instantly stopping the wheelspeed, but it helps.

I do not think it fair to critique that rider....he is probably a better rider than all of us for all we know.

I think he definately had the bike die or mechanical failure.

The front end doesn't just fall out of the sky like that. Something was going on. This rider is no amateur from what I've heard.

P.S. I agree with the poster regarding holding it pinned open. That's your instinct when you are in this situation.

Missing a shift or kicking the shifter on the face of a jump will do the exact same thing. And if that happens, a panic rev wouldnt help anyway.

It kinda seems like he hit the eject button early. No panic rev, no hanging over the back, maybe i'm just too old school. Granted I've never jumped that big jump @ lake Elsinore, but I have done some good size tables on my 09 without any problems at all, hope he was ok.

The front end doesn't just fall out of the sky like that.

Sure it does if you stall the motor during a brake tap. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions. The question is whether or not the bike flamed out and stalled on it's own or with some help from the rider's clutch hand.

if you listen closely, on the first jump he blipped the throttle twice before he landed, then when he touched down, he gave it gas.

on the second jump he did the same two blips, but was on his way over the bars before he even could give it a rev.

why didnt you catch this? any rider should notice this,

is this just another thread to discount the crf450? nice try and its getting really old.

"We're sorry this video is no longer available"

Sure it does if you stall the motor during a brake tap. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions. The question is whether or not the bike flamed out and stalled on it's own or with some help from the rider.

I think we are on the same page here. My theory as well, but the key point is the 09 tends to flame out easy when touching the rear brake or running at very low RPM. This could have occurred here. A carborated bike, IMO, would be less susceptible to this occurring. This thread was more o a public service announcement and an FYI than anything warning other 09 users to be careful.

"We're sorry this video is no longer available"

Works here.

Works here.

Worked for me too.

I think we are on the same page here. My theory as well, but the key point is the 09 tends to flame out easy when touching the rear brake or running at very low RPM. This could have occurred here. A carborated bike, IMO, would be less susceptible to this occurring. This thread was more o a public service announcement and an FYI than anything warning other 09 users to be careful.

Every advanced rider uses the brake tap technique and there are a lot of 09's on the track and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the bike stalling in the air. For that reason, I would assume that it was rider error.

Every advanced rider uses the brake tap technique and there are a lot of 09's on the track and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the bike stalling in the air. For that reason, I would assume that it was rider error.

Done arguing with you. Neither of us know exactly what occured, but his riding partner had raised the issue. My bike stalled when riding out of the blue. Thought I had a problem, but it then started. Do you ride an 09? Have you experienced a flame out?