General MX Setup?

What's the typical bike setup for Motocross. Such as handle bar bend, length, sweep; fork tube height in the clamps; suspension in general; clickers; etc.

I rode a TRUE motocross track today. I feel like I need to experiment with the clickers, which I can do on my own, but is there a general setting such as soft, hard or whatever? Will lowering the fork tubes help in motocross on the long straights and those really rough bumps?

I'm tall so I have bar risers, however I read that for motocross it's best to have a long, straight, low bar. Is this true? Should I remove the bar risers and try a new straighter bend?

Another thing is no-matter how I grip the bars my pinky's cramp so bad that after one lap I have to take a break. Heck, they even started cramping between my truck and the track! I read that bigger grips help so I bought some Pillow Tops thinking it would solve the problem. Well it made it worse. Will skinnier grips help? It's really bad, I can't even get a couple of good laps in before I'm forced to take a break because it hurts so bad. Aren't the Renthal Kevlar's the skinniest? Will these help?

So basically, I'm thinking about:

Lowering forks

Getting a straighter, and slightly longer bar and removing the risers

Get skinny grips

Play with the clickers

But please give your opinion and input, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here goes:

1) The best bar geometry is what fits you and is comfortable. A bar setup for a 6'-4" rider is not the same as one for a 5'-8" rider. In general terms, a low bar is better for corners and a higher bar is better for jumping and obstacles. Just look at how high the bars are for the FMX guys.

2) I would say you want the clickers as soft as you can without excessive bottoming, wallowing or pitching. If you have an MX bike (as opposed to an off-road bike), then start everything in the middle of the range and then experiment both ways from there. What kind of bike and what do you weigh? That has a huge influence on things.

3)Lowering the fork tubes will slow steering, add stability and may cause a push in the middle of corners. What is wrong with the handling on the long straights and rough bumps?

4) I run Renthal kevlar grips and love them, but they are pretty skinny. I also have small hands, so that is not a problem for me. If your hands are cramping you need to grip the bike more with your legs to take some of the load off your hands and arms. And RELAX! It's hard to do, especially if this was your first time on a track, but that is the key ingredient to happy arms and hands. I try to loosen my grip in the air on every jump to let things rest for a second.

Mark

Typical clickers on the forks are 10 on the rebound, 9 on the compression. There are no standard low speed/high speed or rebound settings that i know of.

1) The best bar geometry is what fits you and is comfortable. A bar setup for a 6'-4" rider is not the same as one for a 5'-8" rider. In general terms, a low bar is better for corners and a higher bar is better for jumping and obstacles. Just look at how high the bars are for the FMX guys.

It's just that I read that lower, flatter, and longer will be more suitable for fast and rough mx tracks. One person told me from pictures he's seen of me that I need less swap instead of more height. Wouldn't lower, flatter, longer bars help on the high speed straights and corners?

2) I would say you want the clickers as soft as you can without excessive bottoming, wallowing or pitching. If you have an MX bike (as opposed to an off-road bike), then start everything in the middle of the range and then experiment both ways from there. What kind of bike and what do you weigh? That has a huge influence on things.

01 YZ125; I weight 185lbs without gear.

3)Lowering the fork tubes will slow steering, add stability and may cause a push in the middle of corners. What is wrong with the handling on the long straights and rough bumps?

I just wasn't sure if the bike would be more stable at high speeds and help smooth out the bumps and whoops. The bumps were absolutely killing me Sunday. I can definitely work on my technique but it felt like the suspension was just bouncing off the stuff instead of absorbing it.

4) I run Renthal kevlar grips and love them, but they are pretty skinny. I also have small hands, so that is not a problem for me. If your hands are cramping you need to grip the bike more with your legs to take some of the load off your hands and arms. And RELAX! It's hard to do, especially if this was your first time on a track, but that is the key ingredient to happy arms and hands. I try to loosen my grip in the air on every jump to let things rest for a second.

I mainly ride loose and I tried multiple hand positions, finger positions on the levers, and lever positions. Nothing helped. If I grip any less my hands will get jarred off.

Thanks for the length reply.

Typical clickers on the forks are 10 on the rebound, 9 on the compression. There are no standard low speed/high speed or rebound settings that i know of.

Thanks. I'll play around with them and see how those settings feel.

To be honest there is nothing anyone can tell you other than a good starting point, and thats kinda what a stock bike is. Bar bend, seat hight, peg position, clutch lever, clutch slop, sub frame hight, power curves, suspension settings, foam density, brake feel, steering off sets, and a whole lot more are ALL personal preferances. Thats really what makes a factory bike a factory bike. Everyone thinks that factory bike is just a bike with all these super components that give a bike 60 RWHP and suspension that you could flat land Lorracos Leap with. Thats not the truth. The thing is that those guys are so fast, and have the support of a factory that they get to test everything under the sun and find what works for them. While most of us dont have the money to do these things the best thing you can do is try new things. Ride friends bikes, swap back and forth between parts. I'v heard of factory riders spending 2 straight days at a track testing clutch levers, not perches and set ups, just different bends, and lenghts of levers. What someone mentioned about bars is pretty close, if your tall have a tall bar, short use a short bar. As far as sweep, bend, and all that goes, you'v gotta try em to find out. And since you said that this was your first experience with MX then I'd go out on a limb and say that you just dont have enough experience riding on them yet. That thing you mentioned with getting tierd will improve greatly with just seat time. Just have fun and dont ride over your head, try new things, and keep enjoying it.

To be honest there is nothing anyone can tell you other than a good starting point, and thats kinda what a stock bike is. Bar bend, seat hight, peg position, clutch lever, clutch slop, sub frame hight, power curves, suspension settings, foam density, brake feel, steering off sets, and a whole lot more are ALL personal preferances. Thats really what makes a factory bike a factory bike. Everyone thinks that factory bike is just a bike with all these super components that give a bike 60 RWHP and suspension that you could flat land Lorracos Leap with. Thats not the truth. The thing is that those guys are so fast, and have the support of a factory that they get to test everything under the sun and find what works for them. While most of us dont have the money to do these things the best thing you can do is try new things. Ride friends bikes, swap back and forth between parts. I'v heard of factory riders spending 2 straight days at a track testing clutch levers, not perches and set ups, just different bends, and lenghts of levers. What someone mentioned about bars is pretty close, if your tall have a tall bar, short use a short bar. As far as sweep, bend, and all that goes, you'v gotta try em to find out. And since you said that this was your first experience with MX then I'd go out on a limb and say that you just dont have enough experience riding on them yet. That thing you mentioned with getting tierd will improve greatly with just seat time. Just have fun and dont ride over your head, try new things, and keep enjoying it.

When I said this was my first experience on a true mx tack I meant this was like almost a national caliber track. Heck, they have PRO atv races there still. They used to have PRO mx races but stopped. I have been on many other mx tracks before but none compared to this. I was saying that to kind of mean that this was a very difficult and harsh track that really tested a lot of stuff. Most of the others are no where near as harsh and as fast as this one. I've been riding since June about once a week so I do have experience. I guess me saying that first statement was a little misleading.

I'm thinking the reason my fingers are cramping is because I stopped taking my vitamins because the problem started soon after I stopped taking them. I think I may keep the bar risers but try a low, little sweep, and a bit longer bar. That way I can have what I think will help me, plus the added height from the risers if it turns out I really need it. As far as suspension, I asked somebody very reputable and he gave me a lot of good tips. So thanks for your help everybody. Opinions and all are still welcome.

:thumbsup:

Breman? Or Broome Tioga?

Echeconnee actually lol. They changed it a bit since it used to be a pro track, but it's still pretty nice and hard.

I also had cramping in my hands, I remembered a trick from my hockey playing days and it worked well. take a piece of doweling (little bigger than a broomstick) drill a hole in the center, then pull a piece of rope through it, tie it off. tie a weight (brick works fine)to the other end of the rope. hold your arms out in front of you parrallel to the ground and slowly turn the dowel with your wrist---raising the weight all the way up, then slowly lowering it back down to the ground. this will strengthen your forearms, wrists and hands. will really help with cramping

OK. I may end up trying that, but I think I figured out that it's the sweep and angle I have my bars at that is causing my to hold on the wrong way. I'm hoping that's what is causing it. I'll give your exercise a try though:thumbsup: