revalve or replace? 08 wr250f

I'm a fast b rider and have been having problems with the front forks bottoming.in order to correct this i have added the maximum oil level and have the compression clicker damn near cranked all the way up. the forks have improved them but i can still bottom them out occoasianally and now have some harshness in the initial stroke.I have read some threads that the wr forks are difficult to tune, I was wondering if installing gold valves would make the cartridge style forks much more tuneable or installing newer twin chamber kayaba forks would be better and are interchangable. I only live a few hours from mx tech in bourbannias, I wonder if they have delt with this problem with these cartridge style forks. If anyone has any experiance dealing with this or has any questions please let me know.:thumbsup:

Factory Connection might be a good choice. They do the Team Yamaha Off Road suspension I believe and I am sure they know the hot setup. Might be worth the hassle of mailing it off, prob a decent turn around time. The WR suspension is notoriously soft and I am sure most suspension companies have a good setup to cure the problem.

Done quite a few of these with Gold Valves and a little adjustment to the mid valve and it transforms these forks and they work very well.

may i ask what adjustment to the mid valve you have done to make it work?the reason is i have a local suspension guy that has done work for me before on my honda and did a good job,but i'm not sure if he has any knowledge about changing the current setup of a late model wr fork to tune and work better. thanks for the info about factory connection, i will inquire them about my problem to see if they can help. does anyone else have any input?

Fouraces, your initial thought about contacting Jeremy at MX-Tech is a good idea. You can call around, but if Jeremy is close to you, you can't go wrong taking your suspension to him.

The newer WR's need a major mod to the base valve. They come stock with a blow-off-type valve. Great if you're going slow, but not much use if you're going more than "recreational" speed.

Call MXT. He'll set you up.

I would have thought that DaveJ would have a simple mod to utilise the spring in the BV to work like some of his "blowoff" kits.

I have experimented a little with building a LS stack on top of the orignal shims, this also adds preload to the spring.

I'm a fast b rider and have been having problems with the front forks bottoming.in order to correct this i have added the maximum oil level and have the compression clicker damn near cranked all the way up. the forks have improved them but i can still bottom them out occoasianally and now have some harshness in the initial stroke.I have read some threads that the wr forks are difficult to tune, I was wondering if installing gold valves would make the cartridge style forks much more tuneable or installing newer twin chamber kayaba forks would be better and are interchangable. I only live a few hours from mx tech in bourbannias, I wonder if they have delt with this problem with these cartridge style forks. If anyone has any experiance dealing with this or has any questions please let me know.:thumbsup:

This is actually a very good fork with just a few minor design flaws. I mean... keep in mind that this is not a fork from the factory that is meant to be a heavy hitter. You're obviously riding way beyond the capability of the bike.

Address the blow-off on the base and the mid and you'll have a sweet fork.

A good example of this is some of the work that we did on the YZ open baths.

completeassem2-600x450.jpg

Done quite a few of these with Gold Valves and a little adjustment to the mid valve and it transforms these forks and they work very well.

yea...the gold valves are a good choice and you can also port the current piston if you like. But dangeroo is spot on - just a bit of tweaking and these are great forks. Don't give up on them.

Hey guys, thanks alot for the info.It really helps me understand what the deal really is with these forks. I like the bike other than this particular problem and the input that i have recieved about these forks helped me decide to try and work with the oe forks. I will give jeremy a call at mx-tech to see if he has addressed or has any experiance dealing with these particular forks. davej thanks for the photo,that also helped me see what everyone is talking about. If anyone else has any input i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Hey guys, thanks alot for the info.It really helps me understand what the deal really is with these forks. I like the bike other than this particular problem and the input that i have recieved about these forks helped me decide to try and work with the oe forks. I will give jeremy a call at mx-tech to see if he has addressed or has any experiance dealing with these particular forks. davej thanks for the photo,that also helped me see what everyone is talking about. If anyone else has any input i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

By the way, it turns out the spring on the bottom of the WR is not too soft, but too stiff...and its function is more like a check plate than that of a standard De Carbon set-up. The shims under the piston are all .30mm thick and there is usually about five of them.

The fix that we are testing at the moment converts the check plate design by running a soft spring, and a more conventional shim stack. This allows the shim stack to function towards low and mid speed movements, and to have the spring operate as a high speed blow-off.

On the other end, the mid-valve has a traditional shim stack but it floats too easily and therefore is also more check plate like than what you would expect to see.

For this, we have replaced the standard spring with the same spring that we are using as the primary Dell Taco spring and changing out the bushings and such to correct the proper piston height and blow-off operation.

Should have some more feedback on this earlier in the week. MERYER1SON is testing this on his 07.

thanks for the info,please keep me posted on this if you could. I have one more question about the spring calculator at racetech. for my weigh its telling me to put in a lighter spring on the forks,but my experiance tells me this is wrong.is the calculator accurate? this seems like a common question for the newer wr.

thanks for the info,please keep me posted on this if you could. I have one more question about the spring calculator at racetech. for my weigh its telling me to put in a lighter spring on the forks,but my experiance tells me this is wrong.is the calculator accurate? this seems like a common question for the newer wr.

Depends on your weight and what your plans are for the bike.

Let me know that and I (we) can better advise on what to do.

I race harescrambles in illinios and am a b level rider. the terrian is usually rooty and rutted with alot of square edges.I weigh 175lbs without gear and about 185-190lbs with gear. some of the races i go to use a motocross track in the course sometimes,but i rarely ride a motocross. for the most part the courses are farely fast. I was thinking about stepping up to the next size spring for the forks which i believe is a .46. anyones opinion is appreciated.

If the US models have a .44 fork spring I would use that for your weight and if they have the 5.3 shock spring like they have here I would drop the rear to a 5.0

I have a 78kg rider (same weight as you) and he uses the bike for off road and MX with this setup (the forks are gold valved) and the bike works very well for him.

Every WR shock I've pulled apart has had a heap of air inside it. You can even hear the oil sloshing around inside the shock before you strip it if you give it a good shake. This could be why they feel soft (to me) even with a stiff spring and a straight stack.

The riders who complain of the rear being harsh might have a bit less air in their shocks? A bit of staging in the stack would probably improve things with a good shock bleed.

hey dave i am running your fork oil in the forks on my 07wr450 and it made a big improvement but i am ready for more so let us wr guys know when you get something to try im ready.

dave j, I have read another thread about a revalve you have done for someone else. I have one more race this weekend then after the first of the year i will be contacting you about revalving my forks and shock. I have come to the conclusion that if you plan on racing a wr and you are an aggressive rider you have to revalve,no way really around it.I love the bike other than that.Its kinda funny, I was riding a 03 cr250 and the suspension was awsome,enzo subtanks and revalve with gold valves. everyone who rode it loved the suspension. but the engine sucked and tried everything to get more low end power. finally gave up and purchased my current ride,08 wr250f. I love the power but cannot get along with the suspension, how ironic