My Sunday project

Was bored after watching football so I figured I would se if I could fab up frame guards for my KX. I got the left side done took about 45 minutes. I rolled a couple beads in it with my bead roller to stiffen it up some. Im going to attach using some existing hardware for the chain roller and the lower existing attach screw. Tell me what you think. I may powder coat it black or just leave as is. Also thinking about using it as a mold to make them from carbon fiber.

guard-1.jpg

guard-2.jpg

guard-3.jpg

guard-4.jpg

Very nice!!!

Thanks Ill post more pics when I get it installed and the right side fabbed. I think my next project is going to be radiator guards or a skid plate for the 250

Thanks Ill post more pics when I get it installed and the right side fabbed. I think my next project is going to be radiator guards or a skid plate for the 250

First thought after I saw the guards was......he should make a skid plate.

Yeah I would have done that first but I want to see if todd has a frame that I could borrow to mock it up. It would be easier if I could flip the frame upside down on the bench and work on it like that.

Yeah I would have done that first but I want to see if todd has a frame that I could borrow to mock it up. It would be easier if I could flip the frame upside down on the bench and work on it like that.

Just get some pulleys and some rope :thumbsup:

funny you should say that I was up in the attic looking at how I could reinforce the beams to hoist my bike up to work on it. I think Ill just build a lift table instead.

Todd probably has a spare frame in his attic of that vintage actually. Check with him.

Yeah I was at his house picking up a sprocket and I saw a few I just have to ask him. Anyone want anything fabbed for their bikes let me know. Now that Im working nights I am going to get my garage organized and my tig hooked up and do some projects, including finishing my resto on my 72 DT250

I was thinking of getting some clutch and stator covers made of that smae material that would slightly mimic the shape of the lower half of the cover and use the covers own bolts (longer off course) to mount up. I just want a little more protection from popping a bent brake or shift lever through the covers in event of a crash

Yeah what you could do in that case is get a longer bolt and put a spacer between the cover and guard to make a stand off. what bike do you have Ill see if I can fab something up. I used 6061 aluminum for my guards and I am going to either powdercoat or spray with a bedliner type paint.

Something like this. I made this this morning

guard-6.jpg

guard-5.jpg

Sweet stuff Joe! I got a frame for sure you can borrow.

Sweet stuff Joe! I got a frame for sure you can borrow.

Problem comes from strikes from underneath.

I made some case hoops on one of my KX/KDX hybrids. This way going over a rock or ledge does not knock a hole in the covers. I put a bash plate between the 2 frame rails to protect thee motor annd relied on the frame hops to protect the motor. You could cover those with aluminum with a full length cover as well from underneath.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=58959

Joe you up for speedworld this week at night?

I like the case hoop Idea I may do that when I pull the 250 apart to powdercoat the frame. I am also going to make a wrap around skid plate. I cant do any riding at night during the week due to my work schedule change :thumbsup:

Here is the pretty much finished left side frame guards just need to spray bedliner on and get black screws.

guard-8.jpg

guard-7.jpg

Looks Awsome Joe!

Dang that bike looks like it was never ridden!