Installing new rear spring?

Hey guys,

So I finally ordered the correct spring for my weight from MX tech, and was just wondering if it is possible to install it myself, or will I have to take it to a shop. Im thinking it wont be too difficult, I just dont want to have it torn down and have to then take it in because I cant do it.

Any help/advice appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Its not difficult at all. remove the tension from the spring. Do this by unscrewing the two locks on TOP of the spring.

Once you have these loose, you'll be able to move the lower spring retainer up. Its in two pieces and will slide off of the shock shaft.

People make the mistake of trying to unscrew the lower shock clevis. This is bad! Dont do it. Once you see the diagram of a shock, no problem. This diagram is for the 450, but the shock is the same.

http://oem.thumpertalk.com/2007YZ450Frearsuspension.aspx

Ah I see. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure i didnt need any special tools or anything. So I just need to unscrew the two rings that hold the tension on the spring, and that will allow me to take off the bottom retainer, thus being able to remove the spring?

Thanks RCannon!

Grease your swingarm bearings and all of your shock linkage bearings while you are at it.

Its not difficult at all. remove the tension from the spring. Do this by unscrewing the two locks on TOP of the spring.

I've used a rubber mallet and screwdriver in an attempt to loosen the lock collars to adjust race sag. No dice. What's another method instead?

The rings are tough if they get corroded. I would soak them overnight with wd 40. I have done it before without being able to loosen them, but it takes a HEAVY duty spring compressor. Even then its sort of a waste as you have no provisions for setting spring preload once the new spring is in place.

I did it the other day. Start to finish in

just over a hour. Fork springs in the

morning to finish the job. First time

for both.

I did it the other day. Start to finish in

just over a hour. Fork springs in the

morning to finish the job. First time

for both.

Any special tools or tips (besides PB Blaster or WD) to get those lock collars off?

I've used a rubber mallet and screwdriver in an attempt to loosen the lock collars to adjust race sag. No dice. What's another method instead?

If you can loosen the top ring, you can then just turn the spring by hand, the collar that rests on the spring will turn with it.

A shot of WD helped and push down on the rubber stopper

with some channel locks. Was very easy to do.

Hey, "guy formerly known as Shrub", they do make tools designed to fit these pre-load rings. I have a few; last one I bought was a KTM tool. Of course, none of them fit in with the bike fully assembled, like when you want to adjust your sag.

Use a metal hammer and a punch (or drift,) to knock the top, lock ring loose. Your rubber hammer does not give it enough 'shock' to break any minor corrosion and turn the lock ring (smaller diameter one,) loose from the main preload ring.

I use anti-seize on the threads and ring contact surfaces to make it easier next time.

Better yet, get one of these from Enzo Racing, for $35.00 : http://www.enzoracing.com/preload-ring_install.html

It makes setting your sag a 1 to 2 minute job. Well worth the $, IMHO.

Better yet, get one of these from Enzo Racing, for $35.00 : http://www.enzoracing.com/preload-ring_install.html

It makes setting your sag a 1 to 2 minute job. Well worth the $, IMHO.

Good link but I went back further on their website and found this:

ENZO TECHNICA PRELOAD RING

The ENZO TECHNICA Ring is designed to provide an easy, efficient method of securing the spring preload adjustment on the rear shock. The stock method of using a spring seat ring and lock ring tightened against each other requires the use of a hammer and punch to secure the adjustment setting. On some bikes, there is not much room to access the rings, and often the threads on the shock body become damaged from hitting them with the punch. With the ENZO TECHNICA PRELOAD RING the lock ring is eliminated, and the spring seat ring is secured by lining up the notches with a "tooth" on the preload ring. The ENZO TECHNICA PRELOAD RING is secured to the reservoir by a hex pinch bolt. Any preload adjustments can be made by loosening the hex pinch bolt, sliding the preload ring out of the notch on the spring seat ring, then turning the spring preload in the desired direction. Then the preload ring is slid back into place and tightened. The ENZO TECHNICA PRELOAD RING is available for 2006 and later models of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

So, which leads me to ask - isn't race sag a set it and forget setting if you don't go up or down in weight yourself?