electrical diagram crf230f

Asking for help because in don't know much about electrical stuff, heres my situation;

The bike is like new 2004 with under 10 - 15 hours on it.

Didn't ride it for a season and the battery went dead.

Went and bought a new battery bike ran and I took it out for the day.

2 weeks later went to start the bike, wouldn't start so I charged the battery and it started then I turned it off.

Went to start it again immediatly after I turned if and would start, checked the battery and it was good.

I replaced the main fuse and still nothing.

I bought a new starter relay, still nothing.

checked the kill switch and clutch switch and still nothing.

Any help would be great, don't no what to try next??

You need to get a test light or a meter and trace the 12V through the system to see where you are losing it. I don't have an electrical diagram, or I could give you a step by step. One quick test would be to jump the batter + directly to the starter connection to see if the starter is OK. It should turn over and possibly even start. This only tells you one thing though, whether the starter is working or not. Could be a bad connection anywhere, you just need to find it. Hope this helps.

Josh

Thanks, I did do that and the starter turned over.

The easiest thing to check then would be the start switch. Make sure that it is closing when you push it by checking OHMS across the two wires. Could be as simple as a bad start switch. Hope this helps.

Josh

When you did the thing to turn the starter over did it run? Did it sound like it wanted to run? Check for spark by taking the plug out and resting the threads on a bare metal ground. try turning it over and see if it has spark. If it does put the plug in and try starting it a few more times. If it wont fire clean the carbs and try again. If it still wont start im stumped.

do what Dylan said and check for a spark. check to see how much compression it has. Try bump starting it as well if it starts up this way then it is definitely an electrical problem and not a fuel or air problem.

How about a little clarification here. Does it turn over normally? If so, tell us in as much detail what is happening when you push the start button. I was under the impression that it would not even turn over. If it turns over then you are chasing the wrong tail with the start button and jumping to the starter. As stated above, try to bump (push) start it and see what happens. Let us know, and we will help you get this beast running again.

Josh

I have found the problem its the ignition switch. Has anyone bypassed the ignition switch? it would be nice not to use a key to turn it on.

Thanks for everyones input its very appreciated.

hold on. are you telling me the bike didnt start because you didnt turn on the key?

hold on. are you telling me the bike didnt start because you didnt turn on the key?

NO....I would never be able to return to this forum if that was the case :thumbsup: . The ignition is defective (and so soon too). I want to get rid of ther ignition switch but not sure if that would drain the battery by doing so?

I doubt it would drain the battery if you bypass the switch. My first question would be what is going through the switch? I assume it serves two purposes, kill switch and ignition enable. If these are the only two functions then you could remove the switch, and splice the ignition wires together. DO NOT SPLICE THE KILL WIRES together or you will never get the bike to start. Your best bet would be to put an Ammeter in line with the battery to see if it starts drawing current whith the ignition switch bypassed. If you could provide me with an electrical drawing for the 04 CRF230 I could tell you exactly what to do. Hope this helps.

Josh

I doubt it would drain the battery if you bypass the switch. My first question would be what is going through the switch? I assume it serves two purposes, kill switch and ignition enable. If these are the only two functions then you could remove the switch, and splice the ignition wires together. DO NOT SPLICE THE KILL WIRES together or you will never get the bike to start. Your best bet would be to put an Ammeter in line with the battery to see if it starts drawing current whith the ignition switch bypassed. If you could provide me with an electrical drawing for the 04 CRF230 I could tell you exactly what to do. Hope this helps.

Josh

Great thanks Josh here it is let me know, I'm not good at electrical:bonk: thankyou

crf230f.jpg

It looks to me like you need to jump the black and red wires on the ignition switch together and separate the black wire with white stripe from the green one. To test this, unplug the ignition switch and connect the red and solid black wires together using a jumper wire, then try the starter switch. If it works then you can jump these two wires together permanently and leave the connector unplugged. Wrap the whole works tightly with electrical tape to keep water out and enjoy your ride.

I may be able to make it a little more clear even. If you look at the right side of this drawing, you will notice a legend of how each switch works in on and off situations. You will notice that when the ignition switch is on, the batt1 and batt2 wires are connected together and the E and IG wires are open or disconnected. This is the condition we want to get the connections into in order to be able to use the starter button. I don't see any reason that this would cause any drain on the battery, you should be good to go here, but be aware that you are losing the security of having to have the key to run the bike. I would try to make the ignition switch look like it is still in use so that it is not obvious that you no longer use the key. Let me know how it turns out, hope this helps.

Josh

Got it done, thanks for the help I'm starting to understand it more as I work with it. I left the ignition in so it looks correct I also pulled power between the bl and red to a fuse then a switch for a headlight. Kicks butt thanks!

No problem, always glad to help. Just a suggestion though, I would rather see you pull your headlight power directly from the battery. The only reason I say that is because as you have it set up right now you are going to be pulling the light current through the starter relay. This in my opinion is causing an undue strain on the relay and could cause it to fail prematurely. I would wire the light as you have only move the black wire to the negative terminal on the battery and the red wire to the positive terminal. Keeping the fuse in place. The way you have it wired now will work fine, but If it were mine I would try to move the power and ground off of the starter relay. Keep it dirty side down!!

Josh

Good idea, I have the light grounded to the front of the frame, do I need to relocate to the neg. on the battery or can I leave the ground where it is?

The frame ground will be fine, just relocate the + and you will be good to go.