Where to ride in Arizona

A little help please. I'm from PA and hauling some MX bikes out for Day in the Dirt over Thanksgiving. On the way back I'd like to find an area to camp and ride out of for a week or 2. Prefer a campground rather than to dry camp. I'm thinking any where between Tuscon or Phoenix. I am tagged so a short ride to trails would be ok. All info would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

Hey, somebody from my neck of the woods, so to speak! I grew up in Jersey. My mom lives in PA.

I'm afraid I'm not much good to you with regard to riding spots between Phoenix and Tucson, because I'm up in Flagstaff. Still, I wish you an awesome ride while you're here in AZ.

Thanks anyway. I figured to stay south due to temp. I hope to find some good stuff for a winter trip next year where I haul a bunch of bikes out and the riders fly in. I do this to Colorado now in the summer but need a winter get-away too.....Chuck

I grew up in PA also, welcome to AZ! There are plenty of spots between Tucson and Phoenix to camp/ride Im sure some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in soon.

There are a few nice places to ride near Saguaro Lake near Mesa, Az. Unfortunatley, there aren't so many campgrounds in the area. It would definitely be a nice stop for a day or two though.

Saguaro lake has an overflow parking lot about 1/2 mile up the road from it, it's a pretty popular place to ride, nice trails ranging from dirt road width to single track, and plenty of washes.

There are a few nice places to ride near Saguaro Lake near Mesa, Az. Unfortunatley, there aren't so many campgrounds in the area. It would definitely be a nice stop for a day or two though.

Saguaro lake has an overflow parking lot about 1/2 mile up the road from it, it's a pretty popular place to ride, nice trails ranging from dirt road width to single track, and plenty of washes.

You could camp in the 4 Peaks area also or on the Sycamore side. Tons of places to camp out there.

I'll check them out!....I'll be hitting the road this saturday and am unsure where I'll be able to get wifi. I appreciate the tips and keep them coming. I'll get hooked up somewhere. If anyone spots a big old Greyhound bus in flat black and stainless towing an H2, stop in and say hi. I might have Jared Stoner with me after Day in the Dirt. He's one of the great new up and coming GNCC and Enduro riders here in the east. If your around come ride with us.....or should I say him because I'll be in his dust.......Chuck

Another question....are there any good maps showing where you can ride? I was looking at the KOA at Black Canyon where they say you can ride right out of there, but is the riding any good there?

Another question....are there any good maps showing where you can ride? I was looking at the KOA at Black Canyon where they say you can ride right out of there, but is the riding any good there?

If you don't mind "dry camping", head about 10-20 miles farther south on the I-17, and exit on Carefree HWY. Take "Care Free HWY" head west approx 20 miles and go to the "Boulders OHV" staging area. This is where we held the AMA National Endruo last month.

The Mile markers count backwords as you are heading west from the I-17, so you will start at approx MM30-ish.

Care Free HWY actually turns into HWY 74 about half way out. When you get to Mile marker 12, start to slow down, then turn onto the dirt road with is MM11.5. There is a sign just as you pull off HWY 74. proced in 1 mile, the staging area is a 26 acre lot, with a pipe fenced. They is a restroom, but no running water or trash service. There is a huge map in the center of the staging area that shows some general trails. There is a ton of single track out there, prob best in the state other than up north in the mountains around flagstaff.

Here is a link to the Boulders OHV area. The pics do not show the single track, but there is some great stuff out there.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/arizona_06482/ride_9984.htm

I will prob be riding out there on Wensday, 11/26 and saturday, 11/29 ( posiblily friday morning 11/28, but only for a few hours in the morning if so.

Give me a call if you want a guide. I will not have web access again till sunday night. I'm a mid to lower pack 40+B rider, but do know the area very well. Have a great time!

Phil,

cell 602-505-2062

I'll echo Phills comments. Additionally if you can get internet when you get here post up and rides will pop out of the woodwork.

Now thats what I was looking for! What a great site....can't believe I never found it before! Thankyou Phil and that will inspire me to hook this computer up somehow to get internet on the road. I won't be out there that weekend when you're there Phil. I expect to be in that area about mid week after thanksgiving and I have no place I have to be after that for awhile. Thanks again guys and here is my cell if your out for a ride....717-475-0427

Now thats what I was looking for! What a great site....can't believe I never found it before! Thankyou Phil and that will inspire me to hook this computer up somehow to get internet on the road. I won't be out there that weekend when you're there Phil. I expect to be in that area about mid week after thanksgiving and I have no place I have to be after that for awhile. Thanks again guys and here is my cell if your out for a ride....717-475-0427

I have the week off work after T-day,(Monday Dec 1st thur the 5th)

So I'll be good to ride just about any day that week. Just need a day notice. My home PC is broke, (Santa to score for me come Christmas) so I will not have access after this friday. You can call my cell. I'll write yours down, and we'll see if we can get a ride in.

Phil, 602-505-2062