2008 Scenes from Northern Arizona / Riding season wrap up

Flagstaff had its first snow last week, which says to me that the riding season here in the northland is coming to a close, unless we have one of those generally snowless winters. If its anything like last winter, though, it’ll be a long, cold winter with Forest roads closed well into the spring. :ride:

So, I thought it would be an appropriate time to post up some photos from my rides in Northern Arizona this year, and encourage everybody to post their favorites here, too. I tried to include at least my bike or my helmet to represent me in every photo, thus making them “riding pictures” rather than just “pictures”. Since my busy life kept me from joining any planned rides with my fellow TTers, I don’t have any good action shots or even shots with me in the photo. Sad, I know. :moon:

A few of my more profound observations from my rides this year…

1) Regardless of my passion for dirt riding, having two small kids and a busy wife puts a hell of a damper on any effort to ride regularly.

2) I really need to work out.

3) Northern Arizona is beautiful, and there’s nothing like getting to those perfect secluded spots on your dirtbike.

4) Riding in a hailstorm really blows.

5) If a man’s dirtbike is a representation of himself, then it would appear that I’m a little heavy, kinda ugly, and really starting to show my age.

In response to observation #5, I’ve resolved to shake off the neglect of the bike’s previous owner, and myself to date, and give my bike a bit of a makeover this winter. That way, perhaps, next year I’ll look at least slightly cooler than I actually am. (I’ll post before and after pics in another thread after the project is complete.) Yeah, it’ll be the same bike, but at least you won’t recognize it as the hideous result of excessive use and ongoing cosmetic neglect that it is now. :thumbsup:

So, here are some of my favorite photos from this year.

Kendrick Peak across a field. This was taken off of some minor forest road northwest of Flagstaff.

0002.jpg

Looking north from Hayfield Draw OHV area near Cottonwood.

0005.jpg

The San Francisco Peaks from the top of Mount Elden. The "top" of Mt. Elden is substantially larger than you'd think. If you haven't been up there, I recommend it for some great views.

0013.jpg

A meadow near the top of Mount Elden.

0006.jpg

The east side of Flagstaff (Doney Park and Cinder Hills OHV) from the top of Mt. Elden. Again, killer views, although you technically can't ride to this spot because it's along a pedestrian trail.

0008.jpg

Flagstaff from the top of Mt. Elden.

0014.jpg

The San Franciscos again... from somewhere northwest of town.

0428081450.jpg

Looking up $100 Hill and Cinder Hills OHV.

PHTO0006a.jpg

Pipeline ride in the cinders!

PHTO0009.jpg

Anybody else have some great Northern AZ riding pics to share? Or just your favorites from 2008, for that matter? Post 'em here! Although the itch to ride will certainly take most of us south during the cold months, here's to looking forward to 2009 after we thaw out! :moon:

Nice pictures! This picture is actually play hill IIRC and not $100 hill.

The only pictures I have of recently.

The snowplay area out off of 222B

IMG_1365.jpg

These were taken last tuesday, my friend (on the Husaberg) and I used the snow to have an awesome up on the peaks.

Picture078.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Nice pictures! This picture is actually play hill IIRC and not $100 hill.

Oops. My apologies. Guess I don't know my cinder hills like I should. :moon:

Great pictures! :moon: I believe I've flown my pig, however ungracefully, over that same jump on occassion. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to take a picture of myself while doing it, yet. :thumbsup:

Bet the snow was fun, too.

Hey BacKinaction I think you bike looks pretty cool as is. Maybe a 20 footer at this point but with a little work will look great? Good luck this winter with the project keep us informed.

Hey BacKinaction I think you bike looks pretty cool as is. Maybe a 20 footer at this point but with a little work will look great? Good luck this winter with the project keep us informed.

Hey, thanks. I'll take the compliment! I'm hoping to turn it from a 20-footer to maybe a 5 to 10-footer. :thumbsup: Nothing a little TLC won't fix. Will post a thread on it when I'm done. :moon:

Great trail around my mountains, keep up the fight to keep it open!

DSC02074.jpg

YD3.jpg

YD.jpg

105_0772.jpg

YD21.jpg

P6294115.jpg

cinders005.jpg

771.jpg016.jpg

one of my bike on mingus moutain, the other around sedona

Great pictures on here, guys! Makes me wish I'd been on some of these rides.

Anybody else got some good ones?

Nice pictures!!

Thanks for sharing.

Wheres that deck at??

picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=810

Wheres that deck at??

You mean the wooden deck in post #7 by Hi_I'm_Sean?? I'd like to know, too. Looks pretty cool.

Nice pic above, by the way. Where's that air taken?

That's out by 222, the same picture I posted of me jumping on my KX.

Which by the way... that jump is DESTROYED! That whole track was literally plowed down, you can see where they took the bulldozer and just followed the track to take it down. :bonk: You have no idea how maddening it is to me. It's an OHV area! gahh

The deck is on top of Union mountain in the Prescott National Forest. I don’t believe we are supposed to be up there motorized but the signage is poor.

Its the prize at the end of Yankee Doodle.

That's out by 222, the same picture I posted of me jumping on my KX.

Which by the way... that jump is DESTROYED! That whole track was literally plowed down, you can see where they took the bulldozer and just followed the track to take it down. :bonk: You have no idea how maddening it is to me. It's an OHV area! gahh

You're kidding, right?? That's an outrage!! :bonk: There are so few of those fun little "play" areas around here to begin with... why'd they go and tear it up? If only more people in the world would just try riding dirtbikes... they'd all fall in love with it and think that all of us riders are just the coolest. :bonk: Plus, I think more people would recognize fun riding spots when they see them. Maybe if he was a fellow rider, that bulldozer driver would have told his boss, "No way man!! I'm not mowin' down that track, man! Screw you, man!" :bonk: and then he'd have layed down in front of the dozer. Ok... maybe that's a little overdramatic, but you get the idea. :bonk:

Anyway, at least it's preserved in good action shots like the few posted here. :bonk:

Isnt that whole area around wing mtn closed to OHV's now?? ..... or is it just no more "cross country travel" (and I bet that track area is concidered cross-country)

I've done Yankee abunch of times and have never seen that deck....... bummer

Wing mtn is still open, that'll change in September of next year though. The actual cinder pit area is an OHV area that is controlled by a concessionary during the winter months. The maddening part is that after 3 years of doing this, this is the first time he's gone and destroyed the track for no purpose. You can't sled on it and it's not suitable for parking either. I think they just wanted to be asswipes about it. :bonk:

Wing mtn is still open, that'll change in September of next year though. (

When you say "Wing Mt. is still open", do you mean the ST? Or is there some other designated OHV area over there that I'm not aware of that will be closed down? Other than the ST, I thought Wing Mt. was as open as anywhere else on the forest to riding... of course subject to the "existing trail" (no cross-country) and posted sign rules that you see everywhere.

I was talking about the TMR that starts september '09 where all non-system trails are closed down. Wing Mtn. isn't a system trail so it will be closed for riding (I'm talking the singletrack loop). During the winter Wing gets closed though because all the roads accessing it are closed down.

Yeah, that's gonna be bummin'. I'm sure we'll lose access to tons of great trails that I haven't even gotten to ride yet.

As for winter, yeah, pretty much everything in the forest becomes off limits once the snow hits. I know the snow is good for the forest, the economy, and the water supply, but it sure does make for a long spring when you're waiting for the roads to open up again. Ugh!