Sign in to follow this  

SBNF 11-13-08 Ride Report (Pics/Vids)

This past Thursday I met up with Walt (9Lives), Jr (Turf Tamer), Colin (Gibbons_c), and Gary (Palmer84one) for a ride in SBNF. We met at 7:30 at the McDonalds at the 138/15. Everyone arrived on time and we drove up the 138 to the 173 and turned off and parked at the Silverwood dam. The plan was to ride the 69 delight ride:ride:

Once we unloaded and got geared up we headed off to 2n17x. Walt calls this his squid filter:smirk: Not too far into that trail comes a pretty steep climb. Their is a switch back that's easier you can take though. They blocked off 2 of the 3 climbs so you only have 1 choice or you can take the switch back. Once we get to it Jr just goes up it like its an ant hill:lol: Colin was next, he almost makes it, but once he gets close to the top the step up area gets him. Truth be told the sun was in his face since it was early, but Jr didn't have any problems:p The rest of us decided to go around. I have never ridden any of this so I didn't want to hill climb while being blind. Jr comes back down and goes back up it again, just to rub it in:smirk: I don't think he cares if he can see where he is going, just pull the trigger and work it out as it unfolds:lol: Ah, what it was like to be young:) Jr for sure has some skills on that 300 though:thumbsup:

I have some video of 2n17x below. It shows the climb and the trail up to the fire road. Its really a pretty fun little trail :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEsg9q0C1VI

From the top of that trail we head up the fire road to 3w11. Walt had to fix a clutch issue. He was getting some fade and had to pump it to keep the pressure up. Sounded like maybe some air trapped in the system. Either way we were already hearing the KTM jokes in the staging area so for sure I was going to need a pic of him already fixing the Husky:p

IMG_1365.jpg

Waiting for Walt at the beginning of the 3w11 trail.

IMG_1367.jpg

3w11

IMG_1366.jpg

Can see some of the trail up the hill

IMG_1368.jpg

So after Walt's ready to go we head off up the trail. We split off some here and there so not exactly sure if this video is 3w11, but its close to it or just past it if not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCcGl9f8hQ

Once we get to the end of this trail where the video stops Gary catches up and says the Husky is down with a wheel bearing issue. We head back down the trail a bit and sure enough, that rear wheel was really in there side ways. Now correct me if I am wrong Walt, but thats not normal for a Husky is it:lol: He claims Jr's KTM got to close and jinxed it or something. Cameras were coming out at this point! Post up those pics Walt! Since we were not buying the KTM jinxed story, he brings out this old story about another bike mating with his in the past and that probably led to the failure:moon: Can't recall the whole story, but I think I read about it a ways back.

Without a doubt Walt's day is done as the bearings came out in pieces. Flipping the wheel spacer around got him going again, but metal on metal would only get him so far. He still rode pretty fast with that bike in that condition. We pulled over to rest the bike since the spacer was probably about to melt. Walt and Jr took off back to the staging from there and Colin, Gary and I decided to continue on with the ride. Since we lost our leader we changed up the route a bit. We headed towards Devil's Hole from there. We passed some volunteers on quads, they waved and seemed pretty cool. They were the first riders we have seen at this point.

Once we got to Devil's Hole it was time to eat some food. We were the only ones there, which is a first for me. Being a weekday we had it all to our selves:thumbsup: It definelty was bit deeper corssing it then in the past month or so. Maybe another 6 inches deep or so.

Some pics from Devil's Hole

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

more to come....

• Like 1

So we all make it through the crossing. I did take on some water in my boot as I stalled some how. Not supposed to stall with a Rekluse, but it happens here and there. So wet sock and all we get ready to ride some single track on 2w01. This will be the first time going this direction for me. We decided to go this way so that Gary would get to do Malcom the easier way for his first time and Colin and I had not done it in the reverse direction yet either.

Here is some video of 2w01. Pay attention at the beginning as Colin will take a dirt nap right away:lol: I think that boulder jumped right out in front of him:smirk: I was there to catch it on film of course:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8QKd8NCRlo

After 2w01 we just rode 3n14 over to Malcom Smith. Nothing too exciting but fire road. Once we got to Malcom we rested for a few and prepared by telling Gary Good Luck:thumbsup: :ride: Its only 7 miles and we told him just get past the steep, loose, rocky first hill and he is home free:smirk: After that he would only need to face, steep cliffs and boulders:lol:

Well, Colin and I cleared the first hill. We both had a couple trouble spots and getting going after stopping on it is a pain, but easy none the less. I get to the top and Colin must have continued on a bit. I waited for Gary. I could hear the constant stopping and restarting of his motor:lol: Must have been 10-15 minutes and some yelling I couldn't quite make out, at least 10-15 restarts using the e-button and he finally comes around the corner. At this point I am almost enjoying his pain:devil: :ride:

Here are some pics of him at this point.

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

He gets to me with one less rear blinker though:lol: I told him great job, you only have 6.9 miles to go:smirk:

So Malcom honestly is really easy going this way. I don't have any pics as we mostly just blew through it all. Once we got down to the creek at the bottom we rested some more.

Some video of me following Colin out of Malcom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieC1A_MRF7A

With daylight running out fast we had to book it back to our trucks. We ended up seeing 3 other riders on the way back. The first dirt bikes all day. We ended the day with about 70 miles logged into our GPS's. Another great ride. Bummer about Walt's bike and losing him and Jr on the rest of the ride. Once that bike is up and running again we will have to give it another go:thumbsup:

I did plan 2 days of riding and I continued up to my cabin in Big Bear for my Friday ride with LTK300 and Gassyphil. We rode about 50 miles on Friday all in Big Bear. Nothing to exciting though. All fire roads to be honest :thumbsup:

So about 120 miles in 2 days and some great riding :moon: It was great meeting you Walt and Jr. LT and Phil it was really cool to ride Big Bear with you as well :moon:

Its looking like I may plan another ride either the first or second week of Dec. up in BB. With Turkey day coming and all its probably the first time I can get up there again. Hopefully the snow stays away, but some rain would be nice. It was a bit dusty, less then usual though.

This past Thursday I met up with Walt (9Lives), Jr (Turf Tamer), Colin (Gibbons_c), and Gary (Palmer84one) for a ride in SBNF. We met at 7:30 at the McDonalds at the 138/15. Everyone arrived on time and we drove up the 138 to the 173 and turned off and parked at the Silverwood dam. The plan was to ride the 69 delight ride:ride:

Once we get to the end of this trail where the video stops Gary catches up and says the Husky is down with a wheel bearing issue. We head back down the trail a bit and sure enough, that rear wheel was really in there side ways. Now correct me if I am wrong Walt, but thats not normal for a Husky is it:lol: He claims Jr's KTM got to close and jinxed it or something. Cameras were coming out at this point! Post up those pics Walt! Since we were not buying the KTM jinxed story, he brings out this old story about another bike mating with his in the past and that probably led to the failure:moon: Can't recall the whole story, but I think I read about it a ways back.

Without a doubt Walt's day is done as the bearings came out in pieces. Flipping the wheel spacer around got him going again, but metal on metal would only get him so far. He still rode pretty fast with that bike in that condition. We pulled over to rest the bike since the spacer was probably about to melt. Walt and Jr took off back to the staging from there and Colin, Gary and I decided to continue on with the ride. Since we lost our leader we changed up the route a bit. We headed towards Devil's Hole from there. We passed some volunteers on quads, they waved and seemed pretty cool. They were the first riders we have seen at this point.

Once we got to Devil's Hole it was time to eat some food. We were the only ones there, which is a first for me. Being a weekday we had it all to our selves:thumbsup: It definelty was bit deeper corssing it then in the past month or so. Maybe another 6 inches deep or so.

Some pics from Devil's Hole

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

more to come....

Nice so far...

Yeah, Walts Husky and Bellac's (Craig) Honda were definatley a "no on 8" vote on the Malcolm Smith trail.:thumbsup:

Hey Walt, still can't make it up that hilclimb:moon:

Nice so far...

Yeah, Walts Husky and Bellac's (Craig) Honda were definatley a "no on 8" vote on the Malcolm Smith trail.:thumbsup:

Hey Walt, still can't make it up that hilclimb:moon:

:moon: :moon: :ride:

Yeah, that was the story I was referring to:smirk:

Those trails look awesome, good ride report.

I will definitely be on those trial some time next month.

Hey do you have an online map of that place by any chance???

Those trails look awesome, good ride report.

I will definitely be on those trial some time next month.

Hey do you have an online map of that place by any chance???

I do, you can find them here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/ohvmap_silverwood_bigpines.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/ohvmap_bigpine_cactusflats.pdf

I did plan 2 days of riding and I continued up to my cabin in Big Bear for my Friday ride with LTK300 and Gassyphil. We rode about 50 miles on Friday all in Big Bear. Nothing to exciting though. All fire roads to be honest :moon:

So about 120 miles in 2 days and some great riding :ride: It was great meeting you Walt and Jr. LT and Phil it was really cool to ride Big Bear with you as well :moon:

Its looking like I may plan another ride either the first or second week of Dec. up in BB. With Turkey day coming and all its probably the first time I can get up there again. Hopefully the snow stays away, but some rain would be nice. It was a bit dusty, less then usual though.

Yeah, ride reports on them there fire roads just aren't the same.:thumbsup:

That sounds fun and all, but....

*** kind of squid filter is it if squids can just go right around it??

NICE! coming through with da goods. haha. alright thanks!

hey btw you guys look like you have a good pace, hope to see you on the trials soon.

Yeah, ride reports on them there fire roads just aren't the same.:thumbsup:

I have no idea what your talking about :moon:

That sounds fun and all, but....

*** kind of squid filter is it if squids can just go right around it??

Well, even the switch back is a little bit steep to a squid. Eventually on any of our rides anyone not worthy will get weeded out:smirk: I just hope its not me first:banana:

I have no idea what your talking about :p

Well, even the switch back is a little bit steep to a squid. Eventually on any of our rides anyone not worthy will get weeded out:smirk: I just hope its not me first:banana:

Me neither.:moon:

I have yet to see Walt make it up that hill the "correct" way.:moon: That little step-up at the end is a real kick-in-the-a$$. Jr doing it twice:blah: :ride: :ride: :thumbsup:

Way to go Gary - Got to represent for team Husky! :thumbsup:

I was there when Craig's Honda attacked Walt's Husky. Nailed him right in the wheel bearing too - I saw him do it! It only lasted this long due to the supremacy of all things Husky! A KTM would have never survived the fracas.

Nice report. I didn't know Malcom Smith had "an easy way" :moon:

Nice report. I didn't know Malcom Smith had "an easy way" :thumbsup:

I guess if you approach the trail from the Big Pines campground, then with the exception of the first big, loose, uphill climb, the rest of the "hard sections" are downhill, making for an easier ride.

Another great ride report! :thumbsup: Were are the gps maps of those fast and furious fireroads we rode on friday! :moon:

Once we get to it Jr just goes up it like its an ant hill:lol: Colin was next, he almost makes it, but once he gets close to the top the step up area gets him. Truth be told the sun was in his face since it was early, but Jr didn't have any problems:p The rest of us decided to go around. I have never ridden any of this so I didn't want to hill climb while being blind.

Nice ride report Greg! And as always, it was a pleasure riding w/ you and Gary. Walt and Jr, it was also a pleasure meeting and riding w/ you guys. :thumbsup:

That hill on 2n17x sucked w/ the sun… I’ve made that hill countless times, even the harder one on the left that’s now blocked off. Usually I’m not going up it that early though, and the sun truly was right in my eyes… I wasn’t comfortable not being able to see so I slowed down a bit, went to downshift and hit neutral and that was all she wrote. :moon: Just to prove I can make it… :ride: here’s a video of me clearing it on my 2-smoke. My buddy Marc was shooting the vid and he gives a little laugh like he thought I wasn’t going to make it, but you can see me at the top towards the end. Then I gave it a little victory rev at the top. :moon:

th_2n17x-hill.jpg

I didn’t take very many pics, but here’s what I got…

From left to right, Greg, Gary, and Walt…

IMG_5750.jpg

Walt’s wounded Husky…

IMG_5751.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

My bike on Malcom waiting for Gary who was probably still cussing on that first hill… :ride:

IMG_5754.jpg

Panorama shots from Malcom…

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

Greg, followed by Gary coming down the hill…

IMG_5770.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

Gary’s wounded Husky after a dirt nap…

IMG_5777.jpg

Missing something Gary? :thumbsup:

IMG_5778.jpg

Another great ride report! :thumbsup: Were are the gps maps of those fast and furious fireroads we rode on friday! :moon:

I listed the links to the forest maps above. They have all those trails, I mean fire roads we rode on:smirk:

Gary’s wounded Husky after a dirt nap…

IMG_5777.jpg

Missing something Gary? :moon:

IMG_5778.jpg

I think Gary took Malcom much better than his Husky did that's for sure:lol:

I did plan 2 days of riding and I continued up to my cabin in Big Bear for my Friday ride with LTK300 and Gassyphil. We rode about 50 miles on Friday all in Big Bear. Nothing to exciting though. All fire roads to be honest :thumbsup:

I know. Fireroads is all LT will ride anymore. Might be doing some of those myself on Thurs. Thanks for the report.

Man, I'm having to re-think my thoughts about maybe getting a Husky.... :moon: :moon: :ride: :ride:

I was there when Craig's Honda attacked Walt's Husky. Nailed him right in the wheel bearing too - I saw him do it! It only lasted this long due to the supremacy of all things Husky! A KTM would have never survived the fracas.

:thumbsup:

I can't believe 9Lives is still peddling off this BS story:busted: . I'm surprised 9Lives doesn't carry a welder:smirk: on his rides or in his truck. That poor Husky has got more aftermarket welds and zip ties holding it together then any bike I've ever seen! I tell ya, I think Huskys hit the ground more then any other brand of bikes out there. I see that Gary hit the ground at least once!:moon:

Good ride report, I swear I'm going to make one of the rides with you guys soon.

Also the Malcom Smith trail is now the Big Bear Trail Riders Trail, as the club is the one doing the cleanup out there.