Giant Bog on my 250F-XCW

I took my 2009 out for its first ride today and was shocked at the jetting.

My dealer said that he jetted-it for our conditions ( Nor- Cal/ Hollister).

First it wouldn't stay running without the choke on. After a long warm-up I got it out of the parking lot only to have it bog,cough, backfire for about a 20 minute ride- it was horrible! My last bike is a 2004 honda 250X that had a powernow valve, accelerator pump cover, all the smog removed before I rode it, when I crank the throttle the front wheel comes off the ground. This KTM tries to stall when i hit it. Is this normal? I will take it back to the dealer on Tuesday to see what he says. Any similar problems? Suggestions? What a wasted day of riding, I'm bummed.

Nup, poor jetting or overlooked something on their part. Make sure you dont have to pay anything.

Sounds very lean. They run lean stock, but not that lean. My 07 will not run with the choke on after about a minute of warming up.

I go back to the dealer and have them get it right.

I did the JD kit and mine runs great at HH. JD also answers your email questions which was worth the $$ spent on the kit.

Your dealer may have used too small of pilot or it may be plugged.

I pretty strongly disagree with the statement that they come jetted too lean, stock needle is too lean just off idle, a bit rich after 1/2 throttle. The JD will run better but beware on just ordering the JD, he assumes we are working from stock! So if his combo uses stock pilot jet he does not send one and I think your dealer tampered with, went smaller on the pilot! I would go back to the Dealer, find out what changes he made and get the stock jets! Pilot should be about 40 or 42 and when held to the light you must see a clear round clean hole, blurry will not work!

First of all you need to know what the new jetting specs are !!

When they rejet the carb ask them to write down what the exact jetting is now - what needle is in there and all jet sizes - also you need to know how many turns out the fuel screw is !!!

THEN have them write down the " new specs that they set up.

Now you have something to base the performance off of .

Did you check the fuel screw ? Sounds like they may have it turned in way too much .

Do yourself a BIG favor and have them put a aftermarket fuel screw in when the rework the carb. You can not get to the stock screw and you will need to play with this at times. Get one that you can turn with your fingers !

That bike should rip - really a bummer about your first ride !!

You will love the bike when it runs better .

dp:thumbsup:

I pretty strongly disagree with the statement that they come jetted too lean, stock needle is too lean just off idle, a bit rich after 1/2 throttle.

This would explain the snap of the stock set up. It seemed like it had a power band. I kinda missed that once i installed the JD kit.

This would explain the snap of the stock set up. It seemed like it had a power band. I kinda missed that once i installed the JD kit.

That is why I quit running the JD needle. It took away too much of the snap. We were able to get the jetting dialed on my bike without using the JD kit, but we tried it out just to see if it made a difference, and it didn't make too much of a difference except that it took that snap away. Before we put the 300 kit in, I believe I was running the sx needle (or at least I was at one point) and that seemed to be perfect.

Sounds like a small piece of dirt got into the main when he reassembled it. Or the AP pump is not functioning properly ?

Update: I took my bike into the shop and it didn't show the problems I had at the track with the choke. Dealer said that it needs 300 miles to break-in. ( who wants to ride a choking bike for 300 miles?)I rode it up and down the street at my house and am still not happy with the jetting. I will find out the jetting and needle specs tomorrow and will post for some feedback.I appreciate all of the advice and I will install a fuel screw that I can adjust by hand as I ride from sea-level to 5-6000 ft. I have a race this weekend and will probably race my clapped-out 250X.Still bummed.

Update: I took my bike into the shop and it didn't show the problems I had at the track with the choke. Dealer said that it needs 300 miles to break-in. ( who wants to ride a choking bike for 300 miles?)I rode it up and down the street at my house and am still not happy with the jetting. I will find out the jetting and needle specs tomorrow and will post for some feedback.I appreciate all of the advice and I will install a fuel screw that I can adjust by hand as I ride from sea-level to 5-6000 ft. I have a race this weekend and will probably race my clapped-out 250X.Still bummed.

Even though the bike is not "broken in" yet, it should still not have jetting issues. A "broken in" bike does not change the jetting/carboration settings. Also, if you take the bike from sea level to 5-6,000 ft, you will need to do more than just adjust the fuel screw. That big of an altitude change will require minor jetting changes (ie. one size bigger on pilot and main, and possibly moving the needle position.) If you don't do the jetting change, expect it to sputter and act lean at 5-6,000 ft.

That big of an altitude change will require minor jetting changes (ie. one size bigger on pilot and main, and possibly moving the needle position.) If you don't do the jetting change, expect it to sputter and act lean at 5-6,000 ft.

Engines run richer at higher elevations and therefore may require leaner (not richer) jetting.

Engines run richer at higher elevations and therefore may require leaner (not richer) jetting.

That's what I meant, I just always forget which way it goes. :thumbsup: