Duel Spring Del Taco Ride Report!

I'll start with the facts.

Bike: 2008 CRF450R

Weight: 175 w/o gear

Skill: front-mid pack novice, motocross only (Int.-hardpack)

I was at Club Moto today in Livermore, CA with DaveJ's new Duel Spring Del Taco design. I had Dave do the work, because I wanted it done right the first time. The stock suspension on the 08' CRF450R is great at taking big hits, but it beats you to death in the chop, square edge bumps. This new kit really made the ride very smooth, and I was very impressed. It still handles the big stuff the way it did before, but it soaked up the hack like never before. Just for the record I had Dave service and modify the shock too. For the price you just can't beat it. Some of my friends have spent a grip of money on their suspension, and in my opinion DaveJ's work is just as good or better in many cases. I rode out a full tank of fuel at the track today. I'm saying this, because I usually tire out before a full tank. This kit is impressive. Thanks Dave!:thumbsup:

great report.

another:thumbsup: for dave

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be able to get mine dual spring set up in the next coming few months -- once everything has been worked out and stuff. I am happy with the std dell taco so far except for the known issues - but they don't really bother me too much... I'll just be happy to race with the new stuff in the spring. Only got a couple a rides left this year -- depends on the snow situation.

Maybe by then there will be something new/different for me to try out in my shock... All I have right now is the stock valving in it with the 215 oil.

:moon:

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be able to get mine dual spring set up in the next coming few months -- once everything has been worked out and stuff. I am happy with the std dell taco so far except for the known issues - but they don't really bother me too much... I'll just be happy to race with the new stuff in the spring. Only got a couple a rides left this year -- depends on the snow situation.

Maybe by then there will be something new/different for me to try out in my shock... All I have right now is the stock valving in it with the 215 oil.

:moon:

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Happy with the original design, but a few

details to work out. I'm sure there will be somthing new by then.

That, what makes it frustrating but fun. Maybe the dual spring thingy

might be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!:moon:

I'll start with the facts.

Bike: 2008 CRF450R

Weight: 175 w/o gear

Skill: front-mid pack novice, motocross only (Int.-hardpack)

I was at Club Moto today in Livermore, CA with DaveJ's new Duel Spring Del Taco design. I had Dave do the work, because I wanted it done right the first time. The stock suspension on the 08' CRF450R is great at taking big hits, but it beats you to death in the chop, square edge bumps. This new kit really made the ride very smooth, and I was very impressed. It still handles the big stuff the way it did before, but it soaked up the hack like never before. Just for the record I had Dave service and modify the shock too. For the price you just can't beat it. Some of my friends have spent a grip of money on their suspension, and in my opinion DaveJ's work is just as good or better in many cases. I rode out a full tank of fuel at the track today. I'm saying this, because I usually tire out before a full tank. This kit is impressive. Thanks Dave!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the update and let me know if we need to make any changes.

I've been beatin the snot out of a similar set-up (track and trail) on my YZ and it's the most universal twin chamber fork I've ever ridden. Having more room for the blow-off soaks up the big bumps and the faster rising rate cures the blow-through issue on the whoops. It also allows the EDPN and softer IC springs to be used so that your teeth don't get knocked out when you hit something while deep in the stroke. Didn't seem to matter if I was rock climbing in first gear or had it pinned in 5th. Very firm but still super plush. It’s a unique feeling.

So...matters of rod-speed and rod-position are much less of a concern now.

And as mentioned earlier, each of the two springs can be preloaded independent of the other so there should not be anything that we can't tune for. A few more parts, of course, but the assembly is not bad. I'll post some photos later on.

Hey Dave, Quick question? I was at a track today with a whoop section. The forks were soaking them up so good it was causeing the rear to kick up. Would you increase the race sag? I went in a couple clicks(H) on comp.on the forks,and went out two clicks comp on the shock. It seemed to help, I just don't know if I went about it the right way. Thanks, Steve

Hey Dave, Quick question? I was at a track today with a whoop section. The forks were soaking them up so good it was causeing the rear to kick up. Would you increase the race sag? I went in a couple clicks(H) on comp.on the forks,and went out two clicks comp on the shock. It seemed to help, I just don't know if I went about it the right way. Thanks, Steve

The damping on the forks is very immediate, so most likely it was transferring more weight to the back and perhaps pushing or packing it down.

If this is the case, then we need to study how the compression and rebound on the shock is working elsewhere on the rest of the track. I say that because this is one of those cases where less rebound and/or more compression can both fix the whoops problem, but one or the other may not be the ideal direction to take due to the consequences of doing so. We want to fix the core of the problem, not patch it.

With that, I want to discuss this in detail with you and since I still I owe you a call I'll give you a buzz next week and we'll cover this in detail.

Thanks for the feedback by the way. Good to know that everything is working out.

i'm not sure but i'm gonna agree with dave and say come off the rebound clicker a little,reason being;i've been fighting a nose heavy bike since i got my SH500 (i've finally got it semi balanced,i think the new dual spring taco setup should finally put it where it needs to be;maybe someday dave:banghead: ) anyhow during my quest for balance i found that going in on the rebound at around 8 out or so,the ass end would hop terribly (i mean TERRIBLY) and small square edged hits under accel would stop shaft movement dead; so i'm thinkin' if the rebound adjuster on the shock works in the same manner as the forks (closing off comp bleed when turned in) that the 215 oil does its non newtonian thing on the UHS low shaft movements and becomes too thick to bleed into the smaller bypass given at tighter reb settings ???? everything works fine when put back to 10 out:thumbsup:

Thanks for the update and let me know if we need to make any changes.

I've been beatin the snot out of a similar set-up (track and trail) on my YZ and it's the most universal twin chamber fork I've ever ridden. Having more room for the blow-off soaks up the big bumps and the faster rising rate cures the blow-through issue on the whoops. It also allows the EDPN and softer IC springs to be used so that your teeth don't get knocked out when you hit something while deep in the stroke. Didn't seem to matter if I was rock climbing in first gear or had it pinned in 5th. Very firm but still super plush. It’s a unique feeling.

So...matters of rod-speed and rod-position are much less of a concern now.

And as mentioned earlier, each of the two springs can be preloaded independent of the other so there should not be anything that we can't tune for. A few more parts, of course, but the assembly is not bad. I'll post some photos later on.

Any photos yet? Is it possible to buy these yet ? (yz250f-06 fork)

thanks Henric

Any photos yet? Is it possible to buy these yet ? (yz250f-06 fork)

thanks Henric

Sorry....been a bit busy to post photos but they are on the way.

And yes, we are shipping these out.

What about the 08 CRF showa forks? Have you got the upgrade for the std dell taco to the dual spring stuff?

Not that I need it right now, it would be nice to update it before March, cause thats when we start riding again.

What about the 08 CRF showa forks? Have you got the upgrade for the std dell taco to the dual spring stuff?

Not that I need it right now, it would be nice to update it before March, cause thats when we start riding again.

This thread was started based on 08' Showa forks.