Another Rekluse "First Ride" thread

Well, getting older, so decided to try the Rekluse Pro in the '08 KX450. A couple of Pro riders in Endurocross I know use these things, and they swear by them, so worth a try.

Installation: Installation was rather straight forward. I had read the instructions a number of times before I ordered the Rekluse, so when it arrived, I was ready to install. Since I wasn't in any hurry (hey, I was in the garage working on my bike, why hurry), I took my time and went slow. The auto clutch went in easy, and was really about as simple as installing a new clutch pack. I used the recommended balls (27), and the lighter of the two engagement RPM springs. I was done in about an hour, but that included a couple of phone calls.

Break-in: The first thing I did was to run through the break-in procedures exactly as stated in the instructions. At first, shifting not so smooth, but by the time I finished the break-in instructions, engagement was smooth, and shifting was exactly as normal before the installation.

First Ride: I started by riding the bike exactly as before, using the clutch just as before. The riding area was tight, technical, rocky single track in the trees, a place where I had spent a lot of times kicking the big KX after flaming out on a rocky uphills, 180 degree tight corners, or other such obstacle. Today, no flameouts, and dang, does this thing help you rip. No more worry about making sure I use the clutch to keep the bike running when the going gets slow. Just smooth riding.

This thing really shines as the trail gets worse, and I found myself standing through the ugliest sections of the trail, something I would never have done before for fear of needing to dab if the bike died.

I'm a decent Senior A rider, but the Rekluse increased my trail speed noticeably.

I did try to ride without pulling in the clutch, and just screwed myself up every time, ending up on the ground. By the end of the day, I decided that my brain is just too used to using the clutch, so I will stay with my subconscious, and use the clutch as normal. The one thing that is weird is the lack of compression braking at slow speed, which actually caused a couple of trips to the ground. As I dropped off a couple of edges, I used to use the engine to control my drop off an edge. With the Rekluse, the control is gone, and I dropped off and onto my head. This is going to take a little getting used to, as the brakes are now my only friend on these nasty downhill rock ledges. The advantages are certainly worth changing this aspect of my riding style.

As a note, I was running stock gearing 13/50, and only clicked into first two times. Even stayed in second through the worst sections. I'll have to change this practice over time, or I will probably be replacing fiber plates often, but it was interesting that the bike didn't complain one time at using second gear. In fact, for next weekend, I will be trying a 13/48 ratio, as I have never liked the first gear with stock ratio. Just too low for my tastes, even in the trees.

Final thoughts: Wish I would have bought one earlier...

Engine braking: I use a low speed engage, and a high idle speed (about 2050 rpm), and engine braking is normal for me. A lack of rear wheel speed can still never stall the engine.

The hard or soft hit is a matter of preference. Merit either way. Condition dependent. I use soft, and some/most days I get zero arm pump which is nice.

i used a rekluse on my RFS and didn't notice any difference with engine braking regardless of speed.

What is an RFS?

RFS refers to a pre 2008 KTM 4-stroke, as there was a major redesign in 2008.

Ah-ha. KTM thing, or humor? What's it stand for?

kxvett, I think that I'm putting a Rekluse on my birthday and Christmas wish list. Where's the best place to get a good deal?

I've been reading and I'm not clear...will someone give me a bottom-line explaination for the difference between the z-start and the z-start PRO?

IMO, don't even consider anything but the Pro, as having the clutch lets you ride just like before. I actually tried to ride without touching the clutch lever, and got all screwed up. My brain is just to used to have a finger on the clutch.

On the first ride, several folks who had previously owned the Rekluse without the clutch lever said they hated it, so sold them. After seeing how my Pro worked WITH the clutch lever, they were shocked at the difference. Got them thinking about another Rekluse.

As for price, call Rekluse, as they will often have used units with the same warranty but a lower price. I bought mine from Cycle Gear for $514 (retail is $629), but not sure most folks can get that price. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Here is a link that has a matrix of the differences. Bottom of the page. http://www.rekluse.com/z-Start-Pro.shtml

DELTA_41, bottom line for you: A) The pro model has the manual clutch lever there to use exactly like you do with a stock clutch. :moon: The pro model has two simple internal adjustments to make it work as you want. C) The pro model is ultra low maintenance. What follows are details for anyone else ...

I don't think the rekluse pro clutch is great for any engine, but on a healthy KX450F engine, it is really good. In fact I don't experience any disadvantage. :moon:

With the PRO installed, the stock clutch lever feels slack if the revs are in or below the auto clutch engagement slip speed range (3 options are low, med or high - quickly adjusted if you pop off the clutch top cover). With one finger on the control lever, and if your RPMs are down in the slip range, you can feel the auto clutch working, and it's amazingly accurate.

To maximize the available torque spread of your engine, (IMO) you should set the slip/engage rpm to that which the engine has a torque hit - for the KX this means low rpm which is big bonus because 1) you can retain engine braking and 2) use the full range of engine torque. With a low rpm slip range, once you reach about 4000 rpm there is no clue the auto clutch is installed. At 7000+ rpm the hand lever is much firmer than stock because its centrifugal force on the plates.

The pro model also has an adjustable soft or hard hit. By using more or less ball bearings weights. You set the hard or soft hit according to your preference/fitness or the conditions. In sand I'd like the hard hit, but for all round use I love the soft hit because my engine has too much bottom end "bark" for me most of the time.

For starts it can help if you screw up the manual clutch and/or traction is real poor. For low speed stuff everything is just easy. What's really cool is you can go mad with the rear brake in corners or in the air, and the rear wheel/brake can NEVER stall your engine. :thumbsup:

I'm curious why kxvett found himself needing the manual lever so much with the pro clutch installed. Perhaps throttle bog, or needing to pop the front wheel without the luxury of 2 secs notice.

btw: You can forget about doing standing full steering lock figure eights as a clutch control exercise. With the pro clutch suitably installed plenty of people could do this fun drill with their left hand on their ... lap.

Same goes for doing front wheel braking coasters and then dropping and popping into a rear wheel mono. Again no clutch required. But need be in 1st gear for this one.

If Chad Reed had one, he could ride slower with one hand and give heaps more kids high fives on the grandstand boundaries after his SuperX victories. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. The responses are great. My bottom line question is, Is the Pro much different from the z-start with perch adjuster? You got a killer deal Vett!

I have a rekluse pro in my 06 KX450 ( woods only) It was the best $ i ever spent other than the bike itself.

Ah-ha. KTM thing, or humor? What's it stand for?

Racing four stroke

I have a rekluse pro in my 06 KX450 ( woods only) It was the best $ i ever spent other than the bike itself.
Sounds good. How many ride hrs on your auto clutch now? How many hrs per oil drain? Ever had to adjust anything?

I'm curious why kxvett found himself needing the manual lever so much with the pro clutch installed. Perhaps throttle bog, or needing to pop the front wheel without the luxury of 2 secs notice.

I'm not sure why my brain has a need to pull in the clutch, as it is a complete waste of time with the Rekluse. When I tried to leave the clutch alone, I could not even ride around a corner.

I know, I know, stupid. It might be like trying to teach an old dog a new trick.

By the way, the Rekluse has absolutely no trouble pulling the front wheel up. Just think "Wheel Up", and the front rises. Like magic... :thumbsup:

I think I get what you mean. Well kind of ... :moon: You riding the big KX like a 2-stroke with clutch in for every corner but clutching for extended periods? No doubt you'll work something out.

Try find some loose loam/sand over a hard base, put down some witches hats for turn marks then hit it and do donuts and figure-eights around the hats with the rear wheel constantly spinning. Forget the clutch lever and enjoy.

I used to get arm pump after about the first 10 mins on my bike. The usual death grip problem. I'd rest, and it'd usually be gone for the day, but too bad if I couldn't do a 10 min warm up. :moon:

Yeah, front wheel comes up like a fork lift with the rekluse pro if setup right. Just dial on the height with the throttle then "hold". :thumbsup: